IGNORED

Analogue Super NT production runs?

Is there any word on when Analogue will do another production run Super NT? How can they run a company where everything is out of stock or coming soon (with preorders no longer being taken after ten minutes of being up) for years? Why can't they keep things in production like normal companies? 

• Like 5

I agree they really do mismanage the whole thing pretty badly.  I'm glad I do have one, but I really would love to have the option to get the handheld they blew out all that bullshit press about to have a very limited stock and all the fanboys and bots snapped them up like instantly.  Not a word since, nothing about more runs, apologies on those who couldn't get in, anything.  They have this front facing system where they just appear to not care.

Let's hope! I missed out on the Super NT too. I really want one though. My Mega SG kicks ass, so I'm sure the Super NT does too. Really wish they'd release a stripped down, plastic case version of the NT Mini.. Never could quite bring myself to spend the $500 on a fancy aluminum case one.

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2021 at 4:39 AM, Tanooki said:

I agree they really do mismanage the whole thing pretty badly.  I'm glad I do have one, but I really would love to have the option to get the handheld they blew out all that bullshit press about to have a very limited stock and all the fanboys and bots snapped them up like instantly.  Not a word since, nothing about more runs, apologies on those who couldn't get in, anything.  They have this front facing system where they just appear to not care.

I was told they intend to produce more Super Nt in the long run but I guess the Pocket is the priority right now and the pandemic didn't help.
And the Pocket is not available yet since it's released in May, so they won't take any new preorder until then. They just sold what they thought they would be able to produce, that's all.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 10:39 PM, Tanooki said:

This is why I went with original hardware (connected via OSSC).  Not playing into the "ahhh, sorry fanboy, we sold out in 30 seconds, you weren't fast enough".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doug1522 said:

This is why I went with original hardware (connected via OSSC).  Not playing into the "ahhh, sorry fanboy, we sold out in 30 seconds, you weren't fast enough".

I feel that, understand you completely.  My beef was over another issue with them that I think was skimming off the top or using a really really stupid shipping contract.  When the SuperNT came out they went with UPS as the only choice, and I don't know if you have ever seen the thing exactly or the size of the box, but it's small, and light.  They wanted $40 to ship the thing and I'm only like a state or two away, it wasn't like international or anything.  I couldn't stomach the charge so I looked into other means.  I bumped into someone who had one, used it seriously just once, and then shelved it as it didn't suit their needs.  I got every piece it had, even the optional SNES knockoff wireless pad+receiver for the cost of the system itself shipped.  I got it, they didn't get paid for another over their shipping charge.

I don't like their 30 seconds tactic either, so whenever that Duo pops up I'm not buying it either.  I was interested in the handheld, but they're charging to get the full use out of it (which requires the dock) $100 more than their consoles, and if you get the other system adapters (not even the sound stuff which is even more on top) it's up there with their NES system in expense which is just out of control.  It's not like the handheld and dock are made from metal like the NES system was, just plastic.

• Like 2

Did you at least click on that "Notify Me When in stock" button?

I know they sent me emails when things were in stock in the past.  That's how I got the NT Mini Noir. 

I wonder if any of it's COVID related?  I thought they'd been doing better with Super NTs and Mega SGs, but maybe I'm just mistaken.  The whole being Out of Stock thing really is annoying, but you can save up in the meantime if need be.  I have a Super NT (and a Mega SG too) and can at least tell you they are worth every penny IMHO. 

For the record I hope I have money when either the Pocket or the Duo do go on sale...(Saving up in the meantime).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At this point, I'd consider if the Super Nt is worth it to you as well, as getting a real SFC or SNES with the OSSC might be cheaper while still doing the same thing but better, as the Super Nt has a few games that apparently don't work properly. I'm not sure how much the SNES costs, but here you can go to basically any store that carries old games and find a stack of SFCs for around 2000 yen each or even less. That + OSSC is cheaper than the Super Nt and will actually run all of the games correctly, as apparently the Super Nt doesn't, which is something to consider if you do want to play any of those games.

Do you have any proof of the SuperNT having problems?  It doesn't seem like something kevtris would foul up.  I've run a fair few games, but nothing near a vast level of the library and not run into things.  I have a game or more from almost any special chip the US market had too and they don't malfunction.

A SNES in the US due to all the grubbin' going on these days you'd be a happy camper to get one for less than $50 and usually at that level it'll be beat up, or look like it took a mustard and nicotine bath, likely without all the hookups or controllers it came with in the first place either.

I'd still suggest riding out waiting on a superNT.

• Like 1

The biggest problem imo with both the Super NT and Mega SG is the problematic video output for resolutions lower than 1080p on current firmware:

[480p] - Just broken.  Impossible to get an integer scale, and results in uneven pixel shimmering even with interpolation turned on.  On the Super NT it's even worse, as 10 or so pixels are always cut off from the image on one side (i.e. for some reason it is incapable of fitting the 256×224 image within 640x480; makes no sense).

[720p] - This resolution is problematic only if you enable scanlines.  The console seems to generate two black lines for every scanline, rather than the other way around, which is clearly not working as intended as previous firmware revisions do it right (i.e. two scanlines followed by a black line).  This results in a very dark image, and basically renders the "hybrid scanline" option useless, as enabling it looks no different from normal scanlines.  This can be resolved by, bizarrely enough, moving the image up to vertical position 28 or so; the scanline filter will appear to "snap" into place and the console will begin generating one black line after every two scanlines, as intended.

Having said that, 1080p works fine in every way... but if you want scanlines you are forced to choose between large black borders on all sides (4X scale) or several rows of pixels cut off on the top and bottom (5X).

This has all been confirmed by other users on the "classic gaming" discord channel devoted to the Super NT and Mega SG, but I suspect it's not widely talked about because most people likely just set the consoles to 1080p 4.5X without scanlines.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

That's what I do on SuperNT.  I run 1080 and I think scanlines look like crap so I disabled them.  I went without for a time, gave it a good effort to try and make myself see some benefit to them, didn't, and set it back.  IT just looks dumb and it makes the image darker than necessary as a side effect of faking the old CRT lines.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Oh you're talking jailbreaks.  I've kept mine stock.  That's probably why I hadn't heard anything since I keep tabs on their site of kevtris gets to making changes.

If I were to toss this on my system, if I wanted to go back to stock, can I re-flash a legit setup to it at a later date since it would be considered reverting to older information?

Well look at this it was uploaded this Monday!: https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360000557452-Super-Nt-Firmware-Update-v5-0

Edited by Tanooki

19 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Oh you're talking jailbreaks.  I've kept mine stock.  That's probably why I hadn't heard anything since I keep tabs on their site of kevtris gets to making changes.

If I were to toss this on my system, if I wanted to go back to stock, can I re-flash a legit setup to it at a later date since it would be considered reverting to older information?

Well look at this it was uploaded this Monday!: https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360000557452-Super-Nt-Firmware-Update-v5-0

Yes, you can do that if you want. There's really no point in not using this firmware, as it's still made by kevtris/Analogue and it adds extra features not in the normal firmware, like the cart dumping thingy and I think some sort of music player.