IGNORED

CD Game Benefits w/GD

Goochman

So it appears GD emulation of the CD is on the horizon - Im curious if there is any benefit for devs to create more "CD" images vs Cart games moving forward?  As I understand it "CD" games eat away at the limited Jag memory but provide more storage for FMV type assets vs a cart so is the memory penalty worth it?

Just curious if with the GD emulation that devs might favor more "CD" based games or not?

Edited by Goochman

I would think with rise of you tube a choose your adventure type game where you just pick from 3 possible scenarios would be semi easy to do, granted I'm not a programmer.

But yes the jump from cart to cd lead to some awful games, they were either cart games with videos inserted or fmv games that weren't fun.

Playstation and Saturn are the 1st wave that had mainly good games.  SEGA CD/3DO/CDi ratio of good to bad games was about the same as the Jag

The Jaguar can't play CD Audio for 'free' like other systems because the Jaguar treats CD Audio as a data stream that it has to read and process via an interrupt, and then mix in with anything else its currently doing.

Like everything else JaguarCD related, its horrific.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

The Jaguar can't play CD Audio for 'free' like other systems because the Jaguar treats CD Audio as a data stream that it has to read and process via an interrupt, and then mix in with anything else its currently doing.

That is fairly horrific and explains a lot on why we don't see the Jag CD being used as a tag-on soundtrack for games.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 9:25 AM, Pete5125 said:

Playstation and Saturn are the 1st wave that had mainly good games.  SEGA CD/3DO/CDi ratio of good to bad games was about the same as the Jag

I'd argue in favor of the PC Engine-CD.  That thing had tons of amazing games.  The Japanese library is enormous, so I can't comment on the ratio of good to bad games.  But for that matter, how many crappy FMV games are on the Sega CD?  It can't be a major component of that game library.  And there are plenty of awesome Sega CD games anyway.

4 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Isn’t that only true with red book audio games? Which I guess would be all official released CD games? (Except Primal Rage?) since AFAIK, load the levels and then play the audio track while the game runs from RAM?

46 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

Isn’t that only true with red book audio games? Which I guess would be all official released CD games? (Except Primal Rage?) since AFAIK, load the levels and then play the audio track while the game runs from RAM?

Either way, you are streaming data from the CD and processing it. Half a dozen of one....  It's a mess either way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

I think he's saying it's a mess but not impossible. The VLM manages. Probably not as easy as other systems doing something similar.

Edited by JagChris