IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 2 - Lock N Chase

Sparty, you should really start video recording your gameplay and posting the scores on Twin Galaxies. After all this time, it’s clear that these aren’t all “miracles” or “lucky” games as you keep saying. I’ve seen them too many times now. ?. You are obviously great at a lot of games and you could make some waves on Twin Galaxies with your performances!!

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Matt you literally made my eyes well up! I appreciate that so much. Thank you ?? 

I check the Twin Galaxies scores to compare how I’m doing on my scores ... but for me it’s just too competitive. I’m very intimidated to do that :) 

This tournament is made for a guy like me. I love playing the games, and competing just for fun :) 

I think you won like 5 or 6 in a row last year, and I tried to get second place :) to keep up with you, so there’s plenty of competition here to keep me on my toes :) 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Insane score Sparty. Do you know a pattern or something? ?‍♂️

I’m glad to share my strategy ! It’s not really a pattern but a strategy. 

The cops don’t come out right away when you start the board so eat as many dots as you can and grab that free money bag. From there, since you’ve eaten a lot of dots, the second money bag will come out very quickly. Be ready. Grab that second money bag. 

by now, you’ve eaten almost half the dots and you basically got two free money bags. 

from there, I play very cautiously.  My goal is to not lose a life. Especially going after a well guarded money bag. Or a well guarded prize. 

I repeat on every level. 

hope it helps! That’s how I play it :) 

• Like 7

Hiya all..

There are two major differences, the most common is the 4K variation where Rupin will stop moment he is able to even in the middle on a straightaway section. The updated 6K version does NOT allow you to be stopped in a straight away. You'll know if you have the updated version if you get the Rupin folding into his hat when he dies (which was the animation on the Arcade Lock 'n Chase cabinet)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cparsley said:

Hiya all..

There are two major differences, the most common is the 4K variation where Rupin will stop moment he is able to even in the middle on a straightaway section. The updated 6K version does NOT allow you to be stopped in a straight away. You'll know if you have the updated version if you get the Rupin folding into his hat when he dies (which was the animation on the Arcade Lock 'n Chase cabinet)

Thanks, but I do believe his name is actually Lupin. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cparsley said:

Hiya all..

Hi Chris, I sent you a PM a while back. Nice to see ya in the HSC again, if you can try to hang around cuz this season is shaping up to be a real slugfest... ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cparsley said:

You would be correct in the Arcade version of LNC but Intellivision fearing a lawsuit over the name "Lupin" changed the L to an R to avoid that issue.

Good to know!  Wonder why they didn’t put the name in the manual though?  They just refer to him as “the thief”.  

Edited by IntyFanMatt

4 hours ago, cparsley said:

You would be correct in the Arcade version of LNC but Intellivision fearing a lawsuit over the name "Lupin" changed the L to an R to avoid that issue.

Given Lupin's popularity in Japan, it makes sense to replace the "L" for an "R"...

(since there is no L in Japanese, it usually gets approximated by an R)

Edited by cmadruga

Lupin on Intellivision is called the thief. 

There’s no Rupin. 

Mattel had the rights to Lock N Chsse, they could have used Lupin if they wanted to. No one would even know the character was called Lupin.  There may be a possibility that Mattel had to pay extra to use the name Lupin .. Mattel was very tough negotiators so they probably told them they can keep the name Lupin. 

I tried the homebrew version and Rupin collapses into his hat when he’s caught. I lost that cart so I can’t test it. It was supposed to be easier to control Rupin but its not easier. ❤️

Edited by INTELLIVISION SPARTAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Mattel had the rights to Lock N Chsse, they could have used Lupin if they wanted to. No one would even know the character was called Lupin.  There may be a possibility that Mattel had to pay extra to use the name Lupin .. Mattel was very tough negotiators so they probably told them they can keep the name Lupin. 

https://history.blueskyrangers.com/mattelelectronics/games/locknchase.html

FUN FACT: In the arcade version, the thief is named Lupin, but not in the Mattel Electronics version. Why not? In the early 1900s, French author Maurice LeBlanc wrote a series of books featuring Arsene Lupin: Gentleman Thief. The books became popular in Japan, where they later inspired a series of comic books that were even more popular. The problem: the comic books were not authorized by LeBlanc. At the time, it was difficult enforcing a French copyright in Japan, so Lupin entered Japanese culture, eventually becoming synonymous with the word "thief." The copyright was enforced in the United States, though, where the Japanese Lupin comics developed a following. In English translations, the name Lupin is often changed to Rupin to avoid the copyright problem. For the game Lock 'N' Chase, Mattel avoided the copyright problem by leaving out the name altogether.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

The homebrew was for sale in a black box instead of the red box. :) ❤️ But as I said... the controls aren’t easier to move Rupin. It just feels weird. 

Small correction on that:the game was for sale with the collapsing Lupin rom on cart only for a time on a website of which I forgot the name.

The last five cartridges from that website were auctioned off with this box.

20210203_130917.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

Small correction on that:the game was for sale with the collapsing Lupin rom on cart only for a time on a website of which I forgot the name.

The last five cartridges from that website were auctioned off with this box.

20210203_130917.jpg

Yes that’s it!!! I bought a cart many years ago... and it’s gone. Years later I saw a pic of this box on the internet! I should have known that you would have it LOL !!!

• Haha 1