IGNORED

Does the series X make the X1 obsolete?

Cobra Kai

I might be interested in getting a new Xbox, but I've held off because I don't want yet another console in the house. However, if I could replace an existing console, that's different. 

So, is the X really just an upgrade X1, and I could ditch my current X1? (I haven't been keeping up)

You may want to wait until there's enough titles you like that are updated for Series X to make it a worthwhile purchase.

That said, you can copy all your X1 games on a external drive and play them on the Series X with some minor improvements.

• Like 1

Well yeah, that's what I'm asking I guess. I don't really care about new games at the moment, but if the series X is fully compatible with my existing X1 collection than I might get an X after all. I already have a 2TB external drive with most of my games on it, so it should be easy enough to re-install on the X. Unless I'm mistaken.

Series X is compatible with all XB1 games except for those that use kinect. You could take the 2tb external drive and plug it into the series X and everything would work fine. If you copy some games to the Series X internal SSD, you will notice greatly reduced load times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 10:34 PM, Bilnick said:

Series X is compatible with all XB1 games except for those that use kinect. You could take the 2tb external drive and plug it into the series X and everything would work fine. If you copy some games to the Series X internal SSD, you will notice greatly reduced load times. 

Just wanted to say thanks out loud, this is what I was looking for.

Looks like I'll be waiting to upgrade though, because you can only get new ones for around $900 scratch, currently. Screw that! Also, that thing is shaped like a tower, I'm not sure exactly if it will fit where it's planned to go. Hmm...

The only thing you will be missing is the HDMI-in port (to run your cable box into your console) and the Kinect port (not even the USB adapter works on the SX). If you don't use those, then you're not missing anything. The performance bump and faster load times you'll get in many of your games out of the box will make the upgrade worth it.

Edited by Austin
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, you basically don't need any Xbox One console if you own Series X. I just keep mine around for posterity since I'm a hoarder. The One has been in the box on the shelf since I got the One X. And the One X is still out, but I've only used it for some simpler games that don't need any of the extra power.

The biggest reason why the One consoles aren't worth picking up now is the load times. Load times are like night and day between the two generations, making it very hard to go back now.

• Thanks 1

It'll work out, because I pledged to spend my gaming budget in the AA Store for the entire year of 2021. So, I'll just plan on buying a Series X next year, which judging by availability, is probably for the best anyway.

There are so many games in the AA store that I have to have. I need to keep that pledge.

19 hours ago, Austin said:

The only thing you will be missing is the HDMI-in port (to run your cable box into your console) and the Kinect port (not even the USB adapter works on the SX). If you don't use those, then you're not missing anything. The performance bump and faster load times you'll get in many of your games out of the box will make the upgrade worth it.

No one will miss that HDMI-in port...

I had my cable box hooked through my X1 and there was way too much pixelization from the constant upscaling of the 1080i video.  So I ended up hooking my cable box straight to the TV using component video.  I do miss using OneGuide but that's it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 6:33 PM, MrMaddog said:

I do miss using OneGuide but that's it.

OneGuide had potential before Microsoft completely abandoned it.  At one time, they were planning to add DVR capabilities and it could have become a full-featured option for watching/recording OTA and streaming between devices.  I finally gave up on it ever being a functional-enough option and moved onto other things. 

On 3/5/2021 at 1:45 PM, Sargon said:

OneGuide had potential before Microsoft completely abandoned it.  At one time, they were planning to add DVR capabilities and it could have become a full-featured option for watching/recording OTA and streaming between devices.  I finally gave up on it ever being a functional-enough option and moved onto other things. 

What ticks me off is that MS promised a lot of cool stuff that would have made the Xbox One a good HTPC, but they dropped all the non-gaming stuff including Cortana.  So now I use an Alexa Fire cube for all my streaming and to control my Xbox with voice commands...but that's ok if MS wants me to give Amazon money that they didn't want anyway.

Kodi, Plex, VLC media player can all be downloaded from the Xbox Store for free.  I have not used Plex myself, but Kodi and VLC Media Player work well. I can stream anything I want from my NAS with those apps. All the streaming services are available in the Xbox Store as well. Nexflix, Disney, HBO Max, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 10:28 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

I'm wondering the opposite.

Does my Xbox One X make upgrading pointless?

Power wise it falls right between the S and the X. 

I ended up having to get a Series X because my Xbox One died. (Just the original Xbox One, not an X) Before that happened, I had no intention of getting a Series X this year. I have noticed some of the games that I play regularly have nice graphical upgrades, better framerates. Loading times are much faster and the instant game resume feature for multiple games is nice. I'd say it's a noticeable step forward in quality of life features, so in that sense it's cool, but I still wouldn't have minded waiting. But I am pretty much out of the hype zone and don't mind waiting quite a while to purchase most items. It's mostly because I have a long-running online gaming night with old friends that I was compelled to go ahead and buy a new 'box. And the older models are still so expensive it made more sense to spend a bit more to get the best available SKU.

