Jump to content
82-T/A

Atari Jaguar on Atari VCS?

Recommended Posts

Is there any thought to getting a lot of these Jaguar games ported to the VCS in some sort of manner? Either through a new service from AtariAge (yup, just went there) or something that Atari offers on their own?

 

Would love to see al the Carl Forhan / AtariAge / Piko / Orion / Minter games all available on the VCS.

 

Maybe even a Jaguar controller adapter so I can use my Jaguar controller on the VCS.

 

 

Side thought... I haven't played my Jaguar in almost a year... I've been thinking about maybe selling it all. I literally have every Jaguar game plus all the home brews except GORF and BLACKLIGHT...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

Side thought... I haven't played my Jaguar in almost a year... I've been thinking about maybe selling it all. I literally have every Jaguar game plus all the home brews except GORF and BLACKLIGHT...

I sold mine a few years ago because I had not played it in over a year.  I periodically miss it, maybe consider downsizing the collection and keeping just favorite games instead of completely selling all of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

I sold mine a few years ago because I had not played it in over a year.  I periodically miss it, maybe consider downsizing the collection and keeping just favorite games instead of completely selling all of it.

 

Did you sell the entire thing all at once, or did you sell the games individually?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only had about 6 or 7 games, I sold high value games in their own auctions, but I sold all the jag stuff at around the same time. 

 

I've also downsized other console collections I had in recent years such as my PS1, sega saturn, and sega genesis collections. In an earlier period of collecting I was almost more concerned about quantity than quality, or random completionist things like "I've got almost every Battle Arena Toshinden and Virtua Fighter game, let me go get the few I don't have just to have them all in the collection as a set".  After owning the stuff for awhile and finding out which games I actually enjoyed playing and which I just had on the shelves to pad things out and make my collection look bigger and more interesting, I went and downsized stuff significantly and sold a bunch of games while keeping a "core" set of games for these consoles I knew I really enjoyed playing, or that had meant a lot to me as a kid. I haven't regretted the slimming down of my PS1, saturn or sega genesis collections.

Edited by sirlynxalot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding your original question, I doubt there's any coordinated effort to do a jaguar game download service on the vcs, but since you can install windows on it, you could certainly run the PC jaguar emulators to have a similar effect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

I only had about 6 or 7 games, I sold high value games in their own auctions, but I sold all the jag stuff at around the same time. 

 

I've also downsized other console collections I had in recent years such as my PS1, sega saturn, and sega genesis collections. In an earlier period of collecting I was almost more concerned about quantity than quality, or random completionist things like "I've got almost every Battle Arena Toshinden and Virtua Fighter game, let me go get the few I don't have just to have them all in the collection as a set".  After owning the stuff for awhile and finding out which games I actually enjoyed playing and which I just had on the shelves to pad things out and make my collection look bigger and more interesting, I went and downsized stuff significantly and sold a bunch of games while keeping a "core" set of games for these consoles I knew I really enjoyed playing, or that had meant a lot to me as a kid. I haven't regretted the slimming down of my PS1, saturn or sega genesis collections.

 

Yeah, I started doing that too. I got rid of maybe 3/4ths of all my game systems... and maybe half of that I gave away for free on here. I just didn't really want any of it anymore, and never played it. I have a Saturn, Dreamcast, Super Nintendo, two NESes, and a bunch of Atari systems... and maybe ~50 Atari 2600 and 7800 games still in the original box (shrinkwrapped). I don't know why I have any of this stuff... I haven't played ANY of it in years.

 

I played the NES with the original Final Fantasy a couple of months ago.. but that ended quick. I'm thinking I just need to get rid of all of it and move on. I have my VCS, and I'm enjoying it, and I have this ridiculously expensive gaming computer that I bought, and the last thing I even played on that was Bards Tale in DOS BOX.. lol. I got like this when my wife told me she was pregnant (12 years ago), and I got rid of half of my cars, and half of my computers / games. Over the years, I've just been wanting stuff less and less... and at 42 now... I'm like... when will I ever have time for this? The VCS is cool... and I enjoy it, I don't really need these other systems... sigh... but I do still really like the Jaguar, but again... can't remember the last time I played it. Half of the Atari ST conversion games I bought, I haven't even opened up the boxes yet to play them even once. Not that I don't like them, I just don't get around to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that's an uncommon thing for people who get into collecting or people who get into a hobby that has an aspect of preservation in it to eventually utilize the item less and less. Even people with retro cars often wind up just storing their cool old car in the garage to make sure it doesn't get rained on or damaged, and only drive it out on special occasions instead of using it every day or even month.  Eventually it begins to feel like a ball and chain or a chore to maintain the item or keep significant dedicated space for the item, rather than a cool item you're excited to own.  I guess this is why there is a saying for vintage car owners, that the best days in a vintage car owners life are the day he buys the car (exciting to get a new fun item) and the day he sells the car (exciting to offload an item that he doesn't use and get more cash, space and free time to do other things).

