IGNORED

The best video to HDMI converter

ratwell

13 hours ago, snicklin said:

What is the inherent problem with RF? Why is it so poor? Is it a standard that could produce decent output if there were decent cables? Or is there a quality problem that RF could never overcome?

RF modulators inside low-budget computers were made as cheaply as possible and by the millions.

Splitting audio and video into separate signals to improve image quality always worked towards improving the image quality (composite -> s-video -> component -> etc) and reduce signal losses.

Having said that, were these low-res games any less fun when played on a 1977 CRT?

The blurring of low-res images was also somewhat helpful reducing the obvious pixelation now easily seen via emulators.

Edited by ratwell

On 4/10/2021 at 5:47 AM, ratwell said:

Here are some screen captures from an 800XL -> RetroTink 2x Mini -> Elgato Cam Link. The stock S-Video in B&W is the giveaway it's an 800XL.

I was wondering if I should expect the same from my XEGS with a S-Video cable on it? 

edit: without any extra hardware. Is it worth it to upgrade from composite to S-video on my XEGS?

Edited by Zeptari1

On 4/10/2021 at 2:47 AM, ratwell said:

Q: I have a replacement logic board which doesn't quite allow the monitor output jack to align with the opening in the case. I guess Atari changed this towards the end of the XL production run? Has anyone else run into this issue?

This is what I'm talking about:

800XL Monitor Jack Opening.jpg

Edited by ratwell

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ratwell said:

Got the same email overnight. That’s a lot of money for a scaler. And still no guarantee that it won’t choke on the screwy video timings of a 2600 (which the 2X-Pro can and does for some titles), or that an out-of-spec A8 or 5200 title won’t throw it for a loop with extra or fewer lines in the ANTIC Display List. I’ll hold onto my money for now. 

Compared to the RetroTink 2X-Pro, they added +145 USD for Scart and remote control, ouch. Now the price comes close to a Framemeister, which was simply too expensive for me.

Besides, which RetroTink gives good/best results for the A8 (PAL or NTSC), the 2X Mini, the 2X Classic or the 2X Pro ?!?  Or are they all good/very good for the A8 via composite/S-Video ?

21 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Besides, which RetroTink gives good/best results for the A8 (PAL or NTSC), the 2X Mini, the 2X Classic or the 2X Pro ?!?  Or are they all good/very good for the A8 via composite/S-Video ?

I have a 2X-Pro and it’s very good for an A8 via S-video or composite from my UAV-equipped machines. 

2 hours ago, mytek said:

Has anyone given the RetroTink 2X mini a try with our Atari systems?

I bought one on recommendation from AtariAge members and it has worked great.

No audio passes through unless there is a video signal is the only shortcoming I’ve noticed so far.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Now the price comes close to a Framemeister

Well, then or now. I picked my Framemeister up for the same price as this new Retrotink, but now they cost $500-$1000 due to it not being made any more and demand still there. Given that their pricing is maybe not too crazy.

I like Retrotink products, I have a couple for different rooms, but some of their claims on here about "first scalar doing X" features - well, I guess they're not counting the Framemeister since it isn't available any more, because it has about all of these features.

1 hour ago, ratwell said:

I bought one on recommendation from AtariAge members and it has worked great.

No audio passes through unless there is a video signal is the only shortcoming I’ve noticed so far.

Not good when playing sounds, samples, etc. with Poke 559,0 / screen off...  :-(

What about the 2X Pro - does it have audio passthru even when there is no video signal?

1 hour ago, ratwell said:

I'm trying to think of when this might be an issue. When would be a time that you had no video signal but wanted audio, or would even have audio, at least in relation to an Atari?

18 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I'm trying to think of when this might be an issue. When would be a time that you had no video signal but wanted audio, or would even have audio, at least in relation to an Atari?

Look up

1 hour ago, CharlieChaplin said:

What about the 2X Pro - does it have audio passthru even when there is no video signal?

I doubt it. The 2X-Pro is a simple (albeit nice) line-doubler and HDMI converter. If there is no signal to double, it will have no signal to pass through as HDMI. 

7 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Got the same email overnight. That’s a lot of money for a scaler. And still no guarantee that it won’t choke on the screwy video timings of a 2600 (which the 2X-Pro can and does for some titles), or that an out-of-spec A8 or 5200 title won’t throw it for a loop with extra or fewer lines in the ANTIC Display List. I’ll hold onto my money for now. 

Hey @DrVenkman. How well does your hdmi converter function with Battlezone 2600?  I had the chance to get a retrotink classic clone for $35 and took it. It is great, except for that game... 

40 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

OK, I guess I'm having a dense moment. I'm coming up blank.

Sorry - it was in the post directly above your question.

The reason would be, many older demos that did sample playback, have to disable ANTIC screen DMA (in BASIC, this would be POKE 559,0).  I believe the Software Automated Mouth program also blanks the screen when "talking" to avoid glitches in the voice.

Oh! gotcha...

Still, the computer was on, and you were playing samples or something with the screen off, but the computer on, it's still putting out a signal, right, even if the screen is black?

I guess if it completely disables ANTIC though...

Edited by bfollowell

50 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Oh! gotcha...

Still, the computer was on, and you were playing samples or something with the screen off, but the computer on, it's still putting out a signal, right, even if the screen is black?

I guess if it completely disables ANTIC though...

Interesting question - not that I think about it, I guess the machine is still outputing video with sync pulses, just a black screen.  I saw this because when I pull a video cable out of my PVM, it will say "No sync" but turning off the screen DMA does not cause that, nor does the screen roll.  So yeah - my guess is that the device would still let audio pass.

1 hour ago, manterola said:

Hey @DrVenkman. How well does your hdmi converter function with Battlezone 2600?  I had the chance to get a retrotink classic clone for $35 and took it. It is great, except for that game... 

Terrible. :) I've posted about it somewhere around here in one of the forums. I've also had problems with Activision Starmaster which flat doesn't work, and with Parker Bros. The Empire Strikes Back, which works but destroying a walker makes the screen go nutty for a second.