Jump to content
AtariNostalgia

Best place to buy an SIO2SD ?

Recommended Posts

I've found a place to get an ultrasatan for my ST. Now I want to get an SIO2SD for my 800xl.

What's the cheapest place I can find a ready working one from?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotharek is the best in my opinion and he provided me with some excellent support too.  Shipping was surprisingly fast from Poland.  I have two SIO2SD devices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 4 SIO2SD but nowadays there are better options.

 

If you would like to load software from SD card or wifi and do other nice things, FujiNet is a very good solution.

 

If you just want to load software more quickly, including games that otherwise need a memory expansion (Atari Blast, Bomb Jack, Commando...), AVGCart with SIO cable is the best all in one loading solution.

 

See Topic for newbies for a comparison chart.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep almost considering selling off my SIO2SD but think that I'll probably just hold onto it for nostalgia's sake because it was the first modern-era peripheral that I bought for my XL.  Like @Philsan said, the SIO2SD was great in its day but there are much better options available in 2021.  The SDrive-ARM is tiny and compact and will do everything that the SIO2SD does.  The SDrive-MAX has an awesome and very convenient touchscreen display.  The FujiNet does just about everything that you could want for your A8.  I would highly reccomend considering one of these options over the SIO2SD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. It looks like the Fujinet is the best option for me since I can load games from it on top of all other features.

14 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

Does it has to be a SIO2SD? For about $20 in parts, you can put together a SDrive-MAX or user zaxon recently made a simple version of SDrive for about $17 plus shipping 

https://allegro.pl/oferta/atari-sdrive-micro-10143792880

Do you have a link that goes directly to Zaxon's Sdrive? I have bought some thing previously from sellmyretro but it looks he hasn't listed the Sdrive there. What are the disadvantages from Zaxon Sdrive compared to the Max?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contact him directly. I think it's sold-out at this moment, but he said that he is going to make more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AtariNostalgia said:

Thanks. It looks like the Fujinet is the best option for me since I can load games from it on top of all other features.

Do you have a link that goes directly to Zaxon's Sdrive? I have bought some thing previously from sellmyretro but it looks he hasn't listed the Sdrive there. What are the disadvantages from Zaxon Sdrive compared to the Max?

With both devices you can select files from Atari on-screen menu.

SDrive-Max lets you select files and swap disks from lcd display.

SDrive lets you swap disks with buttons, it doesn't have an lcd display.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Philsan said:

SDrive-Max lets you select files and swap disks from lcd display.

This is why I tend to use my SDrive-MAX more than any of my other devices.  To my mind, the ability to swap virtual "disks" via the LCD display makes the experience feel the most authentic and nostalgic; it is a lot like swapping real floppies in my 1050 back in the day.  The fact that you can get SDrive-MAX cases to look like mini 1050 or 810 drives just puts it over the top for that nostalgic feeling. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing I liked about most SIO2SD over the SDrive-Max was, are least earlier, the ability to see long filenames scroll on the SIO2SD, Where they didn't, at least I think, on the SDrive-Max. Is that still the case, or has that been changed, or was I mistaken on that altogether?

 

Also, how to you select and swap disk images with the FujiNet, seeing as it has no screen or buttons?

 

Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

The one thing I liked about most SIO2SD over the SDrive-Max was, are least earlier, the ability to see long filenames scroll on the SIO2SD, Where they didn't, at least I think, on the SDrive-Max. Is that still the case, or has that been changed, or was I mistaken on that altogether?

 

Also, how to you select and swap disk images with the FujiNet, seeing as it has no screen or buttons?

 

Thanks.

 

SDrive and SDrive Max show long filename of the selected file.

 

FujiNet has buttons; moreover when you change disks you hear SAM voice that tells you the selected disk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I definitely wanted an SIO2CD and not an SDrive-Max, but I never picked one up. The longer I waited though, the better the SDrive-Max looked to me, especially in those retro 1050 cases. Still, I never bought one of those either. Now, it definitely looks like the FujiNet is the way to go. Of course, if I hold out long enough, there will probably be something even better, though at this point, I really can't imagine what it would be.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AtariNostalgia said:

 I'm going to go with Fujinet. Does anyone know where I can buy it from the EU?

Again,  Zaxon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! I searched the the web, it lead me to a page that said the item was closed. I just know searched and found a newer post from zaxon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2021 at 3:24 AM, bfollowell said:

Yeah, I definitely wanted an SIO2CD and not an SDrive-Max, but I never picked one up. The longer I waited though, the better the SDrive-Max looked to me, especially in those retro 1050 cases. Still, I never bought one of those either. Now, it definitely looks like the FujiNet is the way to go. Of course, if I hold out long enough, there will probably be something even better, though at this point, I really can't imagine what it would be.

Empirically speaking waiting will give you more and better options and result in less money spent ;) (I think I bought one each of most of the stuff mentioned...)

 

Regardless of better options being available, I don't recommend the uncased SIO2SD, as it is not that easy to build a case for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 12:08 PM, AtariNostalgia said:

Would the Fujinet be able to replace the functions of a SIO2SD ?

YES. and add a bunch more.

-Thom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the fujinet is ultra cool, I plug it in if I want to BBS.

I don't use it as a mass storage device though.  If I plug in my side2 in sdx mode with the side2 only presenting d1, and have the fujinet also plugged in with sd slot mapped to d2, I cannot read d2.

 

That is a very specific configuration, and I'll be glad if it is just something "wrong" that I've done, but my experience with sio2sd, is it just works all the time, with every atari I have, in every situation...I like that about it.

 

Now, I did see the video on youtube about u1mb users putting together an sdx image for use with fujinet, so even that is covered...maybe someday I'll figure out if my side2 can be flashed in a similar fashion, but, if only because i do have the sio2sd, that hasn't been a priority.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mark2008 said:

the fujinet is ultra cool, I plug it in if I want to BBS.

I don't use it as a mass storage device though.  If I plug in my side2 in sdx mode with the side2 only presenting d1, and have the fujinet also plugged in with sd slot mapped to d2, I cannot read d2.

 

That is a very specific configuration, and I'll be glad if it is just something "wrong" that I've done, but my experience with sio2sd, is it just works all the time, with every atari I have, in every situation...I like that about it.

 

Now, I did see the video on youtube about u1mb users putting together an sdx image for use with fujinet, so even that is covered...maybe someday I'll figure out if my side2 can be flashed in a similar fashion, but, if only because i do have the sio2sd, that hasn't been a priority.

 

 

 

Why are you making it so difficult?! The FujiNet _HAS_ an SD card slot, it can take over ALL of the functions of an SIO2SD, full stop.

 

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...