IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 2 - Lock N Chase

5 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

I like this game, but I can't figure out the collision detection.

Can you believe I walked through an enemy once? Just like that.

Then I died a few seconds later when another enemy caught me.

The collision detection is awful, and the controls suck too, other than that it's ok.  ?  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, cmadruga said:

I like this game, but I can't figure out the collision detection.

Can you believe I walked through an enemy once? Just like that.

Then I died a few seconds later when another enemy caught me.

The collision detection is not by pixel or bounding boxes, it's by object coordinates and a grid.  It would be possible for one object to leave one grid square while another object enters the same grid square.  The two objects can pass through each other without ever being in the same grid square at the same time.  Namco's Pacman works the same way.

---------

I've seen three variations of arcade lock'n'chase, none of them have the name Lupin in them.  Each of the four cops are nicknamed in all the versions.  There is an unrelated 1980 arcade game called Lupin III with a credit to the cartoon.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

I think the manual also says that you 'can' pass thru the policemen, but it's rare and you never know when it's gonna happen. I've had it happen a few times.... It's one of the most frustrating games on the entire Inty platform..... It's right up there with Beauty & the Beast.... ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

I think the manual also says that you 'can' pass thru the policemen, but it's rare and you never know when it's gonna happen. I've had it happen a few times.... It's one of the most frustrating games on the entire Inty platform..... It's right up there with Beauty & the Beast.... ?

Totally agree Rick, this game is maddening beyond belief.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The collision detection is not by pixel or bounding boxes, it's by object coordinates and a grid.  It would be possible for one object to leave one grid square while another object enters the same grid square.  The two objects can pass through each other without ever being in the same grid square at the same time.  Namco's Pacman works the same way.

But why not just use hardware collision? 

6 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Another instance of manuals warning players of bugs using euphemistic terms...

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, cmadruga said:

But why not just use hardware collision? 

They want the game play to be similar to the arcade.

When I was a kid I thought it had to do with the cop looking the other way as I passed through, but one of the guys here explained it and there's tons of analysis on pacman explaining it.

1 minute ago, mr_me said:

They want the game play to be similar to the arcade.

When I was a kid I thought it had to do with the cop looking the other way as I passed through, but one of the guys here explained it and there's tons of analysis on pacman explaining it.

Well, I don’t see how using hardware collision would change gameplay. It just looks like a more convoluted way to do something simple. Anyway, I’m sure there is more to it.

My Lock 'N' Chase Update: Minor improvement as usual. Now I know how Daniel felt going up against Goliath... ? Some of these scores you guys are putting up are INSANE!!! ?

LNC(37800)HSC14.jpg.3b990e348f921194f3bf25f4d91d7d54.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 7

I may play just in spots this season. Lock ‘N’ Chase brought me out. I was sad I missed it (and Burgertime) a year ago when you played and I started the season late. L N C was the first new Intellivision game my family got (Spring 1983) after the initial ones we got for Christmas in 1982.
The cops are tough. I wish there was a little overlap allowed before you’re considered caught. I’ve been to the heart board several times but have never been able to clear it. I hope I can get back there. 

9EADF9CB-E45B-4564-A7C2-EF5C348B353E.jpeg

• Like 8

On 2/3/2021 at 6:17 PM, Rickster8 said:

Welcome to the INTV idea, if you DOCUMENT it, its NO LONGER a BUG, but a FEATURE :)

• Haha 2