IGNORED

issues compiling on visual bb

AvocadoLatte

hiya! my name is gavin. 

first off, when i tried running the install_win it came with a invalid syntax error issue. "Default option is not allowed more than 2 time(s)" aswell, it says that "This batch file requires SETX," and i was unable to find a solution, so i instead set the bB compiler directory manually. I was watching tinkernuts video. I have everything updated correctly though, because his links were outdated. so i saved, and tried to compile when i get the error "Could not locate sed.exe or bbfilter.exe.  Please makes sure you have a copy in C:\Atari2600\bB. This will improve DASM error reporting" all ive done so far is set the background playfield. A response would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if i sound unintelligent, i am 15 years old. I have experience making 2 games in the past with C# and 1 with C++ tho, so i have a fair grasp on coding and i am determined to this project of mine, and feel as if i am up to the challenge.

Thanks in advance,

gavin

Hi mate VbB is fairly dated these days and is no longer receiving development updates. There is many known issuers with the IDE. I recommend you use the ADS extension in Visual Studio Code as Matt frequently updates the extension. It's a very comfortable environment to develop and can handle large source files without issues. If you still want to use VbB drop another comment and i will take a closer look at helping you set it out. VbB is a little finicky and can take a few steps to set up correctly.

42 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Hi mate VbB is fairly dated these days and is no longer receiving development updates. There is many known issuers with the IDE. I recommend you use the ADS extension in Visual Studio Code as Matt frequently updates the extension. It's a very comfortable environment to develop and can handle large source files without issues. If you still want to use VbB drop another comment and i will take a closer look at helping you set it out. VbB is a little finicky and can take a few steps to set up correctly.

I would prefer to use VbB, although if i must im ok with switching to Atari Dev Studio. If you do decide to help me figure it would be a huge favor. I like the layout of VbB a little better. So if it is possible to figure out it would help tons, if not ill switch to AtariDevStudio, thanks for taking the time to reply tho! :)

Edited by AvocadoLatte
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AvocadoLatte said:

hiya! my name is gavin. 

first off, when i tried running the install_win it came with a invalid syntax error issue. "Default option is not allowed more than 2 time(s)" aswell, it says that "This batch file requires SETX," and i was unable to find a solution, so i instead set the bB compiler directory manually. I was watching tinkernuts video. I have everything updated correctly though, because his links were outdated.

From what I have heard, the Tinkernut installer and instructions are way out of date. I would recommend the information on the RandomTerrain website, especially the code snippets and examples. 

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#gettingstarted

I also second the ADS extension for Visual Studio Code. The interactive development environment gives cycle counts for 6502 assembly instructions, auto-complete, single click compile and launch Stella, and a host of other nice features that makes programming easier. It also supports visual BB so you can program in that language if you want.

• Like 1

i have been checking out ADS extension for VS, and i must say that its not quite as difficult and different as i had once expected and i plan to use it in the future. the only thing that i have had difficulty with is the sprite editor, for i don't know how to make sprites, and then implement them. Otherwise, it is coming along nicely

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, EvoMikeUK said:

Seriously, move to Atari Dev Studio, it's well supported by a good community and its so much nicer to use. vBB was a godsend in the day, but that time has passed now.

I still use VbB. It has so many tools that Atari Dev Studio doesn't have. It's also hard to give up all of the code editor options in the right click menu that include Audit Variables, Audit Goto/GosubFind NextFind LabelIdentify Current BankForce Minimum Spacing, Flip Text, and Add Bookmark.

• Like 1