IGNORED

QuadTari

gauauu

17 hours ago, gauauu said:

Just shy of 6 feet.

cool, just ordered one... I just needed one more practical reason to pull the trigger :)

I can day dream about my friends actually coming over to play 2 player WoW with speech but yeah, unlikely to happen...

My kids will humor me, but since they grew up with a Wii, switch, etc they will never feel the same about it as I do...I'll get one game out of them at best...

but the thing looks sweet, will be practical for Robotron score saves and I needed controller extensions anyways so I'm in :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

My kids will humor me, but since they grew up with a Wii, switch, etc they will never feel the same about it as I do...I'll get one game out of them at best

I have a lot better luck getting my wife and kids to play the tiny demo-style 4-player games (like the little stuff on my quadgames, or @Karl G's raindrops demo) than I do other more involved games.

The hardest part is getting them comfortable with the Atari joystick. It's amazing how kids these days can't figure out how to use that thing. They all fight over the genesis gamepads so that they won't have to use the joysticks.

6 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Not feasible with the QuadTari. Only the buttons would be supported

Still tempting though with just using the buttons. Although it will be tough finding people that are willing to buy 2 or 3 extra sets of paddles and get a group of 8 people together. Niche market of niche markets ?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, gauauu said:

Still tempting though with just using the buttons. Although it will be tough finding people that are willing to buy 2 or 3 extra sets of paddles and get a group of 8 people together. Niche market of niche markets ?

Just to have an 8 player game would be interesting, but might be an excellent fit for convention tournaments.

Even more niche: four player shooting gallery with light guns.

57 minutes ago, McCallister said:

Just to have an 8 player game would be interesting, but might be an excellent fit for convention tournaments.

Even more niche: four player shooting gallery with light guns.

Would a 4 player shooting gallery be feasible? The way light guns work is to blank the screen and flash a white square where the target is. If there are multiple targets, they each have to blank/flash in turn.

Not sure how long each of these flashes needs to stay in the screen, but with multiple targets and multiple players, I would expect the the screen to be a flickery mess at some point. I don’t even remember any 2-player simultaneous light gun games on NES, although that may have been due to a hardware limitation with the gamepad ports and I/O chip.

• Like 1

Just now, Danjovic said:

Do you mean a DIY version of four-score adapter or something different

A DIY version that chains together twice as many controllers. (The four score and satellite stream 2 controllers-worth of bits for each port. I want 4 on each port)

3 minutes ago, Danjovic said:

Would a microcontroller be acceptable to accomplish this? That would render the adapter to a minimum of components

Yeah I think so. The real cost would be the enclosure and 8 NES controller sockets. Being a non-standard connector, those things aren't as easy to pick up for cheap.

23 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

Would a 4 player shooting gallery be feasible? The way light guns work is to blank the screen and flash a white square where the target is. If there are multiple targets, they each have to blank/flash in turn.

Not sure how long each of these flashes needs to stay in the screen, but with multiple targets and multiple players, I would expect the the screen to be a flickery mess at some point. I don’t even remember any 2-player simultaneous light gun games on NES, although that may have been due to a hardware limitation with the gamepad ports and I/O chip.

Not sure myself, but you are probably correct. I do know that at least one light gun works as a passthrough with the Quadtari. 

At any rate,  Quadtari is definitely worth picking up right now with the games that already make use of it.

3 minutes ago, gauauu said:

Being a non-standard connector, those things aren't as easy to pick up for cheap.

Indeed. I know that Raphael Assenat (from raphnet.net) sell them, and it is also possible to canibalize extension cords. Another alternative is to search ali express for a manufacturer of extension cable and ask them if they can provide half of the extension cord or a connector for PCB, because not everything the chinese manufacture is readily available on their website. I've been through that some time ago while looking for a 7 way automotive connector and on the whole ali express I could only find connectors with 5 pins. But after the contact the manufacturer have sent me a link to buy the connector that I wanted.

about the circuit I will think in something.

