Rybags

Both 1050 drives gone bad

As someone said, its so unlikely 2 separate drives would suffer the exact same fault at the exact same time, I'd be searching commonalities in the situation, is there anything both drives share, are they on the same mains supply spur, have they been linked in any way..Stuff like that..

Sorry its not real help but its such a weird situation...

Power supply really is the only common thing aside from storage location (and at that they were apart).

I might give the DC power supply idea a try tomorrow.

13 hours ago, Rybags said:

Update - I bought a multimeter that has frequency/duty cycle measurement.  Pulled one drive apart and tested for 125 KHz and got 124.9 reported (the actual test point is TP 9 for that).

Adjusting all 3 trimmers made no difference.

Wasn't able to get a reading on the other 2 points.

But now the big revelation - neither drive seems to write anything to the disk.  Both will commence and fail a format command doing the full 40 in/out steps but I've just determined that the disk itself isn't written to.  I was using a C64 formatted floppy to test and just got out that machine and 1541 and it's still a Commodore floppy.

I have 2 hypotheses:

1. The 12v voltage regulator could be malfunctioning.

2. The power supply is not enough to make the disk drive work. You need at least 30VA. The 400 power supply will not work.

IIRC, the floppy head needed 12V.

Edited by Wilheim

23 hours ago, Rybags said:

But now the big revelation - neither drive seems to write anything to the disk.  Both will commence and fail a format command doing the full 40 in/out steps but I've just determined that the disk itself isn't written to.  I was using a C64 formatted floppy to test and just got out that machine and 1541 and it's still a Commodore floppy.

If erase function is not working there was an earlier thread with where a similar issue was resolved by replacing U21 (3086; TBA331 in my drive at hand). U17, U21 and CR10 are also mentioned in the post:

• Like 1

Changed the 3 power conversion section caps on my Tandon type drive.  Initially no action which was fixed with a quick reflow of one joint.

But now just back to the same responses - normal powerup, makes the right noises when commencing a read or format operation but both fail.

My next thought is maybe replace the electrolytic caps in the logic section ?