On 2/13/2021 at 8:09 PM, Clint Thompson said:

You can create a 2MB program that will load from JagCD using Jiffi. Outside of that and memory track module support, I believe that’s all you’re going to see now that the focus is shifting to SD. It doesn’t make sense to support a mostly dead format where a superior option exists tbh. 

Is that not CD emulation? Or does it support much higher bandwidth?

On 2/15/2021 at 2:13 AM, CyranoJ said:

First, I apologise for editing your post... I'm new to this moderator lark ;)
To answer your question.

RAPTOR API (At the heart of this) is GPU (Tom) bound.

Whatever audio engine you select is DSP (Jerry) bound.

Your application code will run on the 68000 interfacing with the DSP/GPU via library function calls to accelerate performance.

I would have thought anything modern would not use 68K at all but compile for Tom or Jerry instead? Is there really enough free bus time in Jag programs for using the 68K gto work well? I suppose APIs like these are a tradeoff between ease and efficiency of use and maximum performacne and that is the way that it has always been.

• Like 1

Just now, No One You Know said:

I would have thought anything modern would not use 68K at all but compile for Tom or Jerry instead? Is there really enough free bus time in Jag programs for using the 68K gto work well? I suppose APIs like these are a tradeoff between ease and efficiency of use and maximum performacne and that is the way that it has always been.

Don't drink the cool-ade :)

Plenty of cycles to go around for all. As for 'are there enough cycles' - check whats been made in the last decade.

1 minute ago, CyranoJ said:

Don't drink the cool-ade :)

Plenty of cycles to go around for all. As for 'are there enough cycles' - check whats been made in the last decade.

What do you mean "don't drink the cool-ade"? I thought everything that did anything didn't use 68K? Just seeing whatever has been made recently looks like doesn't tell you anything.

29 minutes ago, No One You Know said:

What do you mean "don't drink the cool-ade"? I thought everything that did anything didn't use 68K? Just seeing whatever has been made recently looks like doesn't tell you anything.

Plenty of threads about GPU vs 68000 etc in the main forum.  Not getting into it here - in the release thread but feel free to make another one.

In short, "everything that did anything" is a bit of a blanket statement, lots of things use the 68000. And many of them are great.  It's not what CPU you use, but how you use it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Plenty of threads about GPU vs 68000 etc in the main forum.  Not getting into it here - in the release thread but feel free to make another one.

Ok. This is the first time I have looked at this and I didn't get it.

In short, "everything that did anything" is a bit of a blanket statement.

Yes that is very true.

Lots of things use the 68000. And many of them are great.

I didn't know that. I thought it was only ports of ST and Amiga stuff that used it.

It's not what CPU you use, but how you use it.

That sounds like a cliche motivational speech from a film. But in this case they are both the same thing.

On 2/21/2021 at 7:06 PM, CyranoJ said:

In short, "everything that did anything" is a bit of a blanket statement, lots of things use the 68000. And many of them are great.  It's not what CPU you use, but how you use it.

So wait - you're saying that Jag Studio doesn't pump everything through main in GPU?  How the hell is it so performant?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

So wait - you're saying that Jag Studio doesn't pump everything through main in GPU?  How the hell is it so performant?

Fairy farts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Fairy farts.

Two 32-bit fairies flitting about in parallel, or a single 64-bit huffing down the road?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Two 32-bit fairies flitting about in parallel, or a single 64-bit huffing down the road?

It's more complicated than that. As anyone knows, there can be the loud, booming farts and then the silent but deadly ones. On the Jag, the silent but deadly ones are handled by the 68000, and only come in at half the clock speed and a quarter of the bus bandwidth. The GPU is responsible for the loud, booming farts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

The fairy fart particles suspended in the air are inhaled by the unicorns and mixed in their digestive system to be delivered as unicorn poo, which is used to power the JagCD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2