On 4/12/2021 at 11:48 AM, Zoyous said:

I ended up having to get a Series X because my Xbox One died. (Just the original Xbox One, not an X) Before that happened, I had no intention of getting a Series X this year. I have noticed some of the games that I play regularly have nice graphical upgrades, better framerates. Loading times are much faster and the instant game resume feature for multiple games is nice. I'd say it's a noticeable step forward in quality of life features, so in that sense it's cool, but I still wouldn't have minded waiting. But I am pretty much out of the hype zone and don't mind waiting quite a while to purchase most items. It's mostly because I have a long-running online gaming night with old friends that I was compelled to go ahead and buy a new 'box. And the older models are still so expensive it made more sense to spend a bit more to get the best available SKU.

I am still finding it to be impossible to get one. I'm not desperate to get it. But if I could order one easily, or, you know, actually walk into a store and buy one (crazy concept), I would absolutely drop the cash on a Series X, right now. But I'm not going to have an online battle with bots and scalpers to get one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zombiecraig said:

I am still finding it to be impossible to get one. I'm not desperate to get it. But if I could order one easily, or, you know, actually walk into a store and buy one (crazy concept), I would absolutely drop the cash on a Series X, right now. But I'm not going to have an online battle with bots and scalpers to get one.

The only way I found one quickly was by going with the Xbox All Access financing deal. Normally I wouldn't mess around with monthly payments, but in this case there is 0% APR and the total amount works out to just about exactly what I would end up paying for the console and Ultimate Game Pass for two years. (I think it's about $20 cheaper before you factor in taxes.)

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 2:41 PM, Zoyous said:

The only way I found one quickly was by going with the Xbox All Access financing deal. Normally I wouldn't mess around with monthly payments, but in this case there is 0% APR and the total amount works out to just about exactly what I would end up paying for the console and Ultimate Game Pass for two years. (I think it's about $20 cheaper before you factor in taxes.)

I'd hop on that option myself (as someone that thought about joining up with Game Pass anyway) but it appears all the participating retailers are sold out. :(

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2021 at 3:28 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

I'm wondering the opposite.

Does my Xbox One X make upgrading pointless?

Power wise it falls right between the S and the X. 

I have a One X and a Series X.  There are some One X components that compete with the S, but over-all the systems are not of the same gen.  My One X is great, but things like quick resume and the NVMe aren't available on the One X, and some Xbox One games even get new performance options on the Series consoles.

At 1080p, the One X is still totally viable, and an external USB SSD eases the pain a little. On a decent 4K monitor or TV, though, my One X is definitely not the same class as my Series X.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 5:49 PM, Cobra Kai said:

I might be interested in getting a new Xbox, but I've held off because I don't want yet another console in the house. However, if I could replace an existing console, that's different. 

So, is the X really just an upgrade X1, and I could ditch my current X1? (I haven't been keeping up)

As far as replacing: Yes, you can replace an Xbox One with a Series X and be satisfied.  I collect consoles and never sell anything, but I sold my OG Xbox One after a month with my Series X. It plays all Xbox One games, in most cases (radically) better than the One. 

I wouldn't say it's "just an upgrade", though. The backwards compatibility is so good that it can leave that impression, but in the end it's a new platform offers specs the old console can't compete with.

This has been covered a bunch already, but I feel like the Series X is a definite (great) replacement for the X1.  We have been nothing but pleased with the upgrade in internals/performance/etc with our X1.  

Our One S is still chugging along in the bedroom, but there's a definite difference between it and the Series X.  Borderlands 3, Forza Horizon 4, and Mass Effect: Remastered are really good examples of the 'enhanced' titles available in regards (in my opinion) to graphic quality and load time.  As a comparison, Borderlands 3 takes approximately three minutes, twenty-nine seconds to load on the One S versus twenty seconds on the Series X.

My only real beef (and it's a minor piddly one) is that the 1TB storage expansion is stupid expensive and that USB 3.0 can be used but only for storage (not playing)- I do understand the *why* of it so I just have to get used to the New Normal. :)

As far as I can tell, 99% of the titles I previously owned are backwards compatible and everything I tried seemed to run really well.

All of it is my opinion and purely subjective, of course, but I feel like you'd be really happy with the Series X.

Edited by digdugnate

I've run into some problems with the Quick Resume feature. Basically it seems to mess something up with the multiplayer titles I've tried. Although I can quickly get back into the game where I left off, I'm often not able to join up with my friends and they can't join me - I get various network errors until I reboot the console. For single player games it works fine, though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I've run into some problems with the Quick Resume feature. Basically it seems to mess something up with the multiplayer titles I've tried. Although I can quickly get back into the game where I left off, I'm often not able to join up with my friends and they can't join me - I get various network errors until I reboot the console. For single player games it works fine, though.

It's interesting you mention this because I've noticed that happen as well with multiplayer.  With singleplayer, Mass Effect freaked out on me and I had to reboot our console, lol.

4 hours ago, digdugnate said:

It's interesting you mention this because I've noticed that happen as well with multiplayer.  With singleplayer, Mass Effect freaked out on me and I had to reboot our console, lol.

I guess it makes sense if a multiplayer game is spinning up a temporary server for each party, it can't be expected to hold that server indefinitely until you return. As for Mass Effect, that is weird!