IGNORED

XEX-Files that uses DOS in Ataric800MacX emulator

Copper

Hello everybody,

I'm playing around with the Atari800MacX emulator and wonder how I use XEXs that require a dos.

my approach:

- booting eg MyDOS

- loading the xex (here an editor)

in the editor disk devices aren't available (error 130)

Do I have a min twist here, or should that work?

Best Marco

How do you load the .xex? It should be on the same disk like the DOS.

If you have the .xex separately, use "Media - Edit an .atr Disk Image", choose the disk with the DOS and then click "Import Files From Mac".

If there is not enough space on the disk, create a new one with any size (Media - New Floppy Image).

Or am I getting you wrong?

36 minutes ago, skr said:

How do you load the .xex? It should be on the same disk like the DOS

Thank you.

My approach was to boot the DOS and then just throw the xex into the emulator.

when I put the editor onto the DOS disk, how do I start the program out of the DOS?

2 hours ago, Copper said:

Thank you.

My approach was to boot the DOS and then just throw the xex into the emulator.

when I put the editor onto the DOS disk, how do I start the program out of the DOS?

Ah, thought so. That doesn´t work. It´s actually like booting a DOS disk on the real hardware and then switch off the machine and try to boot the xex, just that Atari800MacX starts the xex, while the real hardware would give a nice "Boot Error" scroller.

You wrote you use MyDos, there it is quite simple: When booting, make sure BASIC is off, that will bring you directly to the menu. Then you hit "L" and type in the name of the program, you want to load. If you are not sure about the name, just hit "1" to get the directory of D1:, which shows you the files. It´s nearly the same with AtariDOS 2.5.

When you boot with BASIC enabled, you end up in the BASIC editor, which just shows you "READY" and a Cursor. Here you can type "DOS" and will get to the menu, too.

15 hours ago, skr said:

...here it is quite simple: When booting, make sure BASIC is off, that will bring you directly to the menu. ...

Works like charm. Thanks again. It has been quite a while since I used those machines

Great to hear.

And if you want to tune your BASIC skills, consider writing something in 10 Lines:

And don´t try to compete with vitoco, he´s incredibly skilled. It´s just fun to write something and bring it down to 10 lines.

• Like 2