IGNORED

Atari 130XE Remake

santosp

Hello Panos

According to this schematic by Fox-1, there are two 74LS138 and two 74LS139 on the BlackBox.  I guess those are used to decode these addresses.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS my own BlackBox is covered with the FloppyBoard.  This, in combination with the black feet of the BB that are slowly but surely turning into some black gooey stuff that sticks to my fingers like I don't know what, makes me want to rely on Fox-1's schematic.

Edited by Mathy

Hello Stephen

21 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Remember though - a proper PBI device won't hog all device IDs.  Not all devices that hang onto $D600 (address doesn't matter) obey this.

That's why I wrote "all other devices that (kinda) stick to the PBI rules."  Two people have told me though that it only takes a 50 cents part to solve "the bus hogging" on the BB.  Unfortunately, they didn't tell me which part that was and where to put it.  But Bob Puff confirmed that it would work (if no software would somehow use the ID numbers Bob thought where unused).

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

Hello guys

As I said, the feet on my BlackBox are slowly but surely turning into some stuff that will stick to your fingers like glue.  I guess that means it's time to replace the feet.  Anybody know where to get these new, if possible in a "won't turn into something liquid" variation?

Sincerely

Mathy

25 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

As I said, the feet on my BlackBox are slowly but surely turning into some stuff that will stick to your fingers like glue.  I guess that means it's time to replace the feet.  Anybody know where to get these new, if possible in a "won't turn into something liquid" variation?

Sincerely

Mathy

I got replacements at Lidl when they had a special purchase box of various sized ones...

• Like 1

Something last before I order and test a small batch. Is any interest for a small hack so someone can use a Sega Genesis pad controller without any other modification?  The cross pad of 4 directions  and "B" button (as fire) would be work as is on both computer joystick inputs.

:idea:

1. AKI PS/2 connector and  its header, moved in a better position on pcb
2. Added a "BELL" signal header for use with "Stereo Pokey" mod 
3. Reference added with all signals for the ECI and Cartridge  headers
4. Reference added for use/setup 64 or 128Kb memory 2 or 4 ram chip, and GAL or EMMU 
5. Added 2.5 mm footprint for all the electrolytic capacitors, to be possible the use of capacitors with 2 or 2.5 or 3 mm pin spacing, without any pin distortion
6. Some more corrections became, to be possible the trouble free use of metal shield
7. "D6XX" signal drived to the internal ECI connector for use with "VBXE add on.

top.png

Edited by santosp
Add..add..add
  • Like 1

Hello Panos

Is the $D6xx signal permanently connected to the ECI or would we need a jumper to connect it to the ECI?  BTW the VBXE can also be connected to $D7xx for those who use PBI devices.

Did you include a pickup point for the $D280 signal for Covox?

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, santosp said:

Something last before I order and test a small batch. Is any interest for a small hack so someone can use a Sega Genesis pad controller without any other modification?  The cross pad of 4 directions  and "B" button (as fire) would be work as is on both computer joystick inputs.

:idea:

1. AKI PS/2 connector and  its header, moved in a better position on pcb
2. Added a "BELL" signal header for use with "Stereo Pokey" mod 
3. Reference added with all signals for the ECI and Cartridge  headers
4. Reference added for use/setup 64 or 128Kb memory 2 or 4 ram chip, and GAL or EMMU 
5. Added 2.5 mm footprint for all the electrolytic capacitors, to be possible the use of capacitors with 2 or 2.5 or 3 mm pin spacing, without any pin distortion
6. Some more corrections became, to be possible the trouble free use of metal shield
7. "D6XX" signal drived to the internal ECI connector for use with "VBXE add on.

top.png

Would the SEGA joystick option be switchable or something you could move back to Atari with a jumper?

Thanks,

Eric

@Mathy

Is permanetly connected to internal ECI header, no to the external connector. I will include a header for the $D280 signal. Thank you that you pointed it out.

@nikolaisen

I thought to use a jumper, except if you have some circuit  to propose to do this.

• Like 1

I thinking a few days now that having you an Atari with 128Kb memory is good, but the 512Kb I think is better. What do you say? 

Of course the useless 64Kb extra were removed. After all they did not offer anything significant..

top.jpg

Edited by santosp

64k,128k,192k,320k allowed for separate antic banking or antic following and you didn't lose basic. maybe see if HIAS/Mathy upgrade could be used so no loss of either. Compy shop type etc. For sure things are different now. At this point you might just put all the upgrades directly on the pcb, just make them all completely integrated, no need for headers jumpers or pick off points, no need to order a bunch of messy add on upgrade boards and daughter cards.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Hello Panos

The "E" in the description of the ECI port pin is not inline with the print for the rest of the description of the pins of that port.