 

I don't think its unusual for people who are into old video games to eventually feel like they aged out of the hobby, especially when youtube is a thing and you can just watch a little gameplay video to remind yourself of what a game is like, or show someone part of an old game that you find interesting.  Thing is, after some time passes or your kids take an interest in something related to it, you think about your old stuff and the experiences with rose tinted glasses and wish maybe you still had some of it.  When I was 18 I felt like I had completely outgrown video games and I barely played any for several years.  When I was 26 I got back into the games/systems of my childhood, it was a comfort because I was going through a stressful time in my life and didn't have a lot of other outlets for some quick fun that I could do while alone. Years later, as an adult with a disposable income, it was fun to "treat" myself to basically any game stuff I remembered ever wanting as a kid.  In the later period, I came to the realization that I'd accumulated too much, hence I downsized, but from my own hot and cold periods in my life, I knew it would be a good idea to keep a smaller collection for nostalgia and the inevitable day when I get really interested in it again rather than completely get rid of all of it.  Just wish I kept my jaguar and CD unit in the reduced collection since its just so expensive to re-buy either and emulation isn't that great for this system ;)

Edited by sirlynxalot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

I don't think that's an uncommon thing for people who get into collecting or people who get into a hobby that has an aspect of preservation in it to eventually utilize the item less and less. Even people with retro cars often wind up just storing their cool old car in the garage to make sure it doesn't get rained on or damaged, and only drive it out on special occasions instead of using it every day or even month.  Eventually it begins to feel like a ball and chain or a chore to maintain the item or keep significant dedicated space for the item, rather than a cool item you're excited to own.  I guess this is why there is a saying for vintage car owners, that the best days in a vintage car owners life are the day he buys the car (exciting to get a new fun item) and the day he sells the car (exciting to offload an item that he doesn't use and get more cash, space and free time to do other things).

 

Funny you should say that.

 

I have a 2002 Crown Victoria LX that I inherited from my grandfather in 2004. I've maybe driven it... 20 miles in the past 5 years? I will sometimes go 6 months before I even start it. Usually the battery is dead, and then I have to recharge it. I also have a 1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (my first car) sitting in storage along with my 1973 Volkswagen Bus... both of them are in storage and have been in a storage unit for almost 10 years.

 

Sigh... we're going through our games right now because of this... I have my wife going through the Wii games, the only system she ever plays, and we're going to be getting rid of like 3/4ths of the games. I still don't know if I'm going to get rid of my Jaguar, but I am definitely going to get rid of all my new in box Atari 7800 and Atari 2600 games. No point in me keeping that stuff.

 

LOL... looks like there's 100 other people on eBay that also own new in box Atari 7800 games that they're selling and no one wants to buy... haha...

 

Edited by 82-T/A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

LOL... looks like there's 100 other people on eBay that also own new in box Atari 7800 games that they're selling and no one wants to buy... haha...

 

 

Is amazing how easy it is to find 7800 games still in the box after all these years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THIS... THIS is what makes me think I need to get rid of my Jaguar...  (links are not mine)

 

Jaguar system with 7 games, selling for $500+ still a full day left on the auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-Console-7-Great-Games-LOT-RCA-Connection-2-Controllers/265039030031

 

... I have EVERY game except GORF and BLACKLITE, with the Jaguar in the original box.

 

 

Used / jenky-looking CD drive, selling for $400+ with a full day left on the auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-Atari-CD-Multimedia-Player-Console-Video-Game-System/333877912518

 

... I have a complete Atari Jaguar CD drive in the box, everything original. Used maybe 3 times. Bought from GO-ATARI back in like 1998. Why do I still keep this?

 

Not poo-pooing on the Jaguar here, I love the system... but I just don't have any time to play any of these games. I could probably make like 5 grand from my whole system and games... which in the grand scheme of things, isn't a huge ton of money (it's all perspective, I know), but that $5k could be doing a whole lot more in my daughter's college 529. She's convinced she's going to MIT, and I'm going to have to pay for it...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

... I have a complete Atari Jaguar CD drive in the box, everything original. Used maybe 3 times. Bought from GO-ATARI back in like 1998. Why do I still keep this?

I don't know, but I'll trade you some GME$ shares for it if you're into keeping things that probably won't be worth much in the long run ;-)

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 1:35 PM, 82-T/A said:

Is there any thought to getting a lot of these Jaguar games ported to the VCS in some sort of manner? Either through a new service from AtariAge (yup, just went there) or something that Atari offers on their own?

 

Would love to see al the Carl Forhan / AtariAge / Piko / Orion / Minter games all available on the VCS.

 

Maybe even a Jaguar controller adapter so I can use my Jaguar controller on the VCS.

 

 

Side thought... I haven't played my Jaguar in almost a year... I've been thinking about maybe selling it all. I literally have every Jaguar game plus all the home brews except GORF and BLACKLIGHT...

 

 

I am making enhanced ports of Fast Food 64 and JagZombies 2 for the VCS. They will be available for purchase later this year in the Atari VCS store.

 

Also both Virtual Jaguar and the Phoenix project run flawlessly in windows 10 on my unit.

I did do the 32BG RAM upgrade and 1 TB SSD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

 

 

I am making enhanced ports of Fast Food 64 and JagZombies 2 for the VCS. They will be available for purchase later this year in the Atari VCS store.

