IGNORED

#FujiNet doesn't boot on 1200XL

Finally getting around to setting up the #FujiNet I received for Christmas, and am having a problem with it booting on my 1200XL.

Firmware is today's release (Feb. 6), but this was also happening with the January 24th release.  Using the macOS version of the flasher under Big Sur to write it.

Basically, plugging the #FujiNet into the 1200XL results in no boot from the #FujiNet.  The system starts up, I get the rainbow 'ATARI' graphic, and after that it drops to a blue screen similar to the one used by BASIC, but without the 'READY' prompt.  At this point, the machine just sits there, going no further.

AFAIK, the 1200XL is completely stock.  OS is v10 (no '®' symbol next to the 'ATARI' graphic).  PSU is one of Best's NOS 1200XL units that I picked up a month or so ago; it measured out OK at the time.  Runs Star Raiders from cartridge like a champ.  Only known issue is that the keyboard mylar needs repair / replacement.

For giggles, I popped the #FujiNet into my also-stock 800XL.  Booted right up without any issue.  FWIW, that machine also needs a mylar so I can't do a whole lot with it, but at least it shows that the #FujiNet comes up as expected and sees APs.

[For even more giggles, I popped it into my equally-stock 16K 600XL.  As expected, it didn't work, though I did get a nice screen full of stripes.  The key click sound was still functional, though :D ]

I suspect that the issue is with the 1200XL, not #FujiNet.  However, I'd appreciate a sanity check in case I've overlooked something - this is both my first #FujiNet as well as my first 1200XL, so it's entirely possible that I've glossed over something small but important.

6 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

it may be the current limiting resistor on the +5V line. Plug a power source into the USB port, and try booting.

-Thom

Unfortunately, that didn't work.  Used the same RasPi 2.5A adapter that was powering the 600XL / 800XL and no dice.

I did notice that there's a brief squawk when the machine is turned on - it's like the sort of sound you'd hear if a cassette errored out, but lower-pitched and maybe 0.5 seconds in duration.  Not sure if that's significant or not, but figured I'd mention it.

@x=usr(1536)

With the 1200XL it's almost always either the +5V current limiting resister, or booting too fast... solution is always jump the resistor or external usb power to the fujinet

for the 800, it also boots too fast so external usb power for that.

600XL, needs a memory upgrade...

800XL/XE and 130XE are fine the way they are

try a different power supply,

sounds like your particular 1200XL might have other issues, maybe a noisy reset line tickling things. Replace the reset circuit's capacitor on the 1200XL

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

With the 1200XL it's almost always either the +5V current limiting resister, or booting too fast... solution is always jump the resistor or external usb power to the fujinet

Copy that.  I'll take care of the resistor when I have the machine open to deal with the mylar; the 800XL has precedence in that regard, largely because its mylar is already here.

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

for the 800, it also boots too fast so external usb power for that.

600XL, needs a memory upgrade...

Yep, the 600XL's a known quantity; see my signature for details :D

The 800XL boots without the need for external power - it just comes right up.

11 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

the 800 needs the external usb power to fujinet the 800XL and 130XE are fine.

you can keep it usb powered for all and that just means all your configs and stuff are there for the next boot

Ah, gotcha.  I misread '800' as '800XL'.

The long-term plan is to have one FujiNet per A8 - tnfsd is running locally, so they'll all be able to share the same (synchronised) resources.

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

the 800 needs the external usb power to fujinet the 800XL and 130XE are fine.

you can keep it usb powered for all and that just means all your configs and stuff are there for the next boot

Yep, even though on my Incognito 800 Fujinet boots fine, as it has the Incognito boot screen to allow Fujinet the time it needs, I always use the USB power so if I reboot my 800 everything stays the same on Fujinet. Plus, less amperage strain on the PSU with all the upgrades I have in her and more to come. Even if my 31VA PSU would be up to it.

Having gone back over the suggestions and given getting the FujiNet to boot some more shots, I'm no closer to success.

What needs to be done to have it boot successfully?  I've tried various combinations of 1200XL first, FujiNet first, pauses of varying length between both, and holding my mouth just right.  None seem to be working.

I can see the orange card activity LED flash a half-dozen or so times after the 1200XL is switched on, so it does appear to be trying to do something.

21 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Having gone back over the suggestions and given getting the FujiNet to boot some more shots, I'm no closer to success.

What needs to be done to have it boot successfully?  I've tried various combinations of 1200XL first, FujiNet first, pauses of varying length between both, and holding my mouth just right.  None seem to be working.

I can see the orange card activity LED flash a half-dozen or so times after the 1200XL is switched on, so it does appear to be trying to do something.

We just pushed a fix for a bizarre issue with the SIO UART, can you see if this fixes things for you?

-Thom

Unfortunately, there was no change.  This was with the latest firmware from https://fujinet.online/firmware-dl/

I have a 410 sitting here as well as a few cassette games.  No idea if the media is any good or not, but I'll try to verify that SIO is working on this machine either tonight or tomorrow by seeing if they'll at least start loading.  Don't want to have everyone going down rabbit holes that ultimately come back to 'my machine needs <x> to be fixed'.

