IGNORED

Looking to trade:unused Gemini for working Jaguar

I have an unused complete Coleco Gemini system with Venture cart. It is in the original styrofoam but has no box. The foam is not in great shape on the outside as the person who shipped it to me just taped it and didn't wrap it. I would like to trade for a working Jaguar system with at least one controller and game. Anyone interested?

20D1E3C7-5573-4A14-A878-DB110582C006.thumb.jpeg.ba8faa72889813fd5f4a51ff0e9db60f.jpeg

2 hours ago, DidSomeoneSayAtari? said:

It looks like the last bit of Jaguars(like the one I am asking for) sold on Ebay for about $300 each. That's not exactly a kings ransom. I have nothing to lose by offering this up. I see good Geminis going for that and only one other untouched one even available.  

The $250-$300 Gemini sales all appear to have the box, which you do not. You have the styrofoam, sure, but the premium is in the entire package serving as a display piece.

Nobody's really chasing after a 2600 clone to play on it...

19 hours ago, Machine said:

How do you know it is unused???

None of the contact points show any sign of wear, the cords are all wrapped up nicely with the same ties and it looks untouched. The guy I got it from also said it was never used. If someone used it they did a fine job of hiding the fact. Why would they go through all that trouble for something that they probably bought for $50 in the early eighties? Can I say with 100% certainty that it is unused, no but it passes the eye test enough for me to say it. 

1 hour ago, DidSomeoneSayAtari? said:

None of the contact points show any sign of wear, the cords are all wrapped up nicely with the same ties and it looks untouched. The guy I got it from also said it was never used. If someone used it they did a fine job of hiding the fact. Why would they go through all that trouble for something that they probably bought for $50 in the early eighties? Can I say with 100% certainty that it is unused, no but it passes the eye test enough for me to say it. 

That all means nothing. It could have been wrapped up nicely in order to be returned to the place of purchase because it didn't work.

It's open. Might as well test the thing and make sure it works. Trust me, you can return those twisty ties exactly to their perfect locations on the wires when done.

At this point I'm not doing anything to it. It's a nice piece and the early interest it has garnered on ebay indicates it will fetch a fair price. I'll be Jag shopping next week if anyone has one they would like to sell. It doesn't have to be pristine because I will take it apart, tinker with it, admire it and play it. I wasn't sure what I wanted when I started collecting last year and bought the Gemini on a whim. I found out that I enjoy taking these things apart, recapping them and cleaning them just as much as I do playing them. I'll buy a used Gemini and do the same to it but the one I have is nice enough to be in someone's collection. Until then I have a fresh 7800 to rip into. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, DidSomeoneSayAtari? said:

It's a nice piece and the early interest it has garnered on ebay indicates it will fetch a fair price.

You mean the absolutely no bids with 7 people watching just to see what happens?  Don't be surprised if someone who was willing to give your $125 opening bid puts in a (100 percent valid) "not as described" claim against you cause this is not an unused new item. You can see surface marks on the console already just from the pictures you provided, nevermind a thorough examination. That alone is enough to be sure it's not "new" and you are selling it under false pretense. Even the minor wear I have circled from your photos below instantly makes your item "not as described" just from the photo alone. 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.acfb564c5b064481453c1da45edc163c.jpg

Open box: An item in excellent, new condition with no wear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleco-Gemini-Atari-2600-Clone-Game-System-Complete-CIB-Never-Used/124557034082?hash=item1d002d8262:g:mX8AAOSwtc1gGhxU

My personal opinion is this is a gently used, well cared for system. Occam's Razor would agree as would anyone looking at this objectively without bias. I know you want to get as much as possible for this console but don't set yourself up for a headache and a bad reputation over a silly 2600 console. It's not worth it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluejay said:

By the way, how can something be Complete In Box when there is no box?