 

Also both Virtual Jaguar and the Phoenix project run flawlessly in windows 10 on my unit.

I did do the 32BG RAM upgrade and 1 TB SSD

 

If you seriously consider adding some additional features and improving some aspects of the game, I will definitely buy one of them. I really liked Fast Food 64... but wasn't overly thrilled with the collisions... but I did really like the game. I also thought Jag Zombies had some promise to it... just needed a bit more dynamics to it. If I was going to pay $9.99+ for a game like Jag Zombies, I would want more sprites involved in the explosions and movement. But both games are fun, and I would seriously buy them if some of these things were fixed.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

 

 

I am making enhanced ports of Fast Food 64 and JagZombies 2 for the VCS. They will be available for purchase later this year in the Atari VCS store.

 

Are you going to fix all the glitches in Fast Food?

How come you never fixed the empty shell casings that disappear when firing again in Jag Zombies 2?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Machine said:

 

Are you going to fix all the glitches in Fast Food?

How come you never fixed the empty shell casings that disappear when firing again in Jag Zombies 2?

 

Don't egg him on, you know exactly how he's going to respond to that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so my daughter about lost her shit earlier today when I told her that I was going to sell all my Jaguar stuff... and my wife even was like... don't sell it all, you're going to regret it. I'm actually TOTALLY ok with selling the games that I have so far... so it's not a huge deal. But there are a lot of games that I do actually really enjoy. So, I promised my daughter I'd keep Custodian. It's so funny... if only the Piko people knew how crazy my daughter is about that game. I mean, it's a good game, but I don't get why she likes it that much. Anyway, these are the games I'm keeping:

 

Defender 2000

Tempest 2000

International Soccer

Custodian (of course)

Doom (I have two copies)

Ruiner Pinball (I apparently had two copies also)

Moon Patrol

Downfall+

Dragon

Fast Food 64

Protector SE

Hoverstrike

Impulse-X

I-War

Rebooteroids

Power Drive Rally

 

and a couple of others. I'll probably still sell some of those off... but the rest (still have like 100+ carts) to put up. So I'm not out of the Jaguar game yet... but it feels good to be getting rid of these games, if I'm being honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Also both Virtual Jaguar and the Phoenix project run flawlessly in windows 10 on my unit.

You do realise you can't bundle either of those with your... games... for sale, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

You do realise you can't bundle either of those with your... games... for sale, right?

What? This was 2 separate comments. The first being that I am developing ports for Fast Food 64 and JagZombies 2 FOR THE ATARI VCS. That can be launched from the VCS store. These are actually Linux games and have nothing to do with the actual Jaguar roms.

 

 

The second comment was about Jaguar emulation on the VCS which is one of the things people have been curious about.

 

Never said anything about selling the emulators

 

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Machine said:

 

Are you going to fix all the glitches in Fast Food?

 

Its Fast Food 64 PC version converted to Linux not Fast Food 64 Jaguar so the glitches you are going on about are not even present so nothing to fix there. Or did you forget I already made a superior PC version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

 

If you seriously consider adding some additional features and improving some aspects of the game, I will definitely buy one of them. I really liked Fast Food 64... but wasn't overly thrilled with the collisions... but I did really like the game. I also thought Jag Zombies had some promise to it... just needed a bit more dynamics to it. If I was going to pay $9.99+ for a game like Jag Zombies, I would want more sprites involved in the explosions and movement. But both games are fun, and I would seriously buy them if some of these things were fixed.

Its Fast Food 64 PC edition not the Jaguar rom.

 

I said JagZombies 2. Not JagZombies 1. But it will also have JagZombies 1 included in the package just like the JZ2 Jaguar version has.

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/6/2021 at 3:40 PM, 82-T/A said:

 

Yeah, I started doing that too. I got rid of maybe 3/4ths of all my game systems... and maybe half of that I gave away for free on here. I just didn't really want any of it anymore, and never played it. I have a Saturn, Dreamcast, Super Nintendo, two NESes, and a bunch of Atari systems... and maybe ~50 Atari 2600 and 7800 games still in the original box (shrinkwrapped). I don't know why I have any of this stuff... I haven't played ANY of it in years.

 

I played the NES with the original Final Fantasy a couple of months ago.. but that ended quick. I'm thinking I just need to get rid of all of it and move on. I have my VCS, and I'm enjoying it, and I have this ridiculously expensive gaming computer that I bought, and the last thing I even played on that was Bards Tale in DOS BOX.. lol. I got like this when my wife told me she was pregnant (12 years ago), and I got rid of half of my cars, and half of my computers / games. Over the years, I've just been wanting stuff less and less... and at 42 now... I'm like... when will I ever have time for this? The VCS is cool... and I enjoy it, I don't really need these other systems... sigh... but I do still really like the Jaguar, but again... can't remember the last time I played it. Half of the Atari ST conversion games I bought, I haven't even opened up the boxes yet to play them even once. Not that I don't like them, I just don't get around to it.

Have a copy of Donkey Kong 7800 for sale?

Edited by sn8k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...