IGNORED

Slide (working title) new wip game for 2600

vhzc

QUICK UPDATE.

Some minor visual issue was reported and corrected :)

On 2/5/2021 at 11:53 AM, vhzc said:

RELEASE CANDIDATE3.1

QUICK UPDATE

- Eliminates "pause while moving" issue, now PAUSE only works when Slide Boy is still..

- Cosmetic changes.

- Corrects visual issue while holding PAUSE

slideboy_RC3.1.bin<-- CURRENT VERSION

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it's unlikely anything can be done to help with the score area glitches for quirky TIAs. The bB score uses very precise timing to be able to draw the playfield on either side of the score, which is also why it is slightly off-center. There's not really any wiggle room to change the timing to make it play nicer with quirky TIAs.

• Like 1

BTW @Thomas Jentzsch that second screen shot showing the large 02. That 4 digit at the end is exactly what I was seeing on my 7800 during my game plays. I didn't see the other stuff with the timer bar though. Only the score digits. But that '4' has the exact extra pixel I was talking about previously.

So that is why my 7800 has the slightly buggered looking score on the last digit? I know my TIA is one of the ones that if you don't keep a controller plugged into both ports, than 2 player auto start games like Xenophobe, will start up a second player automatically after about 20min of being turned on. I hadn't really don't anything about this since it would require replacing the TIA and those are starting to get in more limited supply. So leaving the TIA in mine since it seems to work fine otherwise, seemed to best solution to me.

I do have access to a few other TIAs I can pull and try but would rather have them on hand for actual consoles with bad TIA chips that come to me first.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I fixed the problem by moving the score one pixel to the right.

slideboy_RC3.1a.bin 32 kB · 0 downloads

That' s cool!

With that the points looks good, but now the room number lost a column.

152484070_Capturadepantallade2021-02-2516-58-07.png.6a1d1d1385b2e78edb214a71599fb956.png

But that is not so bad, because I was thinking of remove the room number from score, because with the PF numbers between levels now having it also in score is a little redundant.

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, vhzc said:

That' s cool!

With that the points looks good, but now the room number lost a column.

If you would like to use Thomas's suggested score positioning for future builds of your game, you can put this copy of the standard kernel in your project directory, and it will use it (and the shifted score) automatically instead of the default one.

std_kernel.asm

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Karl G said:

If you would like to use Thomas's suggested score positioning for future builds of your game, you can put this copy of the standard kernel in your project directory, and it will use it (and the shifted score) automatically instead of the default one.

std_kernel.asm 17.78 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you very much @Thomas Jentzsch and @Karl G

That's score shift plus a change of the empty space in the font apparently made the trick and now I don' t see the ugly line in custom TIA configuration in Stella in rom number, pause text nor points.

Still I need to test in actual hardware, though. I will check it when I get home.

• Like 2

Starting around screen 32, @Thomas Jentzsch new binary will then cut off the right hand side of the first digit '0' and stays that way for the remainder of the game. It is the exact same effect show in post #85 but on the score itself. This is in stella with no TIA options set for glitchy TIA.

I compromised and create a new font.

Since the previous is still represented in PF numbers I am ok with that. Also I like the new font, I think it works with the maze theme.

141324159_Capturadepantallade2021-02-2612-35-39.thumb.png.69c30cb043763b71c9d22b0e6751f802.png

This is a build using the new font:

slideyRC3.1c_ft.bin

I am making some renovations in my house and all my 2600s are all stored in boxes, so I have no tested on actual hardware yet, but apparently works well in Stella.

• Like 1

I agree with the goal of making it look consistent across hardware variants, but IMO the new score font is a downgrade.

Assuming you need to fit each digit into 5x8 pixels, I converted your nice 7x7 glyphs for the big numbers between levels to that size. Feel free to use these (or not).

XXX 
X   X
X X X
X X X
X X X
X X X
X   X
 XXX 

XXXX
 X  X
 XX X
  X X
  X X
  X X
  X X
  XXX

XXXX 
X  XX
XXX X
XX  X
X  XX
X XXX
X   X
XXXXX

XXXX 
X  XX
XXX X
 X  X
 XX X
XXX X
X  XX
XXXX 

XXXXX
X X X
X X X
X   X
XXX X
  X X
  X X
  XXX

XXXXX
X   X
X XXX
X  XX
XXX X
XXX X
X  XX
XXXX 

XXX 
X  X 
X XXX
X   X
X X X
X X X
X   X
 XXX 

XXXXX
X   X
XXX X
 XX X
 X XX
 X X 
 X X 
 XXX 

XXX 
X   X
X X X
XX XX
X X X
X X X
X   X
 XXX 

XXX 
X   X
X X X
X X X
X   X
 XX X
 X  X
 XXX 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Karl G said:

The new font also looks good. Congrats on another great game completed.  ? Any plans for a 7800 port of this one?

Thanks.

Not really sure about a 7800 version, to make this game with collision boxes instead of hardware registers is a lot of more work ?

RC4 seems to be a go as I didn't encounter any other graphical issues or any of the other weirdness I reported on the last screen. Played a few times over the weekend on my actual 7800 and this so far is the best score I have managed. I know I can get a tiny bit faster on some of the screens still and I did end up loosing some lives towards the end as I begin to anticipate and hesitate on some of the screens and make silly mistakes.

1716_RC4_Full.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, vitoco said:

I tried the game while the QuadTari was connected, and it could play with the Joystick  in port 3 instead of 1. Is this a bB standard issue that requires a fix?

Yeah, as it stands currently, any game made with the bB standard kernel, and not coded for the QuadTari will use ports 3 and 4 instead 1 and 2.

Played this last night through old school RF on my big screen using my original childhood 7800. It is also the first console I modded back in the early 2000s with Eckard's DevOS BIOS installed into it. (Same 7800 provided a few of the 7800 roms images on this very site actually). Anyway, the game worked just fine without any issues and it was kinda neat to fire up this old girl after having not used it in well over a decade now. I see I need to replace my panel buttons and generally give it some TLC inside, but always fun to pull my original system out and to play awesome stuff on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1