IGNORED

Atari800MacX and inverse characters

Dopeyman06

I think I might've found the culprit...  It's the Basic XL (v1.03) .car image. I dunno why it does that. If doesn't act like that with Basic XE (v4.1) or regular Basic (Revision C).

Anyone have any ideas why?

I'm using the latest version 6.0.0.

Edited by Dopeyman06

On 2/13/2021 at 4:14 PM, skr said:

I can´t reproduce that. Where did you get your car image from?

I use this one: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Basic XL

I grabbed the .car copies of BasicXL and Basic XE from the link you supplied... Like I mentioned, Basic XL is changing the text back to regular text and also back to uppercase... Basic XE doesn't make any changes to my text...

But in both Basics, the first few spaces are deleted

Edited by Dopeyman06

3 hours ago, Dopeyman06 said:

Apparently I'm not the only one experiencing this "bug"(?) in both BasicXL and BasicXE ?‍♂️

Thank you @skr for replicating the problem!

@tf_hh mentioned to me, that changing from uppercase to lowercase (REM -> Rem) could be a measure of saving memory. As inverse characters have higher numbers, it could be, that removing the inversion might save a bit somewhere? As REM lines are not containing executable code, it might makes sense to me, to save some memory here. But actually I don´t know anything about memory usage of BASIC lines. Assuming that memory is an issue, it also makes sense to me, that REMs with quotes are not changed, as BASIC could think there is a string.

Maybe, people who know about how BASIC handles code internally can tell more about this.

44 minutes ago, skr said:

@tf_hh mentioned to me, that changing from uppercase to lowercase (REM -> Rem) could be a measure of saving memory.

Not exactly, my assumption applies to the fact that spaces between "REM" and the text will be discarded. The change vom "REM" to "Rem" is standard in Basic XL, all statements will be LISTed with a first capital letter and the rest lowercase.