IGNORED

BASIC 10 Liner Contest 2021

carlsson

55 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Wow Vitoco, "The Children" is amazing! Great Job. Looking forward to trying all the other Atari entries in the morning

I second that.   Instant Atari classic ! 

I was stuck on zone 7 for a bit.  Haven't gotten past zone 9 yet.   Really clever and well executed game!

7 minutes ago, erichenneke said:

I was stuck on zone 7 for a bit.  Haven't gotten past zone 9 yet.

Ha, ha, ha... It took many days for my beta-testers to complete the game. I got their feedback, made some adjustments and changed the order of the zones according to the reported challenge level. The last two zones are the ones they said it took more than a day to solve. Well, some of them couldn't solve one or both of them, and I had to show the solution in a live stream (unrecorded, BTW).

It could be interesting to see someone trying to complete the game in a live!!! ?

Please, let me know here if someone completes the game, posting the last screen. Without cheating... (the source code was also released)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Philsan said:

If you don't input correct number, you get an error.

2020 disk displayed again the menu.

This menu program is not the same than the 2020 one... it seems that a TRAP is missing just before the INPUT in line 170.

1 hour ago, Philsan said:

I found that when compilation's disk autoruns AUTORUN.BAS, categories don't appear:

If you type RUN "D:MENU.BAS", categories appear:

To fix both issues, load the MENU.BAS program, copy the line 175 as 165 and save it again as both MENU.BAS and AUTORUN.BAS (or copy the updated menu to replace the autorun using the DOS).

I could fix the ATR in my site, but it is the official one... Should I?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vitoco said:

This menu program is not the same than the 2020 one... it seems that a TRAP is missing just before the INPUT in line 170.

To fix both issues, load the MENU.BAS program, copy the line 175 as 165 and save it again as both MENU.BAS and AUTORUN.BAS (or copy the updated menu to replace the autorun using the DOS).

Your fix works, I've done it. I hope @skr or @Bunsen fix ATR and update website.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vitoco said:

You MUST, master Vitoco.

• Like 2

I've updated the ATR in my website with the fixes I said.

I was told to make my own compilation again, including the TXT files as an option to display game docs, but I discarded that because the free space is only 16 sectors (less than 2k), not enough for all the games documentation without upgrading the ATR to enhanced density. I'll think about this anyway...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vitoco said:

I've updated the ATR in my website with the fixes I said.

I was told to make my own compilation again, including the TXT files as an option to display game docs, but I discarded that because the free space is only 16 sectors (less than 2k), not enough for all the games documentation without upgrading the ATR to enhanced density. I'll think about this anyway...

For what it's worth, the purge.atr image already has an atascii friendly purgedoc.txt file on it with the user manual text.  So I hope that helps! 

Edited by erichenneke

7 hours ago, vitoco said:

The ATR was updated again... This time the file menu includes the docs of the games in an enhanced density disk. The listing is sorted in the same order they were submitted to the contest (except Golf, the two versions are side by side). The docs are at the end of the listing in the same order. If you select a doc, you can read line by line pressing enter and page by page pressing space bar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vitoco said:

The ATR was updated again... This time the file menu includes the docs of the games in an enhanced density disk. The listing is sorted in the same order they were submitted to the contest (except Golf, the two versions are side by side). The docs are at the end of the listing in the same order. If you select a doc, you can read line by line pressing enter and page by page pressing space bar.

... and again!!!!

@OxC0FFEE requested me to add the official documentation of "Golf on Mt. Fuji", so I did it :-D

Someone else? :lol:

Please note that this ATR is my own compilation, and the official one can be found in @Bunsen's site: https://gkanold.wixsite.com/homeputerium/downloads-2021

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, vitoco said:

... and again!!!!

@OxC0FFEE requested me to add the official documentation of "Golf on Mt. Fuji", so I did it :-D

Someone else? :lol:

Future request: Please "convert" all your TB XL programs into Fast Basic programs (e.g. re-write them from scratch and then compile them)...  ;-)

Why ? Fast Basic works on 48k machines, Fast Basic is much shorter than TB XL (66 vs. 145 sectors) and most of all, compiled Fast Basic programs are much shorter than compiled (+linked) TB XL programs.

