IGNORED

QuadTari

gauauu

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@johnnywc

Did you find time for testing?

Hi TJ!

Not yet - I'll put this on the to-do list. :)  Is the test to see if the physical QuadTari is recognized when it's connected to the R77 front ports, USB ports, both?  To be sure, what version of Stella should I have on the R77 to test with?  6.5?

Thanks!

John

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Both if you can. Use 6.5.1 (not 6.5), because there we made the change.

Hmmm, I'm looking on the Stella 6 on the R77 page and it looks like the latest release is 6.4?  Where can I find 6.5.1?  Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.. ;) 

EDIT: Guess it was something obvious; I found a link for it on the official Stella download page.  :dunce: 

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

I just received a second one in the mail the other day. I believe I only paid for one. Pm me to make sure. Instead of paying to have it shipped back I might have a friend that would possibly be interested in buying it...

Thanks for letting me know. Turns out there was a glitch in the order tracking software that I use, and it seems to have double-printed labels for some orders (sigh).  I'll PM you.

I believe mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I got the kit version so I will be putting mine together. I like getting kits like this to assemble as it just feels more 'mine' and personal that way? I know...strange right?

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Both if you can. Use 6.5.1 (not 6.5), because there we made the change.

I gave it a test.  Through the front pot, it does seem better in that it does detect the 1st joystick properly now, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be able to read any joysticks plugged into the additional port (port 3 or port 4). ?   It performed the same through the USB connector in my tests also; it could just read inputs from the first joystick.

However, it may just be because I have no way of mapping those ports because they aren't recognized as inputs with Stella.  Meaning, when I try to map inputs to joysticks P2 and P3, I can't map to the additional joysticks because Stella would need to set DUMPPORTS high to enable the physical joystick connected to port 3 of the QuadTari.  I'm confused actually; I'm not sure how it would work in software, but somehow you would need to map using the 2nd physical joystick connected to QuadTari port 3 to Stella joystick port P2.  (and the same for QT port 4/Stella joystick input configuration for P3).  :ponder:  

3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I believe mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I got the kit version so I will be putting mine together. I like getting kits like this to assemble as it just feels more 'mine' and personal that way? I know...strange right?

Totally understand. I figured that some people would really enjoy putting them together, and it saves me time on assembly (and thus saves you a little bit of money) Win-win ?

If you run into any problems with assembly, don't hesitate to reach out!

18 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

I gave it a test.  Through the front pot, it does seem better in that it does detect the 1st joystick properly now, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be able to read any joysticks plugged into the additional port (port 3 or port 4). ?   It performed the same through the USB connector in my tests also; it could just read inputs from the first joystick.

However, it may just be because I have no way of mapping those ports because they aren't recognized as inputs with Stella.  Meaning, when I try to map inputs to joysticks P2 and P3, I can't map to the additional joysticks because Stella would need to set DUMPPORTS high to enable the physical joystick connected to port 3 of the QuadTari.  I'm confused actually; I'm not sure how it would work in software, but somehow you would need to map using the 2nd physical joystick connected to QuadTari port 3 to Stella joystick port P2.  (and the same for QT port 4/Stella joystick input configuration for P3).  :ponder:  

Hm, I get your problem. I suppose I need a QuadTari first to sort out the problems.

Anyway, thanks for testing.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 4:44 PM, gauauu said:

Totally understand. I figured that some people would really enjoy putting them together, and it saves me time on assembly (and thus saves you a little bit of money) Win-win ?

If you run into any problems with assembly, don't hesitate to reach out!

Got my kit this week and assembled it. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet though.

My only suggestion is to include sockets for the ICs (even on the ones you sell assembled). Would only add maybe $1 to the over all cost.  Personally, I like to avoid soldered ICs for a couple reasons. But to each their own. Luckily I had exactly 4 sockets on hand for this.

Edit: I lied, one more suggestion. Use proper tapered/tapping screws (preferably philips instead of hex) for holding the PCB inside. Starting those machine thread screws was a PITA. 

Edited by nick3092

7 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

My only suggestion is to include sockets for the ICs (even on the ones you sell assembled). Would only add maybe $1 to the over all cost.  Personally, I like to avoid soldered ICs for a couple reasons.

Yeah, I went back and forth on this one while prototyping. I've got a handful of sockets, I can start distributing them with the kits.  

8 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

Use proper tapered/tapping screws (preferably philips instead of hex) for holding the PCB inside. Starting those machine thread screws was a PITA. 

I'm still tweaking what screw to use there. I had some better screws for it, but it turns out that the screw holes were sized differently from the prototype enclosure from the factory, and meant that my original screws were too small. so I had to pivot and get something else quickly. 

38 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

Got my kit this week and assembled it. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet though.

My only suggestion is to include sockets for the ICs (even on the ones you sell assembled). Would only add maybe $1 to the over all cost.  Personally, I like to avoid soldered ICs for a couple reasons. But to each their own. Luckily I had exactly 4 sockets on hand for this.

Edit: I lied, one more suggestion. Use proper tapered/tapping screws (preferably philips instead of hex) for holding the PCB inside. Starting those machine thread screws was a PITA. 

These are excellent suggestions. I installed sockets on mine as well as apparently I have over 20 of them on hand for some other project in the past. I also had a heck of a time getting those hex screws started to hold down the PCB and was about to get my small tap kit to make that easier but I was able to get them in without having to do so.

3 minutes ago, Karl G said:

But can you plug 4 more QuadTaris into a QuadTari for a total of 16 ports?

I've been plotting for awhile to next make an 8-player multitap for the NES.

(although this little project has proven to be more difficult to get right than I expected, so I've learned that I'm not a hardware guy)

• Like 1

Just now, Danjovic said:

Do you mean 4 on each port or 8 in one port? 

It would be 4 on each port, but using the same method that the NES 4-player multitaps use. The NES reads controller data serially, so the multitaps just stream 8 more bits of data on the same port.

1 hour ago, gauauu said:

It would be 4 on each port, but using the same method that the NES 4-player multitaps use. The NES reads controller data serially, so the multitaps just stream 8 more bits of data on the same port

Oh, you mean to use on the Atari ? Something like this? latch and clock line shared and one data line for each NES controller ?

image.png.bd7ec477518cc94c57136fb3a917b73a.png