Cobra Kai

Does the series X make the X1 obsolete?

I might be interested in getting a new Xbox, but I've held off because I don't want yet another console in the house. However, if I could replace an existing console, that's different. 

So, is the X really just an upgrade X1, and I could ditch my current X1? (I haven't been keeping up)

You may want to wait until there's enough titles you like that are updated for Series X to make it a worthwhile purchase.

That said, you can copy all your X1 games on a external drive and play them on the Series X with some minor improvements.

• Like 1

Well yeah, that's what I'm asking I guess. I don't really care about new games at the moment, but if the series X is fully compatible with my existing X1 collection than I might get an X after all. I already have a 2TB external drive with most of my games on it, so it should be easy enough to re-install on the X. Unless I'm mistaken.

Series X is compatible with all XB1 games except for those that use kinect. You could take the 2tb external drive and plug it into the series X and everything would work fine. If you copy some games to the Series X internal SSD, you will notice greatly reduced load times. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 10:34 PM, Bilnick said:

Series X is compatible with all XB1 games except for those that use kinect. You could take the 2tb external drive and plug it into the series X and everything would work fine. If you copy some games to the Series X internal SSD, you will notice greatly reduced load times. 

Just wanted to say thanks out loud, this is what I was looking for.

Looks like I'll be waiting to upgrade though, because you can only get new ones for around $900 scratch, currently. Screw that! Also, that thing is shaped like a tower, I'm not sure exactly if it will fit where it's planned to go. Hmm...

The only thing you will be missing is the HDMI-in port (to run your cable box into your console) and the Kinect port (not even the USB adapter works on the SX). If you don't use those, then you're not missing anything. The performance bump and faster load times you'll get in many of your games out of the box will make the upgrade worth it.

Edited by Austin
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, you basically don't need any Xbox One console if you own Series X. I just keep mine around for posterity since I'm a hoarder. The One has been in the box on the shelf since I got the One X. And the One X is still out, but I've only used it for some simpler games that don't need any of the extra power.

The biggest reason why the One consoles aren't worth picking up now is the load times. Load times are like night and day between the two generations, making it very hard to go back now.

• Thanks 1

It'll work out, because I pledged to spend my gaming budget in the AA Store for the entire year of 2021. So, I'll just plan on buying a Series X next year, which judging by availability, is probably for the best anyway.

There are so many games in the AA store that I have to have. I need to keep that pledge.

19 hours ago, Austin said:

The only thing you will be missing is the HDMI-in port (to run your cable box into your console) and the Kinect port (not even the USB adapter works on the SX). If you don't use those, then you're not missing anything. The performance bump and faster load times you'll get in many of your games out of the box will make the upgrade worth it.

No one will miss that HDMI-in port...

I had my cable box hooked through my X1 and there was way too much pixelization from the constant upscaling of the 1080i video.  So I ended up hooking my cable box straight to the TV using component video.  I do miss using OneGuide but that's it.

On 2/9/2021 at 6:33 PM, MrMaddog said:

I do miss using OneGuide but that's it.

OneGuide had potential before Microsoft completely abandoned it.  At one time, they were planning to add DVR capabilities and it could have become a full-featured option for watching/recording OTA and streaming between devices.  I finally gave up on it ever being a functional-enough option and moved onto other things.