IGNORED

Atari Klax - 7800

AtariIsMyJam

7 hours ago, Propane13 said:

Oh hey,  found something.

@Cousin Vinnie Any chance you can restore this old page to your new atari7800forever.com site?  It seems to have come of interest again.

I tried finding it and uploading it months ago, but I dont have the cool image of the box with the gold signature, darn it all. 

But I did find this information and re-uploaded it to the new site

http://www.atari7800forever.com/sk.html

The John K Harvey interview and the manual I was talking about back then were uploaded PDF files, unfortunately gone forever unless they are on an old hard drive I can find. 

Edited by Cousin Vinnie

well... since we all is talkin' Klax and my website, I cleaned up the Klax review from the old, dead site after playing the arcade version and the 7800 version for a bit. It is a weird game but it still holds up well. And it EVEN has a partial image of the golden autograph signed Klax box... oooh la la. 

http://www.atari7800forever.com/klaxr.html

Edited by Cousin Vinnie

11 hours ago, Jinks said:

John where have ya been all this time? 

I hope you did not "Get Lost!" ?

I've started lurking on atariage a bit more this year.   Trying to slowly get back into things.

The good news is that source code for Get Lost is safe (and still compiles), so when  the time is right, it can be picked up again.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Propane13 said:

The good news is that source code for Get Lost is safe (and still compiles), so when  the time is right, it can be picked up again.

That's some awesome news.

Does that mean I should search for that old label design layout and get back to work on finishing it?

I'm pretty sure I got mine (a repro) from AtariAge some years ago.

Just a heads-up...at least my copy won't start without a PainLine-compatible controller; a single-button joystick won't do it. It only actually uses one button, but for some reason unless it detects a 2-button controller, it won't start.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

That's some awesome news.

Does that mean I should search for that old label design layout and get back to work on finishing it?

Not yet, but it doesn't hurt to maybe find the image just to keep it safe.  You never know when it might be needed. ;)

I've got a hobby I'm working on which will be closing up around April/May-- if the timing works out, I may start looking back at it around then.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if the arcade version used the YM2151 chip?  And if so, how to get the instrument data?  I got an idea ... ?

EDIT:  Oki MSM6295.  It's a 4 channel speech synthesis chip.  I still wonder about using YM2151 for the music tho ...

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Does anyone know if the arcade version used the YM2151 chip?  And if so, how to get the instrument data?  I got an idea ... ?

EDIT:  Oki MSM6295.  It's a 4 channel speech synthesis chip.  I still wonder about using YM2151 for the music tho ...

Would be fun to use the AtariVox for th speech also: "Klax wave" "ooooh" etc. From what I remember from playing it on the Lynx back in the day, it didn't say a great deal, but you still kinda miss it.

• 3 weeks later...

I scanned the old interview from my printed-out copy and uploaded it for anyone who wants to enjoy it.

Note that I purposely left off the cover and a couple administrative-type pages as my best attempt to ensure collectibility isn't damaged (i.e. omitting those pages should make it a bit tougher for re-printers to duplicate).

@Cousin Vinnie feel free to add this to your page if you desire.

klax.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Propane13 said:

I scanned the old interview from my printed-out copy and uploaded it for anyone who wants to enjoy it.

Note that I purposely left off the cover and a couple administrative-type pages as my best attempt to ensure collectibility isn't damaged (i.e. omitting those pages should make it a bit tougher for re-printers to duplicate).

klax.pdf 1.3 MB · 6 downloads

Well lookie there! You wont believe how much time I spent looking for that to add the new website. Thank you!

19 hours ago, Propane13 said:

klax.pdf 1.3 MB · 8 downloads

Boom, done... You're Atari 7800 famous again John.

http://www.atari7800forever.com/daviddentt.html

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 8:04 PM, AtariIsMyJam said:

Hey yall - I'm new here and looking for a little help.  I found this on ebay and am interested in adding it to my collection!  From the research that I've done, it looks to be pretty rare!  Can you guys/gals tell me if I'm wrong on this?  The seller also has a Sentinel on there as well.  Both have marketing material and manuals.  It looks like maybe these were produced by ResQsoft? It ends in like 2 hours so if you all are able to help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Klax 2.jpg

Klax.jpg

I’ll give it 9/10 if you like puzzlers (like Tetris).

You can order it from Good Deal Games.