Muddyfunster

Bernie and the Cubic Conundrum (WIP)

I'd like to introduce Bernie and the Cubic Conundrum,  previously know as "Project 9".

I started working on Bernie a couple of weeks ago and the project has progressed quite quickly. The plan will be for Bernie to be a 128K ROM + 16K RAM.

No ROM yet, I'll be making a demo available soon when the project is further along.

Inspiration 

Bernie and the Cubic Conundrum takes inspiration from Q*Bert and Pippo but changes up the main gameplay tropes with lots of additional elements.

Features 

Bernie will have a lot of features, and as of writing a lot are already in and working (I did say this one had moved fast!).

• 50+ levels planned (maybe as many as 75)
  • PAL + NTSC palettes and localisation out of the box.
  • 1 and 2 player games, plus "Co-opertition" (idea from border lands 3). In Co-opertition, players work together to clear the round but the player who clears most squares wins the round. So it's kind of like a deathless deathmatch.
  • Standard and Expert Modes
  • Atari Vox support for saving scores
  • Atari Vox support for speech (adult and kid friendly - nothing too "industrial", no hard curses so don't worry), or you can just turn it off.
  • Visual instruction section for easy "pick up and play"
  • Multiple enemy types with different abilities
  • Power Pills to turn enemies in to tasty low calorie nutritious snacks
  • Trap tiles, trapdoor tiles, hole tiles
  • Timers, (have to have timers for speed runs! Actually more like MrDo's timers.)
  • Game speeds up as you progress, enemies take less time to think, bombers are faster, freezers appear, traps appear etc.

To Do

A fair bit to do but the game is looking good enough to share some details.

• SFX & Music
  • Bernie's movement animation (right now he's using the "suprised" Bernie frame and while that looks funny, wasn't the intended outcome!)
  • More enemies
  • Better level transitions.
  • Tidy up collisions.

Anyway, here is Bernie. My wife was kind enough to Crochet a real Bernie for me after she saw my sprites taking shape. (Why Bernie? well that's a story for another day).

IMG_7681.thumb.jpg.c9addf5cec906c4648af5bb6d2b4da0a.jpg

Some screen grabs :

image.thumb.png.cb5c9031cce1de7e7c2be649791bea87.pngimage.thumb.png.137391f8eeb84264e4be67b322b06fe1.png

image.thumb.png.5c7bd34a2777b8e6eb9c70efd433b9a4.png

You Tube Vid :

https://youtu.be/ywmXPiCZs9U

Demo soon.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

That looks really nice, Lewis. Were you inspired by the arcade game, Pettan Pyuu by Sunsoft?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

That looks really nice, Lewis. Were you inspired by the arcade game, Pettan Pyuu by Sunsoft?

That's not a game I'm familiar with, what platform is that ? Arcade ?

Yes, it's an arcade game. Truth be told, watching footage of your game is what reminded me of that arcade obscurity.

• Like 1

Very nice, it already looks like an original, fun game, with nice music and voice, great animations, soft title screen... yes, you are a talented guy (but I know this is nothing new) :) :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a blast! It has some gameplay elements of Q*Bert without the 45 degree angle, that means Tanya won't be falling off the edges as much!

Looking forward to it! 🙂

- James

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2021 at 2:47 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Looks like a blast! It has some gameplay elements of Q*Bert without the 45 degree angle, that means Tanya won't be falling off the edges as much!

Looking forward to it! 🙂

- James

We hope for full "Tanya Certification" in the near future!

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words folks. I hope to have a playable demo in the not too distant future for everyone to have a tinker with. 

Then I need to see if I can bribe @Synthpopaloozafor some more music :D 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:
On 2/7/2021 at 9:47 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Looking forward to it! 🙂

- James

We hope for full "Tanya Certification" in the near future!

I've always had the same issues as Tanya with the isometric perspective of Qbert. What's funny is after the ZPH episode where the new 2600 Qbert was being played, I started playing with some ideas for an orthographic perspective Qbert-like game (just on paper - no actual code). It looks like you have come up with something much cooler than I had been able to dream up myself. I'm really looking forward to being able to try out a demo!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Btw this reminds me a bit of the much more rudimentary Grid Bug for Mattel Aquarius. Especially in your "Expert Mode," where tiles revert back if you touch them a second time - same deal in Grid Bug as a general rule. I'm excited to get my hands on a playable demo!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Btw this reminds me a bit of the much more rudimentary Grid Bug for Mattel Aquarius. Especially in your "Expert Mode," where tiles revert back if you touch them a second time - same deal in Grid Bug as a general rule. I'm excited to get my hands on a playable demo!

Grid bug looks interesting, I've never had much exposure to the Aquarius or Intellivision. A lot of these old games have great concepts and challenges that would translate really well with a more updated approach to graphics and sound. Thanks for linking :) 

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2021 at 7:54 PM, Trebor said:

This looks fantastic, Lewis!  The video was a very nice appetizer...can't wait for the meal! :)

That is awesome!  Might be able to fit those in the box. Can she make 500 of them? ;)

..Al

• Like 4
  • Haha 5