IGNORED

Atari 130XE Remake

santosp

My unpopulated board arrived today. Looks Great!  Thank You Santos!!

Joystick connectors, I used "New Old Stock" from B&C.  Wow, those are a pain in the butt to get all 9 pins lined up plus the plastic pins and clip.  :) glad those are done.

I have all but pokey and basic rom desoldered on my 130xe donor board. I installed sockets on the donor board so I could put the chips back and verify the donor board still worked after each chip was socketed. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, santosp said:

From the day of shipping needed 6 days to arrive in US. All the rest of time, was spent for the transit  inside your country. ?

I think this have to do because of Covid-19 limitations.

hi Santosp,

I forgot to let you know my boards have arrived a few days ago. I got involved in admiring them cuz they look so nice. gonna start building them up soon. thank you.

Ken

• Like 1

@santosp, again thank you for the board . It arrived yesterday, everything looks fine, the package was intact. 

When it comes to addressing, I'm not expert or I don't work for USPS but I'm guessing what the issue might be (and it was suggested by the USPS representative when they called to update me on the status of the shipment).

We have different address formats in USA and most of the Europe. Here you put building number first and then street name, in Europe it's opposite, street name first and then building number. My address, which you hand wrote on the box looks exactly like it should, but in the computer generated label is very confusing. It looks like that:

"customer name"

"street name" "town name" "building number" 

"state name" "zip code"

"country"

The highlighted red line could be a n issue, it was printed all in one line, without any periods or commas. The house number was last and there was a town/city name between it and street name. I guess when the post office robots scan the barcode that it's on the label, they see it the same way as it is printed and have some problem interpreting it. Maybe a live person had to read the adres from the package and manually forward it, so it could be the reason that it was traveling all over the country for almost two weeks.

trackingcut.png

• Like 1

That could well be the case. But based solely on the zip code, it should never have went to NY :) 

The XL Keyboard PCBs I ordered in recently, went from China to Japan to Belgium (very near to the Dutch border, but instead went) to France, and then finally to The Netherlands :) Their logistic algorithms are a mystery to me. When I finally touched the PCB, including its destination, it has been in five countries :D

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2021 at 9:03 AM, santosp said:

Hello to all.

I have started to work in a remake of Atari 130XE pcb board, more specific with the 4 rams.

The main reason who I started is because I never seen  someone else before to do this for the XE range.

Many things run in my head about the final design of this pcb board. 

Must be a 1/1 remake like the original? Maybe  with smd components for the passives like resistors, capacitors and diodes? Maybe with a cpld which equates Freddie and both the Gals; 

Or is better this to be exact the same like the original pcb, so to be possible after for the new owner to add any upgrades?

Even so would be more usefull if I add on the UAV mod in the place who initially was the rf modulator?

At the end, is needed to do this remake at all?????

I would like very much to listen your thoughts and ideas about this. 

Whether positive or negative they are all welcome. 

Not much to add other than i will buy one from you if you want to sell them. 

• Like 1

I had time to inspect this board more closely now, and I can see that there are some wire fixes in the UAV module. On my board, two wires that are connected on the components side, but are loose on soldering side. I assume that I have to solder them to the board, is that correct?

20210514_121449.jpg

20210514_121541.jpg

I also have a small complain about manufacturing quality. My pcb is slightly warped diagonally, you can see it in the pictures. Are all boards in this run the same?

Recently, I got couple of 800XL boards (which are bigger than XE) from JLCPCB and those came perfectly flat. Both of them are 1.6mm thick. Personally, I wouldn't mind to pay extra for better quality pcb.

20210514_121734.jpg

20210514_121814.jpg

20210514_122201.jpg

20210514_122214.jpg

Edited by ZuluGula

1. Yes, but only after you place the two capacitors first.

2.  The bend of pcb is something not controllable by me, and believe me have nothing to do with the cheap or expensive. Is only one way to order the pcb's, and nowhere is there a reference to cheap or expensive buy.