I can't find a "$D280" or "A4" on the PCB for the Covox and Dual Pokey and I expected to see more pick up point with their signal description next to it.

I'd love out if you put my memory expansion in there, but if you do so, please use SRAM instead of DRAM and update the refresh circuit accordingly.

Sincerely

Mathy

13 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Panos

The "E" in the description of the ECI port pin is not inline with the print for the rest of the description of the pins of that port.

I can't find a "$D280" or "A4" on the PCB for the Covox and Dual Pokey and I expected to see more pick up point with their signal description next to it.

I'd love out if you put my memory expansion in there, but if you do so, please use SRAM instead of DRAM and update the refresh circuit accordingly.

Sincerely

Mathy

"D280" has not been installed yet but the A4 is there in the Cartridge header.

How hard you tried to find this misalignment of "E"? :P?

Something that isn't understood by me about the "your memory expansion". I thought that it made by Hias!? What I am missing here?

Edited by santosp

Hello Panos

2 minutes ago, santosp said:

"D280" has not been installed yet but the A4 is there in the Cartridge header.

I would have expected this and other pick up point to be closer to where they are probably going to be used.

2 minutes ago, santosp said:

Something that isn't understood by me about the "your memory expansion". I thought that it made by Hias!? What I am missing here?

I'm not sure if Hias used all my ideas or just part of them.  I wanted to develop my own upgrade, because I wanted it to: a) freeze the status of BASIC, OS ROM/RAM, Selftest and (on the XEGS) Missile Command when either PB4 or PB5 goes low or both do.  And b) I wanted it to use PB0, PB1, PB2, PB3, PB6 and PB7 to switch memory and PB4 and PB5 for separate ANTIC and CPU access.  Plus I wanted to add some electronics at a later point in time to access even more memory by using bits 2 and 3 of some address between $D304 and $D3FF.  Not because I need more, but because I (am) like that.  The exact address for everything over 1MB would be determined at the moment the extra hardware would be developed.

Sincerely

Mathy

52 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

At this point you might just put all the upgrades directly on the pcb, just make them all completely integrated, no need for headers jumpers or pick off points, no need to order a bunch of messy add on upgrade boards and daughter cards.

Unfortunately this is another train. To do this it must everything be redesigned by the ground in a 4 at least layer board with full or partially smd components.  Except that it need very much time and the permission from the authors of add-ons,  so that I can use them.  

My point here is to do a new pcb, ready as much as possible to accept the existing extensions which one has in his possession or can buy,  in a more compact way and definitely with less effort than him to install these. That is the reason who I add all those headers and points on this.

Regarding the last minute "change of course" regarding memory, it has to do clearly with that I thought about "why not add something that expands the Atari economically". I mean cheap. Of course everyone is free to choose which upgrade they want as an add-on.  

Also I could not find where are useful these 64Kb of extra memory as existed by the factory, in the Atari 130XE.

Anyway I not intend to do a big batch from these. Neither I want to start to assembly components for the others. After all, such a thing would be tedious and time consuming, and if the demand was so great, it would make sense to give them to an assembly line. Just a few pcb's only, with the hope to help anyone who really need that.... 
Okay and he also has a passion for the soldering iron!?

• Like 3

Hi Ken,

soon when I order and test that. I am a short distance from this last step, and the only thing that delays me is that I am desperately looking for a way to print the perimeter of the board with minimal offset error, to see if the mounting holes are placed accurate on pcb. The last thing who I need is a pcb with misalignment the holes.

This printer must have a offset measurable in some tenths of a millimeter. 

hi Panos,

I hear ya, I was really paranoid when I did the sdx pc board with just the 2 holes for the case posts. I use an HP laserjet 2200 which is as accurate as I have found. many laserjets have built in postscript which is very accurate provided the printer mechanics are well calibrated. I do hope you remember I would like 2 of these if you do a large enough run. Thanks.

Ken

I’d be interested in one. I’m also open to added ram capabilities and upgraded video.

And option to decide at power on to use the stock capability of the 130xe or to go all in with 1 Meg ram and new graphic  circuit/mode, stereo pokey etc... I’m presently populating a new C128 for which I acquired a brand new motherboard (bright red and gold, looks quite good). 

Will you provide a BOM? If you have one, I may place an order and validate what I have on hand in the shop so as to be ready when and if you decide to sell me one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...