IGNORED

Fantastic Night Dreams: Cotton Reboot

SlidellMan

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my copy arrived today. Arrange made is basically the same as the X68000 version but it seems to be way easier... on normal. I haven't tried hard mode yet. The actual X68000 mode is the same as the X68000 version but it looks like it runs in widescreen. Not sure what resolution the X68000 version runs at, but when I played it on an actual X68000 a few months ago, it was definitely in 4:3. X68000 mode has some pretty bad pixel shimmering, unfortunately. Some interpolation on the h axis should fix it, so I hope they add it.

Well, I lied. Arrange mode is considerably different from the X68000 game, as it has a few new mechanics that I wasn't aware of until I actually read the instructions.

Still not sure about the X68000 mode, though, particularly the aspect ratio, but some research suggests that it's a ROM hack of the original X68000 version with maybe some extra difficulty levels added. I suppose it could actually be an upscaled ROM hack of the original game, as the options menu still has some options for a CRT mode greyed out, and it lists a resolution next to it: 384*256HI, although I'm not sure what the HI is. Still, if the X68000 version runs at a 384 resolution, that would explain the aspect ratio, but the shimmering still shouldn't be there. Whatever. I'm thinking about it too much.

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Wait you got your Switch version of the game?  I wonder when mine will appear as I've had zero communication outside of the receipt/thanks for buying it email.

Yep, I got it about 26 hours ago. Release date was yesterday and BEEP is really good about getting you your stuff extremely fast.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

32 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yep, I got it about 26 hours ago. Release date was yesterday and BEEP is really good about getting you your stuff extremely fast.

BEEP?  I ordered it from that british outfit Strictly Limited Games and it's not even listing as shipped.  I figured it would come mid this year, so whenever...I'll live.  Cotton is fun, it's brutal if you're out of practice, which I am.  I've had it on SFC, TG CD and NGPC too over the years.

18 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

BEEP?  I ordered it from that british outfit Strictly Limited Games and it's not even listing as shipped.  I figured it would come mid this year, so whenever...I'll live.  Cotton is fun, it's brutal if you're out of practice, which I am.  I've had it on SFC, TG CD and NGPC too over the years.

Yeah, BEEP is a store that specializes in old arcade games and old computers, but they also develop and publish games and they were the co-developer for this game. They're not far from my house, actually. Fun little store with some cool stuff like a bunch of X68000s, 2 PC Engine LTs, Darius Alpha, a Hyper Neo Geo 64, and a prototype for the Linguaphone Education Gear, but that prototype is not for sale.

Anyway, yeah, game's got unlimited continues, so you can brute-force your way through it if you want and it only took me about 30 minutes, but it's pretty easy to die. On hard mode, there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH CRAP ON SCREEN and it's extremely easy to get lost in the mess. Sometimes it's even hard to see where you're going. Fun game, though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm almost positive they're German, but same difference to you I guess.

Not at all, maybe I'm forgetting the symbol for the price when I did it, it was last year.  Not sure why you'd make such a stupid comment.  I know the difference between the countries and their people.

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Not at all, maybe I'm forgetting the symbol for the price when I did it, it was last year.  Not sure why you'd make such a stupid comment.  I know the difference between the countries and their people.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, just that it may not change a lot for you if the package comes from Germany instead of UK. ?

• Like 1

The thing is, and sorry to go a off topic, but most video game web sites tend to use "Europe" and "UK" as synonyms (which is even more debatable now). -_- "Game X is released on date 1 in the US and on date 2 in the UK" for instance. Even at a site like Nintendo Life based in the UK, they almost always give prices in dollars and pounds only; I admit prices in euros are most of the time identical to the ones in dollars but still... It feels both lazy and dismissive imho (since I'm pretty sure the press releases feature the prices in Euros as well).

I guess that because they write in English, they assume they're only read by European readers from the UK, which is obviously not true. Most countries have their own video game web sites of course, but when you want the freshest news, it's difficult not to read more International press, usually in English.

• Like 2

You're right it is lazy.  I was figuring that comment earlier was a typical foreigner snarking on the stupid american who doesn't know the difference between this place and that because they're some dumb deep south rube or self absorbed type from one of the cities you tend to see get thrown around.  I may be permanently it seems these days stuck, but I used to have the ability to travel and bit and studied a couple languages while schooling too so I don't ever throw around the stereotypical arrogant american knows everything attitude others get fed up with.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cotton Boomerang is finally getting rereleased! Unless you feel like paying $400~$500 for the Saturn version or probably more for the arcade PCB, this is definitely the way to do it.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/cotton-guardian-force-saturn-tribute-announced-for-ps4-switch

Cotton 2 and Guardian Force are here as well, but I already have Cotton 2 on the Saturn and have been considering getting Boomerang for a while, so I'm relatively excited about Boomerang!

Alright, so I looked through the livestream a little bit and I learned a few things. First, they apparently got Cotton 2's character designer to come back and do the box art.

Second thing I noticed is that these seem to be emulated versions of the Saturn versions instead of ports, as they have the typical rewind and save states things that these emulations usually have. They didn't go into the options, so I didn't get to see any of the options available. They didn't have it set to an integer scale on the vertical axis, so there is some pixel distortion from uneven sizing, unfortunately. Hopefully there is an option to fix this.

I just bought Andro Dunos on the Neo Geo AES today and have 2 copies of R-Type Final 2 coming within a few days from now and now preorders for this will open in 2 days... lots of cash spent on shooting games recently.

Oops, I forgot to mention that they are adding Appli and Needle from Cotton 2 to Reboot!, as well, and Appli's voice actress is returning from that game. I have not played as her in Cotton 2 yet, so I don't know how different she is from Cotton in that game, so maybe I should find out.

• Thanks 1

Oooh never did get to play that in the day, and yeah the price is and has been disgusting for years.  I'd grab that for Switch no doubts with those two Cotton games.

Still wondering if I"m waiting on that Cotton release on Switch you've been playing or if that company Strictly Limited just stole my money at this rate as it has been like six months without a word.

Cotton Guardian Force Saturn Tribute preorders are open now. Regular and limited editions are available. If you want the teacup (and you DO want the teacup), it seems to be exclusive to BEEP, so I preordered the Switch LE version over at BEEP.

The game's official website only has one store's preorder bonus listed (and it's not BEEP's), so I'm not sure where all it's available or what the other stores' preorder bonuses are.

Here it is, although there isn't much here. https://city-connection.co.jp/cotton/

• 2 weeks later...

Appli and Needle got patched into the game today. Did not try Needle, but I did try Appli. Her shot goes slightly behind her before it goes forward, so hitting things that are behind you is a little safer with her than it is with Cotton, and I think Appli's shot might be wider in general. It IS very nice that they got Appli's original voice actress back, though, as Appli was a one-time character (unless you count Boomerang) from a game released over 20 years ago, so I'm glad they got her back again. Appli doesn't have any story scenes in this game, probably because she wasn't in the original game.

On 4/27/2021 at 7:33 PM, jgkspsx said:

Does BEEP ship internationally? I am not sure how much I want the tea cup... unless it will help pay for the price of the game...

I don't think so. They ship to Tenso addresses, if you have one of those.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Took this on holiday with me last week. Almost grabbed the 1CC, but I'm sick to death of being sniped by bullets that were hidden by that stupidly large multiplier text. If you unleash it on a large crowd of enemies, the screen is literally unreadable for all the brightly coloured text, and it actually obscures bullets on occasion. Shame, as otherwise it's a solid shooter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...