IGNORED

BASIC 10 Liner Contest 2021

carlsson

5 minutes ago, vitoco said:

Hey!

James and Tanya will play all the tenliners I've published during the @ZeroPage Homebrew livestream tonight at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day

ZPH-20210907-LetsPlay-tenliners.thumb.jpg.4e83e481dc347c9f4596a863dc6e7b1d.jpg

This will be a marathon of 35 games in about 3 hours.

https://www.facebook.com/zeropagehomebrew/posts/1681712908886235

Super cool !   

Wow, 35.    I have a ways to go with my measly 8.   :)

Should be great too see them shoot through all your games. 

• Like 1

For those who missed it, it is now available in YouTube:

On 9/8/2021 at 5:25 AM, AMSDOS said:

Why not play all the games from the 2021 contest?

I guess you mean just the 14 Atari titles, because this year there were 146 entries in total for all the 8bit machines, and that would be a very long show ?

8 minutes per game for a two hours show seems good for those 14 titles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 5:07 AM, AMSDOS said:

I have never made a 10-Liner game which lasted for 8 minutes and I think some of them would be struggling to make the minute mark.

In the HSC, we took a stab at the A8 games from 2019. I played through 15 of those (some not published, some not really games) and my play time ranged from 1-13 minutes per game with an average of 4.5 minutes. That was not play testing, but to really try to set some scores.

But even limiting yourself to 1 minuter per game with nearly 150 go through would make the stream 2.5 hours long plus time to switch between emulators etc, probably closer to 3 hours if you happen to find some game that deserves a longer play.

39 minutes ago, carlsson said:

But even limiting yourself to 1 minuter per game with nearly 150 go through would make the stream 2.5 hours long plus time to switch between emulators etc, probably closer to 3 hours if you happen to find some game that deserves a longer play.

This was why I was thinking an Atari-exclusive stream would be more doable.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 11:07 PM, AMSDOS said:

No, I meant every game, though I would simply present an overview of each game for 1 minute, while presenting a bit of the action.

It is doable, but not LIVE. This is more like an EDITED REVIEW of the contest entries, commenting an overview of the game while showing the best part of it.

BTW, it was really a shame that @skr couldn't do the live review of the entries that where in the podium this year.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:07 PM, AMSDOS said:

I have never made a 10-Liner game which lasted for 8 minutes and I think some of them would be struggling to make the minute mark.

Some of my games have a time limit, other became hard to beat after a couple of minutes, but there are many that behave like an endless runner, and a few ones that can take the whole day to play a single game (like The Children).

Nobody watches things Live these days (at least not here), so I was referring to it being a fully edited 1 minute presentation of each game from the BASIC 10-Liners 2021, if that's too many, then perhaps a look at the games which didn't rate highly?

I'm somewhat Biased though because my game scored poorly this year, it lacked Sound and I changed the controls because my earlier games we too responsive, though it did everything I wanted it, I guess it wasn't challenging enough. I could adapt the code I made from 'Pick a Path Red' to move the scenery and have a Boucing Ball, boucing between the walls and avoiding certain coloured walls, which would make for a more challenging game.

• 3 months later...

Hello 0xC0FFEE

23 hours ago, OxC0FFEE said:

I'm looking forward to the 2022 Basic 10 Liner contest. My current struggle is figuring out which one or several of my ideas is good enough to give it a shot.

My guess would be that the 2022 BASIC 10 Liner contests deadline will be the NOMAM meeting in April.  (8th - 10th)  That would give you just under three months to try something.  Why not try out a couple and see which one(s) lead to something?

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, AMSDOS said:

I think people can also wish to have their entry withheld until after the due date.

From the contest page:

There is a change in the presentation. A detailed overview of the submitted programs can be found at bunsen.itch.io. The information is presented in a reduced form on the homepage. Every programmer can choose whether the program is published immediately or only after the deadline

I think that all the entries will be shown in the contest page when they are received by Bunsen. What could be chosen to be delayed is the publication of it at the site bunsen.itch.io, where all the entries are published in detail, downloadable, with instructions and source listing.

3. Programs may be compiled (source must still be submitted)

This new rule allows crosscompiled programs, but also allows slow programs to be interesting to play. Somehow, I feel that now I can submit a FastBasic XEX without blushing, even though I've always sent the 10 lines of source code and the FastBasic IDE to load it, parse it and run.

10. The program must be listable (The LIST command must produce a readable program listing)

Even though there is no LIST command in FastBasic (you can edit your code in its built-in text editor), you can expand abbreviated source listing using option "-l" of the crosscompiler.

The remaining changes just make more explicit how to send an entry, specially for systems that might not be known by the panel of judges (not experts on every platform/emulator). The categories are the usual 3 ones and WILD for other programs.

Now, I have to think in new ideas to submit in Atari BASIC for the PUR-80 category.