IGNORED

Restoring XEGS

JGRAHAM2

I have 2 of these I’m working on. They are dirty, but for the most part are in working order. The issue with both was the little micro switches under the Start, Option, Select, etc. I tried contact cleaner. Don’t do that. It quite effectively stopped all from working. Taking them apart, they are about as cheap of a device they could source. A rubber cup with a conductive coating shorting 2 tiny pads. I was able to resurrect them using CaiKote 44, but lesson learned. Try one first. I tried using a pencil to restore the conductive layer, but no deal. I had the CaiKote to fix a C128 keyboard. Anyway, on to my question. See the picture. Have you seen a XEGS case top warp like this? Any suggestions on straightening it? I have another and it is not like this. Also, I think the composite video out of this computer is pretty good, so I use my UAV for another one.

56B45A6E-FF12-422A-8E22-C7699139DB96.jpeg

1ABE1224-01C9-4F25-87F3-EC33B585DB6B.jpeg

A4D0489C-76D8-406C-89F0-CF8096A7B42A.jpeg

Edited by JGRAHAM2
Typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

Have you seen a XEGS case top warp like this? Any suggestions on straightening it?

56B45A6E-FF12-422A-8E22-C7699139DB96.jpeg

1ABE1224-01C9-4F25-87F3-EC33B585DB6B.jpeg

I had an ST do that. It was stored vertically in a box but outside of its original packaging in a hot attic. 

I was able to correct the warping using modeling clay and an oven. I used clay to make a mold that supported the back side of the case, and then used more of the heavy clay and a carefully applied clamp to apply pressure to to top side to counteract the bowing. I then placed it in an oven set as low as it would go (around 200ish Fahrenheit). You need the plastic to heat up enough to soften a bit, but not enough that it melts or deforms. You will also need to put this on a hard surface to take it in and out of the oven. Less is more. 

I’ve never done an XEGS, so this might or might not work for you. Be careful if you try it. I had nothing to lose, so I went for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

The issue with both was the little micro switches under the Start, Option, Select, etc

I managed to design an alternative using regular mousebutton microswitches (with 1x pin snipped off) and a 3D printed 'topper' - see pic. the tophat is inserted from inside so it cannot fall out and when installed it equates to the same height as the original.

the reset switch is very close to the shielding so i designed a slimmer topper for that one

if you use this method, make sure you insulate the snipped microswitch pins from the PCB using tape or such.

Hope this helps

IMG_2269.JPG

topper.jpg

mswitch topperV2.stl mswitch top-rstV2.stl mswitch tophatV2.stl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2