IGNORED

LOOKING FOR: Original (large) Genesis controller but with 6 buttons? 3rd party ok!

Pac-Lander

Hello all!

So, I recently purchased the Genesis mini and love it, BUT the biggest drawback is the fact that fighting games like Street Fighter 2 and Eternal Champions absolutely need the 6 button controller, and the system comes packed with the OEM 3 button controller (photo attached). 

The problem is - the 6 button controller that Sega released (the "banana" shaped one) is just so damn small. Especially in my (now) adult hands, the 3 button controller feels GREAT and is actually perfect. Does anyone know if Sega (or any good 3rd party) ever released the original SIZE AND SHAPE controller BUT with 6 buttons, for use with games that have 6 button functionality?

Much appreciated!

-A

mega-drive-genesis-original-3button-controller-no1650-sega.jpg

That's funny, because the 6 button controller is still bigger than the average Nintendo controller. If you've never used it, you should give it a try. My hands aren't particularly small and I have no problem with it. It's only just a tad smaller than the 3 button one.

And no, I don't think anyone ever made a 6 button controller in the form factor of a 3 button one.

Edited by bluejay

37 minutes ago, bluejay said:

That's funny, because the 6 button controller is still bigger than the average Nintendo controller. If you've never used it, you should give it a try. My hands aren't particularly small and I have no problem with it. It's only just a tad smaller than the 3 button one.

And no, I don't think anyone ever made a 6 button controller in the form factor of a 3 button one.

Yeah, I have this one, the banana 6 button controller. Just feels kind of small as compared to the 3 button one. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.03.41 AM.png

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 3:23 PM, Asaki said:

The Mini uses USB controllers though, doesn't it? Maybe a USB Saturn pad would work?

Yeah, I just checked, the Mini is USB, and the RetroBit Saturn USB pad (at least) says it does support it.

They're not quite as big as the three-button pad, but they feel a little bit bigger than the six-button.

I don't have one of these, but I imagine you want this Mad Catz controller

Mad-Catz-6-Button-Controller-300x201.jpg

I had the 3 button version of this Mad Catz controller as a kid and this version doesn't seem to be very different from the 3 button variant, which is more or less the size of the Sega 3 button controller from what I remember. I might be wrong, though, especially since it's been like 20 years since I used/saw that controller, but if I'm not wrong, this is probably your best option.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

• 3 months later...