IGNORED

C128 key plungers

KG7PFS

I don't know how it happened, but when my C128 was in storage, all four F-keys were damaged. The key tops and springs are fine, but the plungers are cracked, causing the key to stay down when pressed. This makes it difficult to use the computer. I ordered replacement key plungers on eBay, and found out the hard way that different keys have different plungers.

Does anyone know where I can get original or reproduction (3D printed?) key plungers for the F-keys?

• 2 weeks later...

You might try asking on Lemon64. There are a couple of people there who have 3D printers, that may not venture over here. Worth a shot, anyway.

Wish I could help more......

These would get you half way there;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMMODORE-128-C-Replacement-Key-F-With-Spring-Plunger-Keyboard/164637581712?hash=item26552a2190:g:mkQAAOSwlgNa~cFX

Edited by motrucker
added info

2 hours ago, motrucker said:

By "F-key" I meant F1/F2, F3/F4, etc. The plunger in this auction is exactly not what I need - but have several of. Anyway, I'll check Lemon64. Thanks.

On 2/13/2021 at 11:37 PM, KG7PFS said:

By "F-key" I meant F1/F2, F3/F4, etc. The plunger in this auction is exactly not what I need - but have several of. Anyway, I'll check Lemon64. Thanks.

I really need to get new glasses. Sorry for the bum steer.

The C-128D keyboards are currently selling for around $300.00 plus shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Commodore-Model-128D-Personal-Computer-Keyboard-with-Cable-Untested/254860915159?hash=item3b56e4f1d7:g:wZ8AAOSwQ-NgIaEG

Edited by motrucker
added info
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, dankcomputing said:

Many Amiga keyboards use the same plungers as the C128, so if you can find plungers out of one of them there's a decent chance it could work.

They work for the normal keys, but the function keys on the C128 are of different length. I fixed my F7/F8 last year and it stick a bit higher than the rest but I can live with it as long as it work.

• 2 years later...
On 2/3/2021 at 4:19 PM, KG7PFS said:

I don't know how it happened, but when my C128 was in storage, all four F-keys were damaged. The key tops and springs are fine, but the plungers are cracked, causing the key to stay down when pressed. This makes it difficult to use the computer. I ordered replacement key plungers on eBay, and found out the hard way that different keys have different plungers.

Does anyone know where I can get original or reproduction (3D printed?) key plungers for the F-keys?

I'm going through the same thing right now. One Amiga vendor is telling me that A500 plungers will work, but he doesn't get it. The top row plungers are blue and have a square hole flush to the top. I ordered a couple of plungers from elsewhere, hopefully it will work...Those Mitsumi plungers appear to crack way too easy.

On 2/17/2021 at 6:07 PM, carlsson said:

Two years ago I got around $70 for a tested C128D keyboard, which I felt like good money. This is insane! One year ago when the pandemic begun, I thought the world economy would crash hard, but apparently it has only affected some people.

I'll tell what's funny, you can buy a C128D adapter that allows it to use PS2 keyboards, but, I'd never do that because it would feel fake. Not the true Commodore experience.

4 hours ago, Boschloo said:

I'll tell what's funny, you can buy a C128D adapter that allows it to use PS2 keyboards, but, I'd never do that because it would feel fake. Not the true Commodore experience.

I would use a C128D to Amiga keyboard adapter.  I have a few 2000, 3000, and a spare 4000 keyboard around my place :)