Of course, since I am NOT a programmer, I have really no clue how much work this would be (and if it would be possible). But I really like those short/small Fast Basic COM/XEX programs.  ;-)

...and then Vitoco renamed his pseudo into "Don't ask software"...  ;-)

I'd be curious how people are doing on Purge ?   

If you have a really good joystick it makes a difference!  :)

I can make it to wave 11 or 12 pretty regularly now but have a really hard time getting past 13. 

My "best" was a game that was exceptionally going well for me and I made it to wave 15 (with a good ole CX40 joystick of course!).  

From all my play testing, I am sure I became somewhat of an expert by accident, so I'm not a fair comparison.  I think it starts getting really challenging around wave 6, 7 and higher. 

Remember that even though the first couple waves SEEM ridiculously easy because you get a lot of energy to start them and the Orb colonies are small, you still need to finish them as quickly as you can and carry that remaining energy buffer forward to the next wave.  This is key to doing well over the entire course of a game session as the size of each new Orb colony grows.

Edited by erichenneke

1 hour ago, erichenneke said:

I'd be curious how people are doing on Purge ?

I tried it only once in real hardware (while testing my ATR with the compilation and docs), and I guess I got wave 4 or so...  I also reached level 3 on Rockfall, 13000 points on Noxious, Zone 2 on The Children, just 1 rock on Jump at the 3rd try, reached Point P on Patrol, got ~15 enemies on Crasher, completed Hubert and Fujigolf (it was strange that the last ~4 holes were straight and I could do 3 "hole in one" in a row), died at the first movement on NanoRogue, completed the first screen of Floh (in the second one the flea fell off directly when it appeared), AstroInvaders locked when remained only 3 or 4 enemies, scored a bit more than 700 on Red Pill, won against myself on Red or Blue (or did I loose?), and I let the Mandelbrot Explorer running the rest of the night (the result I got the next day was beautiful, but I was dissappointed when I moved the joystick and it started all again!).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The online demo compo fORNDATA this year were planning to have a kind of PUR-40 contest but after my input decided adapt the BASIC 10Liners rules in the PUR-80 category. Rather than games, the idea was more aimed towards demo effects. Unfortunately I was the only participant so I happened to win the contest with my VIC-20 entry. :-D Given how the C64 people have become more and more dominant in the original contest, I did expect at least some competition but perhaps it wasn't advertised within the right circles or those who make BASIC games are not interested in the demo scene.

For those curious, this was my final entry:

1 dA32,108,123,98,124,225,255,254,126,127,97,252,226,251,236,160,130,137,150
2 dA161,167,176,185,189,196,202,208,211,216,220,"forn-"," data","2021!","zapac"
3 dId(16),n(13):v=36874:pOv+4,15:pOv+5,8:fOi=0to15:rEd(i):nE:fOi=0to13
4 rEn(i):nE:fOi=1to4:rEs$(i):nE:w$="fghmlkhfedjigercdekjihgbcba@av":y=32768
5 wl=len(w$):?cH(147):fOi=0to21:pO7724+i,160:pO8142+i,160:k=int(rnd(1)*7)+1
6 pO38444+i,k:pO38862+i,k:nE:fOk=1to4:fOl=1tolen(s$(k)):t=aS(mI(s$(k),l))
7 t=taN63:x=y+8*t:fOj=0to3:fOi=0to3:a=pE(x+i*2)*4^j:b=pE(x+i*2+1)*4^j
8 c=(aaN192)/16+(baN192)/64:pO7681+k*88+i*22+(l-1)*4+j,d(c):nEi,j,l,k:x=1:dx=1
9 fOi=1towl:k=aS(mI(w$,i)):pOv+2,n(kaN15):fOj=1to128+(kaN16)*8:nEj
10 pO7680+x,32:x=x+dx:dx=dx+2*dx*(x<1orx>20):pO7680+x,81:nEi:gO9

chunkyforn.png.cff3d55d393419b1a523934e2d9d5e54.png

chunkyforn.prg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...