IGNORED

CoCo3 4MHz mod again...

jltursan

From time to time, someone resurrects this mod (see Was the coco3 competing against the amiga and atari st?); but I've never found a complete and successful re-implementation; except the Sockmaster's page there are no more evidences about this and being a really cool upgrade to the CoCo3 makes me wonder, why it's so elusive?, does it really works?, has anyone already tried to build it from the logic diagram posted in the page?.

Ed sniders Gime x is a coco3 upgrade that will give you 256 vga colors up to 640 wide resolution.. turbo speed modr.. 2.6x instead of 1.78mhz..  And i find programming with the 6309 cpu gives a big speed increase in programming power. You don't need a faster car if you know a good shortcut :)

But having a faster car.. thats good too !

Edited by MrDave

Yep, I know Ed's fantastic designs, I have a CoCoVGA and it's great!, pretty close to the GIME-X thing but a bit less powerful...

It's just I found weird that such useful mod faded away without a trace as that means to me that a) it doesn't works or b) provided info is not enough to recreate the design. Just trying to shed some light to this mistery.

My CoCo3 has already a 6309 replacing the good old 6809, desoldered long ago; but hey, I'm still dreaming with a 4Mhz machine. The GIME-X looks fab but I'm not sure if it's already available or its final price; on the other hand, an accelerator mod like the Sockmaster's one costs next to nothing by today standards.

I'm working on a 4MHz design, but not using this idea. Not sure if it'll pan out though.

Sounds extremely cool!, hope you'll succeed. Between the provided info, there's a small txt with lots of suggestions, nice reading.

I would like to run 2x6309's in series.. 16bit bus available.. some shared ram between the 2 and 2gig addressable ram . It could run as a normal coco3 or have programs use both cpus together.

This remebers me the Fujitsu's FM-7, it has 2x6809 but not designed to run both as main CPUs as one is in charge of the graphics subsystem. Each one has its own RAM bank and they work together sharing a small RAM window. By means of a semaphore they can run in parallel, the main CPU sending tasks to the sub-CPU.

Edited by jltursan
Typo
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 4:12 AM, jltursan said:

From time to time, someone resurrects this mod (see Was the coco3 competing against the amiga and atari st?); but I've never found a complete and successful re-implementation; except the Sockmaster's page there are no more evidences about this and being a really cool upgrade to the CoCo3 makes me wonder, why it's so elusive?, does it really works?, has anyone already tried to build it from the logic diagram posted in the page?.

Why dont you guys just ask John Kowalski?  He is still active in the coco community.

1 hour ago, jltursan said:

Yep, it's a possibility, thanks, there's a contact email in his page so maybe he can share again some knowledge with us :)

He is on Discord also and I thi nk he is still on the coco email list.

You may want to join the CoCo mailing list and ask there. 

This is one of the oldest CoCo groups and is made up of alot of guys who were into the coco scene back in the early 80's

https://pairlist5.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/coco/