Late edit: have tried the FujiNet both powered from USB and unpowered with the same results.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

41 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

What needs to be done to have it boot successfully?

Can you get some debug output from the FujiNet when trying to boot on the 1200XL? Hookup USB to a computer, run the fujinet flasher and hit the serial debug output button. Paste the output here (inside a spoiler tag preferably) 

10 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Can you get some debug output from the FujiNet when trying to boot on the 1200XL? Hookup USB to a computer, run the fujinet flasher and hit the serial debug output button. Paste the output here (inside a spoiler tag preferably) 

Done!

Spoiler

Using '/dev/cu.usbserial-144140' as serial port.
Showing logs:
[20:23:32]
[20:23:32]CF: 00 31 53 00 00
[20:23:32]CHECKSUM_ERROR
[20:23:32]
[20:23:32]CF: 00 00 4f 4f 4f
[20:23:32]CHECKSUM_ERROR
[20:23:32]Toggling baudrate from 19200 to 67431
[20:23:32]set_baudrate change from 19200 to 67431

That's all that I get after letting it sit for a couple of minutes.  I'm going to guess that 'CHECKSUM_ERROR' probably isn't desired behaviour ;)

Edited by x=usr(1536)

2 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

That's all that I get after letting it sit for a couple of minutes.  I'm going to guess that 'CHECKSUM_ERROR' probably isn't desired behaviour

You should get more output than that I would think. Run the flash tool, turn on debug output, press reset button on fujinet before turning on the atari.

The checksum error isn't desired, no, but I see the fujinet is getting the serial data. "CF: 00 31 53 00 00" is an out of order command frame, it should be "CF: 31 53 00 00 84". 

17 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

You should get more output than that I would think. Run the flash tool, turn on debug output, press reset button on fujinet before turning on the atari.

The checksum error isn't desired, no, but I see the fujinet is getting the serial data. "CF: 00 31 53 00 00" is an out of order command frame, it should be "CF: 31 53 00 00 84". 

Ah, got it.  The following was taken from FujiNet powerup (power switch was flipped after laptop was connected to USB) followed by booting the 1200XL.

Spoiler

Using '/dev/cu.usbserial-144140' as serial port.
Showing logs:
[20:52:24][20:52:24]
[20:52:24]--~--~--~--
[20:52:24]FujiNet 0.5.d8fe21ec 2021-02-04 01:56:38 Started @ 3
[20:52:24]Starting heap: 4056784
[20:52:24]PsramSize 3932108
[20:52:24]himem phys 4456448
[20:52:24]himem free 4456448
[20:52:24]himem reserved 262144
[20:52:24]FujiNet Hardware v1.0
[20:52:24]SPIFFS mounted.
[20:52:24]SD mounted.
[20:52:24]fnConfig::load
[20:52:24]Found copy of config file on SD - copying that to SPIFFS
[20:52:24]copy_file "/fnconfig.ini" -> "/fnconfig.ini"
[20:52:24]copy_file copied 430 bytes
[20:52:24]fnConfig::load read 430 bytes from config file
[20:52:24]WIFI_EVENT_STA_START
[20:52:24]disk MOUNT
[20:52:24]ATR MOUNT
[20:52:24]mounted ATR: paragraphs=5760, sect_size=128, sect_count=720, disk_size=0
[20:52:24]Creating a default printer using FS_SDFAT storage and type 1
[20:52:24]SSH client initialized.
[20:52:24]ModemSniffer::ModemSniffer(FS_SDFAT)
[20:52:24]SIO SETUP
[20:52:24]Set HSIO baud from 0 to 67431 (index 6), alt=68209
[20:52:24]Available heap: 3858412
[20:52:24]Setup complete @ 537 (534ms)
[20:52:35]
[20:52:35]CF: 00 31 53 00 00
[20:52:35]CHECKSUM_ERROR
[20:52:35]
[20:52:35]CF: 00 00 4f 4f 4f
[20:52:35]CHECKSUM_ERROR
[20:52:35]Toggling baudrate from 19200 to 67431
[20:52:35]set_baudrate change from 19200 to 67431

34 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Ah, got it.  The following was taken from FujiNet powerup (power switch was flipped after laptop was connected to USB) followed by booting the 1200XL.

Looks like a lot of missing command frames there. I only see 2 that actually made it to the fujinet and the bits are out of order. Not really sure what's going on here

Do you have any other devices to load stuff on Ataris at all? An SIO2PC device, SDrive/SDrive-MAX, vintage drive, etc? As you note in your first post, it sure sounds like something is up with the 1200XL. And just to be clear, the FujiNet unit itself works with other Ataris, correct? 

4 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Do you have any other devices to load stuff on Ataris at all? An SIO2PC device, SDrive/SDrive-MAX, vintage drive, etc?

