IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Challenge 02/2021 Gyruss (auto)

zylon

Our game for February is the "autofire hack" of Gyruss, since we just did plenty of shooting, I thought this short month would be great to introduce a new game. I've tested this and the game plays and scores the same, with only fire being auto.  For those not able to play this Rom, you can use the original release and I will give a +1 HSC pt for the effort. Wico may be used without penalty this round. Otherwise, play on defaults using real 5200 systems and controls. Only modern exceptions allowed are flashcarts/SD loaders running the supplied Rom. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Round ends when month does.

No record yet exists for this one! Fix that oversight boy's ;)

Final scores-

220,400  DamonicFury+1+11=12

78,700  zylon +10

76,250  Bemis+1+9=10

46,050  jetset+1+8=9

26,600  rubeon +7

23,050  RangerG +6

current standings-

rubeon - 11

jetset - 10

zylon - 9 

DamonicFury - 8

Bemis - 7

RangerG - 6

Gyruss-autofire.bin

Edited by zylon

5 hours ago, DamonicFury said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

What's all the pain without reward? This hack makes the game truly fun for all, just we'll break it in 1983 style. ? All you have to do is hold in a button, so all controllers are equal this time.

Last round gave folks quite the beating, I'm sure, lol

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any advice on how to better use the joystick? I can only use it in the top half of the circle. I see old threads where some people say it is the game and others that it is the controller and others say it the person playing. My controller works on other games but it is a mess with Gyruss, gets stuck in the top half.

31 minutes ago, RangerG said:

Any advice on how to better use the joystick? I can only use it in the top half of the circle. I see old threads where some people say it is the game and others that it is the controller and others say it the person playing. My controller works on other games but it is a mess with Gyruss, gets stuck in the top half.

It’s certainly the programming to blame... as you say, most games don’t have this issue.  Your best bet is to make an adjustment inside the console itself, as explained in this thread:

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2021 at 7:59 PM, RangerG said:

That’s a good thread, thanks. Looks like I have some work to do.

Of my two controllers handy, one works on this game, and the other only kinda. While fun, it's definitely one of our oddball games on 5200

On 2/24/2021 at 7:18 PM, RangerG said:

Dont play it like moving left will just make you spin left and right spins you right. Use the controller like it's a clock, going in a circular motion. This is a tough game to adapt to with the stock controllers, but apart from the fire button I think it works just as well if not better than a digital controller.

76,250 (non autofire).

I could not get my flash cart to work, so I played a few rounds of the game on my standard cart.  My stock 5200 controller had the same rotation problem mentioned in this thread, so I used a Wico.  Regardless, this is a great game.

Image.jpeg

11 hours ago, jetset said:

Dont play it like moving left will just make you spin left and right spins you right. Use the controller like it's a clock, going in a circular motion. This is a tough game to adapt to with the stock controllers, but apart from the fire button I think it works just as well if not better than a digital controller.

Mine only works perfectly with the top off, lol

Feb ends with a bang and a mixed finish. Defending champ DamonicFury bagged the win in stellar fashion, but not the record, while 2nd place set the 1st benchmark on this title. I intend to run maybe 2 of these "possible" games in our annual run. Fair warning- Millipede is planned...

Thanks to all who played, and suffered great pains, this round ;) Our next challenge will be up tonight.

I'm sure I'll get smoked off that title the next time either HSC plays this, lol.

Final scores-

220,400  DamonicFury+1+11=12

78,700  zylon +10

76,250  Bemis+1+9=10

46,050  jetset+1+8=9

26,600  rubeon +7

23,050  RangerG +6

Edited by zylon

18 hours ago, zylon said:

autofire or standard for this run? There is no Wico penalty this round for anyone.

Still standard.  Didn’t bother putting the hack on the multicart as hitting the fire repeatedly on the Wico wasn’t a problem.  

• Like 1