IGNORED

AtariBlast, Necromancer not working on 5200

MrTrust

Just started using my Atarimax SD cart.  So far so good, but I have noticed a couple of odd behaviors.  AtariBlast crashes on the 2nd level, and on Necromancer, the cursor just goes to the bottom right of the screen and stays there.  Can't get it to move.

Anyone else run into these issues?  Using a 2-port; haven't had any other problems with hardware or software that I can recall.

Edited by MrTrust

There are issues caused by the bios in the two port. I recall Pitfall having an issue. Maybe it is the issue you are having.  A four port bios works great in a two port and does away with any incompatibility caused by the two port bios.

I currently only have four port systems so I can't help test. I would love to get a two port someday.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Well, it does appear that I do have one of the two-ports with a problem BIOS.  Looks like I have to swap chips?  Oy vey with the maintenance on these things!

I recently read that Console5 sells the four port bios. It's an easy swap once you get the metal shield off. 

Edited by Charlie_

I wouldn't change the BIOS just for AtariBlast! since it doesn't make any BIOS calls.

It does need CPU Services enabled on the Atarimax so that the game is able to read the level data from the atariblast.dat file. CPU Services are enabled by default but it's worth checking they haven't disabled in the Atarimax options, accessed by pressing * on the menu (see Atari 5200 Multi-Cart Documentation - Chapter 5 - Non-Volatile Menu Settings).

• Like 1

Or I could not be a dumbass and put the data file in the right folder in the first place.  Although if you don't have it, you get a really psychadelic version of the first level and about 2 seconds of the 2nd rendered the same way.  Does that count as an Easter egg?

It was the Classics version of Necro that I had the problem with.  Other version works fine.  Wonder what the issue was with the other.  I was having problems getting Frogger II and Rampage to load at all, but I tried them out this morning and they both worked fine (Rampage crashed once) out of the blue.  Weird.

Many thanks, fellas!

• 3 months later...
On 2/25/2021 at 5:44 AM, playsoft said:

Actually I did put an Easter egg in there - after you have been playing the game for a long time you might get a fake crash followed by the credits.

I just got it!! I thought that it was a real crash, before it started typing to me!!

I won't spoil it by posting it here, but if anyone wants to see it, I have a screenshot. PM me.

• Like 2