In that regard, I have the 410 and a 1050.  Condition of both is currently-unknown; the 410 was a freebie pickup from a year or two ago, and the last time the 1050 saw any use was probably in 2004 or 2005.  I'm not expecting either one to work, but can test assuming that I can find power supplies for them.

4 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

As you note in your first post, it sure sounds like something is up with the 1200XL. And just to be clear, the FujiNet unit itself works with other Ataris, correct? 

Correct.  It boots as expected on the 800XL, and does not boot (also as expected) on the 600XL.

The thing that gets me, though, is that Star Raiders works just fine on the 1200XL.  Granted, that does bypass the OS - but it's the one A8 cartridge that I have.  There is both 5.25" and cassette software floating around; I'll see if I can't get the 1200XL to boot (or not) some of those titles.  I just hope the disks / cassettes are still good.

I wouldn't hold out hope for the 410. I have four of them, including one NIB, and none of them work. The drive belts all turn to saggy goo with time and need to be replaced. This is actually a very common problem with vintage cassette decks of all kinds. I have some hipster music-loving friends and now that vinyl has become pseudo-mainstream again, they are turning to vintage cassette decks, I shit you not. Kids these days ... Anyway, the 410 probably won't work. The 1050 might if it's been stored in a clean, dry place - of course, it uses the same 9VAC PSU that your 1200XL uses. You can at least power it and listen for the drive head to seek and the motor to spin up and back down. If you have a simple boot disk of any kind, it would at least help you verify the 1200XL SIO port. 

I will add though that I have personally run into a POKEY that refused to do serial I/O. Keyboard reading worked, potentiometer readings (paddles) worked; sound worked; serial input/output did not. Swapped the chip and the problem went away. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I wouldn't hold out hope for the 410. I have four of them, including one NIB, and none of them work. The drive belts all turn to saggy goo with time and need to be replaced. This is actually a very common problem with vintage cassette decks of all kinds.

Yep.  Actually started running into this problem in the late '90s: my 1010 did exactly that.  It was a weekend of cleaning to get that up and running again after I'd bought a belt for it.

I have some hipster music-loving friends and now that vinyl has become pseudo-mainstream again, they are turning to vintage cassette decks, I shit you not. Kids these days ...

Oh, I know.  Been watching the prices of component cassette decks climb in thrift stores and elsewhere over the last year or so because hipsters.

Anyway, the 410 probably won't work. The 1050 might if it's been stored in a clean, dry place - of course, it uses the same 9VAC PSU that your 1200XL uses. You can at least power it and listen for the drive head to seek and the motor to spin up and back down. If you have a simple boot disk of any kind, it would at least help you verify the 1200XL SIO port.

Not expecting anything from the 410.  I just figured that as long as I can get the 1200XL to do a motor start on the 410, that should be at least a basic indicator of how well (or not) SIO is working.

As for the 1050, it looks like most of what I have accessible are commercial disk titles.  There are other disks, but right now I have something like 46 plastic bins to go through holding about 25 years of my life.  Wherever they are, I have no idea.

That said, I'll try to find which bin the 1050 is in and see how well it powers up or not.  I remember that switch-on sound *very* well :D

I will add though that I have personally run into a POKEY that refused to do serial I/O. Keyboard reading worked, potentiometer readings (paddles) worked; sound worked; serial input/output did not. Swapped the chip and the problem went away. 

Which is a good point.  That said, with a shot keyboard mylar and no paddles, I can't verify those two - but the startup data burst noise tells me that sound is at least working.  In any event, I do have a non-working 5200 with a POKEY of unknown condition, but it is at least a swap candidate.  The ones in the 600XL and 800XL are good, but I'm kinda reluctant to swap those out since both of those machines are working.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

2 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

The ones in the 600XL and 800XL are good, but I'm kinda reluctant to swap those out since both of those machines are working.

Swap the one from the 1200XL to one of the others and verify SIO functionality there. If the 1200XL’s POKEY works in another host machine, you can rule out the chip itself as an issue. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

Swap the one from the 1200XL to one of the others and verify SIO functionality there. If the 1200XL’s POKEY works in another host machine, you can rule out the chip itself as an issue. 

Fair point, and will do.  Right now I have zero workspace (see: 46 plastic bins) to do this in, but as soon as I can make the space it'll happen.

Right...  The 410's rewind and fast-forward aren't functional, but it just loaded Thorn EMI's Darts on the 600XL.  FWIW, it's the later model with six buttons.

Unfortunately, until I can get to the point where holding down START at boot works on the 1200XL, there's not much I can do.  But it should work as an SIO test.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

• 2 weeks later...

Well after having fujinet NOT WORKING on my Stock 1200XL, with sio fix and then the power supply, But was working on 1200XL with 800XL OS and mmu , same goes for The A800 Stock works fine as does 800 with incognito. so your 1200XL stock not working is common It seems.

Went back today to check Fujinet on the Stock 1200xl, first came up with atari logo, then looked at angle, was just a couple hairs offset, Reinstalled and then worked. Looks like it has a close fit with case.

Just make sure it's plugged into the 1200XL all the way, as some cases hace a small bulge.