IGNORED

Mega STe Rest Switch Pins

The computer will start without it. It is pulled high (+5V) normally without the reset button according to schematics.

Then short pin 2 and 3 to reset the computer. Should be the middle pin (common) and the right pin (towards all the resistors). There is also two offset pins but that is just for stability.

Or just solder a wire to the middle hole and short that wire to ground when you want to do a reset. Like the outer rim/ground plane that the shielding connects to.

Edited by snarkdluG

@snarkdluG So...let me back up a step.

When I first got the board, I would power it up and, if on color, show a blank white screen.  If on mono, a black screen.  I looked around a bit and noticed that reset button was not bouncing back out.  When I pulled it out, the machine booted.  I removed the reset button and soldered header pins into into the board.  I also replaced the memory sockets and changed the TOS ROMS to 2.06; though I have walked the TOS upgrade back now.  When I power the machine on now, I get the same behavior I was getting with the stuck reset button and am ASSUMING that I need to jump some connection there to make it work again.

Is it possible that the identical behavior is actually being cause by some other problem?  How SURE are you that the machine should work fine without a rest button, or did I misunderstand you?

Again, thanks for the help.

Reset button needs to be opened (not short cut) for normal work. Only when is pressed it will give reset signal to CPU and other chips, via that LM chip.

So, you need to check with voltmeter, ohmmeter is there shortcut. And voltage on reset line, what is normally high, only low for short time after power on (that's what that LM does) .

35 minutes ago, pixelmischief said:

How SURE are you that the machine should work fine without a rest button, or did I misunderstand you?

The reset button when pressed pulls the trigger pin on 1 half of a 556 configured as a monostable multivibrator,

to ground, this causes the chip to provide a reset pulse of a defined length to the ST circuits.

The reset pin is normally pulled high by R213, so removing the reset button will still allow the machine to boot.

I would check you didn't accidentally short any of the pin connections when you put the header back in, for now

I would just remove it again and make sure everything works, then as suggested for now 2 wires out the back,

one to the centre and the other to the 0V line and touch together when you need to reset.

Edited by TGB1718

Ok.  I accidentally happened on something that improves the situation.  I power the machine on and get a full "almost white" screen.  Then, I connect a jumper wire to header pin 2 (second from the left on the picture of the system board).  NOTHING ELSE.  I just slip the wire onto the pin.  The screen blinks black, goes a slightly brighter white, and boots.

@TGB1718 So, you recommend I remove the header pins I soldered in?  Is that still your recommendation given the new info?  After I remove the pins, what do I have to connect to what?

Sounds like just touching the pin (2) is creating enough 'noise' on the pin to cause the 556 to trigger making a 'Reset' happen.

If you have a meter, check which of the other pins are connected to R213, that's the other pin that need a wire on it, not too sure why,

but it does sound like something is holding the reset pin low during power-on preventing a normal boot to start, or could be R213

is not connected so the trigger pin is 'floating', again check with a meter and have a look at the tracks around the reset button pins

to R213. 

If you're replacing your ROM's then you should go ahead and take

it up to TOS v2.06...

PS Okay, reading backwards I see you tried some. Still, while you've

got your machine open and have the opportunity, I'd take them up

to 2.06.

Edited by DarkLord
Additional info...