IGNORED

Atari800MacX + SpartaDOS and H1:

Copper

My next question is how can I access the mounted H1-H4 HDDs (which point to folders on my Mac) from SpartaDOS?

H: Patch is activated

When I try to access eg H1: I get an error 130

Edited by Copper

You can't access the host device or any other CIO device directly from the SpartaDOS X command line, since it uses its own kernel device names (CON: for the screen, etc). You'll need to wait for SIO level host emulation in the emulator.

A better SDX alternative which should work right now is PCLINK, which allows access to (in this case) the host OS filesystem via the PCL: device. See the SDX toolkit for details.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, skr said:

Did you set the paths for the HDDs in the "Hard Drives" tab?

537397032_Bildschirmfoto2021-02-07um00_37_33.thumb.jpg.8d5bad2e6a93c5bb02caf84177668471.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-07 um 00.37.07.jpg

25 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

You can't access the host device or any other CIO device directly from the SpartaDOS X command line,

A better SDX alternative which should work right now is PCLINK, which allows access to

Thank you, I‘ll give that a try.

14 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Probably anything but SDX, but wildcard support may be patchy. Try PCLINK, though. It's supported by Atari800MacX and is great.

Once again Jon, you mention something that's a gem, I've been struggling with copying files I build onto my 800 and 130XE and was 

thinking of writing something to do file transfer as swapping out SD cards back and forth was getting a pain.

I have a few Raspberry Pi's so I compiled the SIO2BSD files, installed and pointed to a directory, then shared that directory and

mounted it on my PC, the 800 saw the directory as a HD straight away and now I can copy files back and forth with ease.

My life just became much easier ?

Maybe next time I should read the SDX manual ? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Copper said:

Which DOS will work to access the H* device?

Additionally, a little technical info: H: is completely indipendent from DOS. DOS creates the D-device. The H-device, provided by the Emulator, is a total different device and runs even without a DOS loaded. H: even works diffetently on different emulators, e.g. in Atari800Win you get full access to Windows long filenames.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 5:39 PM, skr said:

Did you set the paths for the HDDs in the "Hard Drives" tab?

537397032_Bildschirmfoto2021-02-07um00_37_33.thumb.jpg.8d5bad2e6a93c5bb02caf84177668471.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-07 um 00.37.07.jpg

Hi, Can someone help me understand how to use the D-device? I can get results like the one shown using the H-device. However I cannot get the D-device to work. For instance the command ENTER "D5:HELLO.BAS" results in a 130 error, while the command ENTER "H1:HELLO.BAS" works fine. I also cannot access D-device drives from MyDos (v 4.50). When I try to get a disk directory of D5:*.* it results in a 163 error.

So according to Page 6 issue 22:

Error-163 Unrecoverable system data I/O error.

This error appears to act a, a catch-all for any I/O error not covered by the other I/O error codes, and for which the cause cannot be determined. It appears to be a very rare error. Suggested causes are malfunctioning equipment, corrupted DOS, and damaged disks (though there are presumably others).

Are you trying to emulate a real drive without it's ROM? Also could it be a corrupted disk image?

In the Atari800MacX preferences - 

on the Hard Drive tab I have H1: set to use a directory on my Mac (/Users/dmmx/workspaces/atari_ws/8-bit/HD1)

then on the Atari tab I have both the Enable H: Patch and Enable D Patch checked on

I then load an atr image of MyDOS into Drive 1. I can get a directory listing of D1, but not D5.

Edited by dmmx
D: kept changing to emoji

I am using version 6.0.0 that came out on 2021-01-18. 

It looks like the issue was fixed in version 5.4.1:

>> Fixed issue with D Patch which was introduced in version 5.3.0

And that it had previously been disabled in version 5.3.1

>> Disabled D Patch for this version, as it is not functioning with the new atari800 core. It will be readded in a future version.

Does anyone have this working? If so what version of Atari800MacX are you using? What version of MyDOS?

• 2 years later...
On 3/8/2021 at 12:46 AM, atarixle said:

Look at http://www.sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_addons there is an Add-On called Emu-Pack 0.2: "access emulator's "H:" device from COMMAND.COM."

Thank you very much, Atari XLE. The Emu-Pack add-on worked. It took a while to figure out how to unpack the "arc" file and then read the help text. But eventually I did. I keep the files on my D1 (or A) drive. I then added PATH A:>;CAR: to my AUTOEXEC.BAT file so it would work called from any drive.