IGNORED

800xl not reading any cartridges

GabeShack

Hi All,
I’ve recently worked on an Atari 400 and 800xl and installed the new Sophia 2 chips with dvi connections. Both are outputting great video now. My 400 had some issues at first running cartridges but after a few tries and cleaning some carts off it worked. My 800xl is another story though. I can’t get a single cartridge to start. Ones that I already tested as working on the 400 do not work on the 800xl. I ran the self test and all items pass. Wondering how to test the cartridge slot itself. I did use some canned air to blow out the port as well as a little 99.8 isopropyl. Anyone have any thoughts to verify if the cartridge slot is working? Are there any continuity points I can check from the cartridge pins? Any suggestions appreciated. 

GabeShack

41FBE5AB-CB2F-473F-A468-8E99A85B60D2.jpeg

6CF1C615-EC02-44AA-91F1-40B8EE06DB88.jpeg

1 hour ago, GabeShack said:

Attached are close ups of the cart port and the bottom of board with the cart port connections

IMG_0481.jpeg

It looks to me like many of the cartridge port pads have very little solder and could be corroded.

IMO resoldering all the cart port connections is recommended.

4 minutes ago, GabeShack said:

Can I use a PIA from one of my spare Atari 400s or is it specific to the 800xl?

They're all the same. In fact, Western Design Center makes a modern equivalent today that is apparently pin-compatible with the vintage 6510 chip Atari used. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GabeShack said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll resolder them and try again. However it seems like all the points are showing continuity based on the schematic above but still worth a shot. 

Are you checking continuity from the pad, the pin, or the junction of both?

A poor contact on the +5V and ground pins may also be unable to deliver enough power to the cartridge.

There are also signals that the computer uses to recognize whether an 8k/16k cartridge is present.

clean that cart port again, I blew up the image and there is stuff in the base of it, it can hold a cartridge up too high or even be shorting signals/interfering with contact. Do not weaken the port by spreading the swipes, jamming swabs in there often weakens the ports, only use card edge cleaner or diy equivalents that are the width of a standard carts pcb.

hold the pcb upside down and blow it out if you have too...