IGNORED

SIDE3 Oddity: Quirk? Bug? Feature?

DrVenkman

I was fooling around with my SIDE3 cartridge tonight with a mostly-stock 64K 1200XL. As we all know, and as I verified with this particular machine, any version of Atari BASIC on a 48K or 64K Atari computer will give a result of 37,902 bytes free with nothing else loaded. However, when running the same Atari BASIC rom from SIDE3 results in 8K less free memory (29,710 bytes free, exactly 8,192 bytes less than it should be for a 48K or better A8 machine).

Can anyone explain why this is so? SHOULD it be so? Is this a bug or a "feature" of SIDE3? Does the same occur with every emulated cartridge ROM? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Can anyone explain why this is so? SHOULD it be so? Is this a bug or a "feature" of SIDE3? Does the same occur with every emulated cartridge ROM? 

It sounds like the SIDE3 is recognizing the emulated BASIC as 16KB instead of 8KB.

3 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Thanks to @DrVenkman for flagging it up

No worries. I am sad that it never occurred to me to test it before last night. And to be fair, the only reason I *was* fooling round with it like this was @bob1200xl’s bump of his thread about Congo Bongo on a 1200XL from 10 years ago, which got me curious if it was the game code or the physical way the ROM was implemented on the cart. Then I saw another post where a new 1200XL owner is having problems with PAC-MAN, so I tried a physical copy of the game plus one emulated by SIDE3. Then I wanted to try something in BASIC and found this little bug. 

On 6-2-2021 at 4:18 PM, flashjazzcat said:

Sometimes it takes a while to shake them all out, especially when the bug meister is not on the job.

Yeah... the Bug meister rejected the job since he appeared not to be their hardware guy.

Edited by Marius

• 5 months later...
On 2/5/2021 at 8:04 PM, DrVenkman said:

I was fooling around with my SIDE3 cartridge tonight with a mostly-stock 64K 1200XL. As we all know, and as I verified with this particular machine, any version of Atari BASIC on a 48K or 64K Atari computer will give a result of 37,902 bytes free with nothing else loaded. However, when running the same Atari BASIC rom from SIDE3 results in 8K less free memory (29,710 bytes free, exactly 8,192 bytes less than it should be for a 48K or better A8 machine).

Late to the party on this, but I just saw the same behaviour on my mostly-stock (UAV and +5V SIO mod; otherwise untouched) 1200XL.  This was with firmware 0.40 and I'll confirm that it happened with BASIC revs. A, B, and C.

• Like 2