IGNORED

BASIC 10 Liner Contest 2021

carlsson

The 2021 edition of the BASIC 10 Liner Contest was just announced. Last year marked 10 years anniversary, this year marks the 10th time it is held.

Just like previously, the following categories are available:

PUR-80 (only using the built-in BASIC version, max 80 characters including abbreviations)
PUR-120 (using any BASIC version, max 120 characters)
EXTREME-256 (using any BASIC version, max 256 characters)
SCHAU (demos, tools, non-game applications, max 256 characters)

Submitted programs that don't meet any of the above categories are summarized in a WILD category.

Of course it is open for all types of 8-bit systems with BASIC, though it feels like Atari 8-bit is the original?

The deadline for submissions is Saturday, March 27 2021 at 6 PM CET with awards on Saturday, April 10.

https://gkanold.server.deerpower.de/

https://twitter.com/Basic10L

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

On 2/2/2021 at 2:44 AM, vitoco said:

I submitted my first game for this year's contest: Patrol

PATROL.PNG.ac068917cc23b78b0a37e0d5db13ded1.PNG

It is a playable improvement of an horizontal scrolling demo I wrote last year using the DLI feature of @dmsc's Fastbasic. (post)

Will wait a little longer with downloading it, because sooner or later TIX (or playsoft) will do a new version with improved sprites, errmm, pm gfx and other stuff and name it Patrol Redux...  ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 2/3/2021 at 4:18 PM, snicklin said:

This contest gets more ridiculous every year.

By 2030, one of the people here will have Quake in ten lines.

I just do not know how you manage this.

Indeed, I'm still unable to workout how that Sim City clone was even possible to do on a C16 in PUR-80, though to be a Good BASIC coder and produce a game without flaws is one thing, being Clever and applying Cunning tactics is another for that example. An EXTREM-256 can use any BASIC you like and it's my understanding FastBASIC is being Developed further each year, so yes there maybe a Quake game sooner than 2030.

Quake might be expecting a bit too much, but certainly a first person racer in the style of Pole Position, Out Run etc. Or perhaps that has already been done in the previous years but I missed it?

Edit: Aha, there was an OuTenRun for MSX1 and Tendrive120 for C64 last year.

Edited by carlsson

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

Quake might be expecting a bit too much, but certainly a first person racer in the style of Pole Position, Out Run etc. Or perhaps that has already been done in the previous years but I missed it?

Long story short: I gave a try to program tenliners when I knew that @dmsc (author of Fastbasic) won this contest in 2015 with "Carrera 3D". Fastbasic includes a modified version of this game as an example.

That game inspired me to program another game with 3D perspective like Quake, and Where's my cheese! was the result. It won its category in 2016.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

Hi @carlsson !

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

As @vitoco said, this is my original "carrera3d" post, from 2015: 

I think that using "newer" tenliner techniques a few more things could be added to the gameplay.

Have Fun!

Unfortunately I find that the 10Liners website is so sluggish to navigate that it is almost impossible to keep up with previous entries. Most of the time my browsers ask me if I should wait a bit longer or close the tab, which only applies to that site. Some kind of archive of all previous games with screenshots, download links, possible to order by year, platform or even developer would be great, if only it was fast and easy to navigate.

12 hours ago, carlsson said:

Unfortunately I find that the 10Liners website is so sluggish to navigate that it is almost impossible to keep up with previous entries. Most of the time my browsers ask me if I should wait a bit longer or close the tab, which only applies to that site. Some kind of archive of all previous games with screenshots, download links, possible to order by year, platform or even developer would be great, if only it was fast and easy to navigate.

Yeah, basic10mania would be cool...

Unfortunately I'm not a web designer...

If anybody wants to invest 2-3 hours a day over 2 months, you are heartly invited.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just submitted another game to the contest: Hubert

HUBERT.PNG.8e21637cb7343af4fb69e613d10adcc3.PNG

Sorry, no space for sprites this time because it was written in Atari BASIC for the PUR-80 category, but it has 5 different levels and an enemy.