Brainstorming:

A one button, eight players racing game might work. Either eight horizontal or vertical lanes (one for each player) or a circuit layout with 8 different starting positions.

The track consists out of two (maybe three) types of zones (accelerate, brake, (neutral)). When you press the button, the zone you are currently on gets active. So you have to time your button presses so that you hit the accelerate zones and avoid the brake zones.

In case of separate lanes, you race towards the checkered flag. In case of a circuit, you try to catch and eliminate your opponent ahead.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

I think about extend the fourScore to 8 inputs while keeping the same protocol: 

Read $4016 D0 8x for the 8 bit report from controller #1.

Read $4016 D0 8x for the report from controller #3.

Read $4016 D0 8x for the signature: $10

Read $4017 D0 8x for the report from controller #2.

Read $4017 D0 8x for the report from controller #4.

Read $4017 D0 8x for the signature: $20

ad $4016 D0 8x for the 8 bit report from controller #5.

Read $4016 D0 8x for the report from controller #7.

Read $4016 D0 8x for the signature: $30

Read $4017 D0 8x for the report from controller #6.

Read $4017 D0 8x for the report from controller #8.

Read $4017 D0 8x for the signature: $40

would be better to move this discussion to another topic?

Edited by Danjovic

I created a non-playable demo of my simple, eight player, one button racing game. 

Gameplay (not implemented yet):

• When the button is pressed and the car is over the boost arrows, the car accelerates. 
  • When the button is pressed and the car is not over the boost arrows, the car brakes. 
  • When no button is pressed, the car slows down gradually.
  • The horizontal position of the car signals the position in the race. Also it requires the reaction of the leading players to be faster. Currently the difference per position is half the car width, this may change, even while the game is played.

Vroom 8!

Vroom 8! (v0.1).bin

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I created a non-playable demo of my simple, eight player, one button racing game. 

Gameplay (not implemented yet):

• When the button is pressed and the car is over the boost arrows, the car accelerates. 
  • When the button is pressed and the car is not over the boost arrows, the car brakes. 
  • When no button is pressed, the car slows down gradually.
  • The horizontal position of the car signals the position in the race. Also it requires the reaction of the leading players to be faster. Currently the difference per position is half the car width, this may change, even while the game is played.

Vroom 8!

Vroom 8! (v0.1).bin 2 kB · 0 downloads

That looks great TJ!  It reminds me of those carnival games where you're either shooting water or a ball into a target and it moves along a horse during a race.  Can't wait to see how this one progresses!   I believe it will be the first 8-player Atari game. :D   With all these multiplayer games being made, maybe @ZeroPage Homebrew James should consider adding a "Best Multi-player Game" category to next year's award. ;) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

That looks great TJ!  It reminds me of those carnival games where you're either shooting water or a ball into a target and it moves along a horse during a race. 

Exactly what I was reminded of. Boy oh boy would this be fun for a party night game. Brilliant!

• Like 1

Looks like some fun stuff in the works...

I enjoyed 2 player, 4 joystick 'Robot War' with the demo rom and Quadtari last night, which I guess means my Quadtari works. Thanks Johnny and everyone else involved! 

But the Wizard of Wor demo did not work with the quadtari plugged into the left port and atarivox plugged into the right port (one stick controlled both characters, with right direction not working). Meanwhile Gorf Arcade and Quad Games demos did not load through my Harmony Cart, on the 2600 or 7800. Could be my futzy modded systems I guess. Or maybe I have to update my Harmony cart? I ordered the WoW cartridge and I'll test with that. 

Has anyone considered hacking freeway for more players? I think a simple 4 player, avoid the objects game (ala Channel F Dodge It) or grab the objects (like the 2600 homebrew Chase It) would work nicely as well....... And of course 4 player Surround, and Indy 500 with four driving controllers... 

Edited by doug0909
Spelling