Decent point, I just copied an existing ad and didn't catch that. I'll remove CIB but leave it as complete components. The open box descriptor from ebay says it doesn't have to have original packaging so I'll leave it in that category.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shawn said:

You mean the absolutely no bids with 7 people watching just to see what happens?  Don't be surprised if someone who was willing to give your $125 opening bid puts in a (100 percent valid) "not as described" claim against you cause this is not an unused new item. You can see surface marks on the console already just from the pictures you provided, nevermind a thorough examination. That alone is enough to be sure it's not "new" and you are selling it under false pretense. Even the minor wear I have circled from your photos below instantly makes your item "not as described" just from the photo alone. 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.acfb564c5b064481453c1da45edc163c.jpg

Open box: An item in excellent, new condition with no wear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleco-Gemini-Atari-2600-Clone-Game-System-Complete-CIB-Never-Used/124557034082?hash=item1d002d8262:g:mX8AAOSwtc1gGhxU

My personal opinion is this is a gently used, well cared for system. Occam's Razor would agree as would anyone looking at this objectively without bias. I know you want to get as much as possible for this console but don't set yourself up for a headache and a bad reputation over a silly 2600 console. It's not worth it.

I changed the description but I think it still fits best in that open box category. I'll chat with the buyer before I ship it so there is no confusion. The mark on the back of that controller looks like something from the factory(a blemish). I'll wipe it down to remove the smudge. It's a nice system, thanks for the tips. I have more to sell once this one goes. It's a learning curve. I've been buying way too many systems during Covid. 

You changed the description sure, but you didn't mention the scratches on the console. You are setting yourself up for a problem and purposely so just to try and get more money for this console than it's actually worth in the market. I see this is your first time selling on that account on ebay. I don't know if it's your first time selling on ebay ever but if it is you are gonna find out quickly that kind of behavior is not tolerated. Even worse you could be exploited right back. This is the kinda listing that some folks will abuse and use that misleading ad against you for their gain. 

End of the day you are looking at $50 to $75 for what you have there if described honestly with a buyer who is looking for exactly what you are offering. $125 as an opening bid is gonna turn many off from even thinking about it. You are asking more than top dollar as an opening bid with a less than accurate description with no previous selling history. Be honest with yourself and what you have for sale and things will work out much better for you and anyone you could possibly deal with in the future.

• Like 1

Sold quite a few things on my work account but never electronics and never my own items : Cars, hitch pins and machines. We will see how it goes. I wish I had not used my work account to buy things as I might have a better reputation on my personal account.  Someone is offering  to buy it and have it shipped to Delaware and eventually Brazil. I assume I should stay away from that scenario. I really would be powerless if they said it didn't work. I have more systems to put out but they will definitely fall in the used categories.

@DidSomeoneSayAtari?

You seem to be taking most of what is said as constructive criticism so that's good. I just wanted to give you an example of something that is not as described. Check this listing out and think about how it compares to yours (which I have not seen). I buy a ton of stuff on the bay still, most of which is parts or repair, or parts to repair. But I bet there are buyers out there with malicious intent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-SP-Cobalt-Blue-Handheld-System/383938070372?epid=112318007&hash=item59647e0764:g:KpQAAOSwrnhgHTfD

Years ago I sold a T-Mobile dash for a bit over $100 USD. When the buyer got it, they used it for a couple weeks, then said it was broke when they got it. Since the device was given to me on an RMA and I had no way to trace the IMEI, I was boned when they sent me back a completely different and obviously not the same device. I will never make that mistake again and I really hope something like that does not happen to you. It hurts, big time. I was in desperate need of funds at the time and PayPal had me in the red. It cut me off from a ton of stuff and I was screwed.

Just be honest and describe your sales how they are. Also don't be a shitwad that looks for mistakes to exploit them. There's a difference between an honest mistake and a vulture.

• Like 1

I do want to represent it for what it is so I added more to the description today and took it in to work to shoot pics in my pic box. People have asked more questions about this piece than they did when I sold my Delorean. I think it’s a great collector piece for a minimal investment. Others obviously disagree but I’ll do what I can to cover my bases. There  are some good people on here with good advice. I put down my Atari in 83 and just got back into it during Covid. I’m having a blast.

• Like 1