On 2/5/2021 at 5:04 PM, Bunsen said:

If anybody wants to invest 2-3 hours a day over 2 months, you are heartly invited.

I just discovered your other site in bunsen.itch.io with profiles for each entry. It looks great! Thank you!!!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, vitoco said:

I've just submitted another game to the contest: Hubert

HUBERT.PNG.8e21637cb7343af4fb69e613d10adcc3.PNG

Sorry, no space for sprites this time because it was written in Atari BASIC for the PUR-80 category, but it has 5 different levels and an enemy.

I just discovered your other site in bunsen.itch.io with profiles for each entry. It looks great! Thank you!!!

Ah! Is that using the Pascal's Triangle problem with Characters in Hubert?

4 minutes ago, Mathy said:

You are using a "Q".  Shouldn't that either be an "H" or better yet, a "U"?

Ha, ha, ha... As I couldn't redefine the charser (lack of space), I tried many symbols and letters for both the characters and playfield. Those include A, O, 0, &, I, T, Y, #, =, -, " and ^ in multiple combinations. But I feel that the ones I selected were the best that fit the purpose. ATASCII "Q" was selected for the main character not because of the original name, but because it is round and it seems to have a nose. If not a nose, small feet.

There already is a german type-in listing named "Hubert" - a Q-Bert clone.

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=6955

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?dl=347|HUBEBERT

http://ataribasiclistings.mygamesonline.org/Homecomputer/Homecomputer_1986.7z

Released 1986 in the german Homecomputer magazine. Maybe you can name your version Ben-10, errmmm, Hubert 10 ?

I'm writing another quickie basic game, that's intended really to be a node for an extensible adventure game called 'grow'....that part isn't important, except, I'm writing it and maybe I find it interesting to limit it to 10 lines.... but yeah, I have no idea what I would run into with that.  Anyway, the game is two-dice pig.   So, if I were to go for it (pur-80 category) what advice do you pro's have?

What I'm asking for, is to be competitive, would a dice game even work?  What level of animation would you expect?

This video is on youtube, of a 2d dice roll animation, I was thinking of going with something like that.  Well, wasn't even thinking of 10 lines, and was kind of pondering what would be acceptable as a 'roll'.  

Or is it more like ,dude you better squeeze 3d ray tracing, or stay at home type of deal?  I have no idea, never thought about such a contest before.  the first post, seemed interesting.

Then I saw the moon patrol clone...and kind of decided there really isn't any hope, is there, haha :)

5 hours ago, Mark2008 said:

I'm writing another quickie basic game, that's intended really to be a node for an extensible adventure game called 'grow'....that part isn't important, except, I'm writing it and maybe I find it interesting to limit it to 10 lines.... but yeah, I have no idea what I would run into with that.  Anyway, the game is two-dice pig.   So, if I were to go for it (pur-80 category) what advice do you pro's have?

What I'm asking for, is to be competitive, would a dice game even work?  What level of animation would you expect?

This video is on youtube, of a 2d dice roll animation, I was thinking of going with something like that.  Well, wasn't even thinking of 10 lines, and was kind of pondering what would be acceptable as a 'roll'.  

Or is it more like ,dude you better squeeze 3d ray tracing, or stay at home type of deal?  I have no idea, never thought about such a contest before.  the first post, seemed interesting.

Then I saw the moon patrol clone...and kind of decided there really isn't any hope, is there, haha :)

I don't see it as a competition but a personal challenge, and I think many others do too.  So many hobby programmers never actually finish anything, with just 10 lines you can finally make a complete game :) 

Anything is acceptable.  Do your best, maybe learn some new technique, and have fun.

• Like 3

In 2017 I wrote a game and submitted it to the PUR-120 category, it scored 7.80 and came 5th, had I made it a little fatter and submitted it to the EXTREM-256 category, it might of been equal or 3rd outright, so yes, it's a personal challenge deciding which category to put your code in. ?

i just found someone did an entry last year called poke pig.  even described it as inspired by the dice game pig.  well at least it wasnt literally the same game 

i like contests, real competitions where you compete to win, what the hells wrong with that

nothing, ya i thought you’d agree—-silliness