These pcb ordered in PCBWay, which from what I know is the construction company behind at least 2 other companies in the Chinese market.  PCBgogo, Pcbcart, and maybe others. What I have notice on my constructions, is that the larger the board, the more likely it is to have some slight distortion. The same exist for any surface finish, ENIG or HASL. This distortion can be corrected somewhat if you order a larger thickness, such as e.g. 2mm.

As I mentioned before, this time I ordered the pcbs from Elecrow, and I am curious to see if there will be any difference.  

Edited by santosp

2 hours ago, jefffulton said:

Not much to add other than i will buy one from you if you want to sell them. 

Thank you.?

I not intend to did again, but these already must be available from Abbuc. I was check that today they received their pcbs.

2 hours ago, santosp said:

1. Yes, but only after you place the two capacitors first.

2.  The bend of pcb is something not controllable by me, and believe me have nothing to do with the cheap or expensive. Is only one way to order the pcb's, and nowhere is there a reference to cheap or expensive buy.

These pcb ordered in PCBWay, which from what I know is the construction company behind at least 2 other companies in the Chinese market.  PCBgogo, Pcbcart, and maybe others. What I have notice on my constructions, is that the larger the board, the more likely it is to have some slight distortion. The same exist for any surface finish, ENIG or HASL. This distortion can be corrected somewhat if you order a larger thickness, such as e.g. 2mm.

As I mentioned before, this time I ordered the pcbs from Elecrow, and I am curious to see if there will be any difference.  

Something who I must to fill, not to justify the manufacturer, but for the correctness of  thing. 

The pcb deformation that ZuluGula noticed, it is called "twist"  in the glossary of pcb manufacturers. 

According to the IPC-600-A standard, "twist" must have maximum allowable limits 1.5% for circuit board without smd parts, and 0.75% for circuit boards with smd parts. Although I think the surface mount components are negligible on this pcb,  I will judge it with harsher criteria, as if it were a board using only these components! In my opinion unfairly, but okay .... ?

So, this pcb have a diagonally dimension 377.81mm. According to this type R = 2 (D)(T)/100, we have R= 2*377.81*0.75/100=>R=5.66mm

So the maximum allowable "twist" can be up to 5.66 mm in the corner. I saw there one or five cents coins I think? Sorry I am not US citizen. So, these two both together, must have a total thickness of 3-4mm.

My point in all these is that even if I ask the pcb manufacturer for this situation, I am sure that he will respond me that this product meets the specifications.

Understand the Non-Conformance & its Calculation Methods

Edited by santosp
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...
On 5/16/2021 at 10:57 PM, santosp said:

Hi Santosp!

I Misses this bit of hardware myself.  I would love to get one or two of them myself.   Let me know if I can still get one.

Thanks Steve

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 2:50 AM, santosp said:

I thinking a few days now that having you an Atari with 128Kb memory is good, but the 512Kb I think is better. What do you say?

It's a very good idea. There is never a lot of memory ;)
Perhaps making other changes to the architecture is undesirable, but memory in this case is definitely an exception to the rule.

I see that the post was made more than a year ago, is there are some ideas to implement a board with 512Kb on board?

3 hours ago, LessNick said:

It's a very good idea. There is never a lot of memory ;)
Perhaps making other changes to the architecture is undesirable, but memory in this case is definitely an exception to the rule.

I see that the post was made more than a year ago, is there are some ideas to implement a board with 512Kb on board?

The final board has already considered 512k SRAM for a long time?.

Cheers,

andY

XE_512k_RAM.JPG

• Like 2

Btw.:

there are some new Acrylic Cases especially for these XE Remake Mainboard available....

If you are interested in, so check this thread -> Acrylic case for XE series

Or jump directly in to:  -> New Back panels for the "XE Remake Mainboard"

If there are any question about all options of the new XE cases, please feel free to drop a Email to:  info@plexilaser.de

Cheers,

andY

plexi_and_backpanel.JPG

• Like 1