IGNORED

Atari 130XE Remake

santosp

I also think support for 1MB of RAM is a very, very nice feature please.  If not, then having headers for easier U1MB installs is requested.

Also it would be nice to support USB power.  I suppose an adapter (7 pin DIN to USB-B) could be made, too. Anyone can make such an adapter separately.. Nevertheless USB-B instead of seven pin DIN is convenient.  The old PSU's can ruin the custom chips. If you do decide to go USB power route then power filtering is requested please.

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 4

I am working on Atari 130XE case/enclosure. Soon I will post my cad renderings.

If it is possible A130++:

- stereo Pokey sockets + covox dma

- 1mb ram

- 65c816 20mhz instead of 65c02

- vbxe instead of gtia/antic

- build in sddrive (supporting 32gb firmware)

So we will have brand new next gen Atari. Like Amiga500 highly upgraded Amiga1200 AGA was.

Why? New standard for games, demos, software. You will dont need upgrade old Atari. Just replace brand new motherboard and switch on. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Matej said:

- 65c816 20mhz instead of 65c02

Stock 130XE doesn't have a "65c02", it has a 6502C. Different animal. 

12 minutes ago, Matej said:

- build in sddrive (supporting 32gb firmware)

SIO port is the standard for drives. The only thing having one internally would do is drive the cost of the MB up.

44 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

I also think support for 1MB of RAM is a very, very nice feature please.  If not, then having headers for easier U1MB installs is requested.

Also it would be nice to support USB power.  I suppose an adapter (7 pin DIN to USB-B) could be made, too. Anyone can make such an adapter separately.. Nevertheless USB-B instead of seven pin DIN is convenient.  The old PSU's can ruin the custom chips. If you do decide to go USB power route then power filtering is requested please.

All of the above, please.

None of the above really contradicts a legacy remake of Atari's board.  Headers are always a good thing, and I like the idea of users being able to install whichever third party upgrades that are compatible with original 130XE.  Personally, I would prefer a minimalist design to keep cost down and be less of a headache to create.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Stock 130XE doesn't have a "65c02", it has a 6502C. Different animal. 

There are 65C816 adapters that add the extra circuitry to support the HALT signal, which I believe is the only significant difference between the 6502B and 6502C, this circuit was used on the early 6502 CPU boards for the 400/800. This circuit would allow using a 6502B instead of the 6502C/Sally, the WDC W65C02S should also work and is still being manufactured, and allow a possible upgrade path to the WDC W65C816S. Both the 6502B and W65C02S are available much less expensively than the 6502C.

I have seen a youtube video where they unsuccessfully tested a 65C816 adapter with a 130XE, they attributed the failure to the FREDDIE chip since the developer had it working on a non-FREDDIE machine.

Edited by BillC

An upgraded motherboard that fits into the original case, it should look like an original Atari with:

• More RAM: 320, 512, 1024kb.
  • UAV embedded.
  • Audio companion embedded (UAS flavor not bad, it increases original volume).
  • Easy way to attach internally a RetroTink for HDMI output, but much better an own HDMI output.
  • Standard 5V input like notebooks / or USB like phones.
  • A jumper for a button for NTSC / PAL conversion.
  • RF modulator removed, and intelligently adding:
    • 2 SD card inputs: for SIO2SD and Ultimate cart / any other opensource cart, both embedded in the motherboard. With jumpers to select the "device" with a push button.
  • Also good idea: Dual pokey option (with a jumper is someone want to use both channels and only 1 pokey).

At least a ram, video and sound upgrades are the most important and basic. NTSC / PAL conversion also is good. Several posts above with good ideas.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, santosp said:

The progress till now, using the Atari 's funny pcb marking for the ic components placement. This isn't so professionally but I go so mainly for the accuracy with the original.?

In order to get accurate measurements, I had to find a  board from it and detach almost all the components except the passive ones. 

Fortunately, one was found from the ebay of Slovakia, and although the most main ic parts was already missed, finally fulfilled the purpose for which it was purchased.

Untitled.png

looks so cool Santos!

Ken

• Like 2

On 2/6/2021 at 11:58 PM, ZuluGula said:

This XE board has two layers pcb and has great video quality without UAV. 

Never design any board that require properiary devices to make it functional. 

I have exactly same board without IC chips will scan it. Send to Santosp. Maybe will help!

Unfortunatelly this is not open project, but as far as I know, maybe ZuluGula will have some boards.

I don't think this it's good idea to make this project free and open now, because it will be not fair to people, who bought boards untill this moment.

I'm talking about Atari ITX.

And new 130XE board above - we will see. I don't have enough time for all ideas in my mind :)

• Like 3

That's why it's best to continue as we are since closed material is closed. Make the best and possibly better replacement board that is possible avoiding such worries- ITX or Drop in form factor doesn't matter for context... this reminds me of people copying cartridges, re-re-routing, moving some traces and saying it's their ip right on down to the eprom they burned to put in it when it's not. Why people say the things they say tickles the funny bone. Whoever makes the best quality board wins in the hobby world. I think santosp will have my money because he has a track record of making correct choices and is a quality person.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I'm happy to see so many designs being offered these days.  As for those who design/create, they make their choices and I am fine with it.   I am grateful for all efforts.  I'm thinking the SpartaDOSX super cart by Dropcheck and tf_hh and santosp will pair well with this new version of 130XE if it is made.

Edited by RodLightning
add credit where it was due
  • Like 2

Could support be added for a "drop in" U1MB upgrade? Making it super easy for people like me that can't solder or remove chips/sockets without lifting a trace. Support for PokeyMAX would be sweet. I'm sure you will end up making a great board and I'm looking forward to purchasing it.

Eric

23 minutes ago, nikolaisen said:

Could support be added for a "drop in" U1MB upgrade?

An external parallel port version of U1MB is in development!

Works with 16KB 600XL(has external 64KB RAM upgrade) and also adds memory card slot for storage.

Edited by BillC