IGNORED

Weird GTIA issue, perhaps UAV-related?

pseudografx

So yesterday I got my Atari 800XE back from a friend who added some upgrades for me - namely U1MB and UAV. I connected it all up and ran the "Atari Control Picture" binary. At first everything looked fine and I left it running for some while as I started doing something else. When I returned to my Atari, the color palette part of the picture was all wrong and it did the same when I reloaded the program. So I turned the computer off and let it cool down. Then, after a couple of minutes, I turned it on, reloaded the program and everything was fine again, until a little later. The picture gradually turns wrong. I am adding a video capture of the whole change.
Did anyone encounter a problem like this? Has anyone any suggestions for what's wrong? It seems to be temperature related, but nothing does get hot in the machine.

post pictures of his work on the mother board... could be gtia antic cpu 4050 or the uav itself... might have been statically zapped...hope fully it's just one of those problems and not all.. esd is no joke. ground yourself when the machine is open. Replace GTIA.

Edited by _The Doctor__

double check uav jumper shorts, is the 4050 still around?

check for crack in the traces/places where soldering was done.

if fully socketed machine before install check the pin alignment and the sockets... sometimes the swipes can not make perfect contact if the pins of a header or chip legs push in or out depending and temperature can cause the tension and connection to change in all such instances.

if all else fails remove uav, if all is good again, swap uav.

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 2/5/2021 at 4:48 PM, pseudografx said:

So yesterday I got my Atari 800XE back from a friend who added some upgrades for me - namely U1MB and UAV. I connected it all up and ran the "Atari Control Picture" binary. At first everything looked fine and I left it running for some while as I started doing something else. When I returned to my Atari, the color palette part of the picture was all wrong and it did the same when I reloaded the program. So I turned the computer off and let it cool down. Then, after a couple of minutes, I turned it on, reloaded the program and everything was fine again, until a little later. The picture gradually turns wrong. I am adding a video capture of the whole change. Did anyone encounter a problem like this? Has anyone any suggestions for what's wrong? It seems to be temperature related, but nothing does get hot in the machine.

Unfortunately I´ve encounter this behaviour several times, also without UAV. From my experience, this is a problem based on the combination of ANTIC and CPU used. After several tests I can deny any influence by the GTIA used, but changing the ANTIC to another working one can help in 90% of all cases. Sometimes the CPU must change. Both parts works fine in other systems...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...