IGNORED

The best video to HDMI converter

ratwell

On 4/30/2021 at 8:07 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

Compared to the RetroTink 2X-Pro, they added +145 USD for Scart and remote control, ouch. Now the price comes close to a Framemeister, which was simply too expensive for me.

Besides, which RetroTink gives good/best results for the A8 (PAL or NTSC), the 2X Mini, the 2X Classic or the 2X Pro ?!?  Or are they all good/very good for the A8 via composite/S-Video ?

Well it's a completely different machine, one is a line doubler and the other is a proper scaler

5 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

Well it's a completely different machine, one is a line doubler and the other is a proper scaler

Right. But at the same time, I’m not interested in dropping nearly $300 for a proper scaler until and unless someone buys one and confirm it works with all the screwy video timings of 2600 games like Starmaster, Battlezone, Empire Strikes Back, etc. If it can handle all those, I can talk myself into dropping coin for it if only to future-proof myself against eventual CRT failure. But until then, I just can’t do it. 

Edited by DrVenkman
typos
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Right. But at the same time, I’m not interested in dropping nearly $300 for a proper scaler until and unless someone buys one and confirm it works with all the screwy video timings of 2600 games like Starmaster, Battlezone, Empire Strikes Back, etc. If it can handle all those, I can talk myself into dropping cod]in for it if only to future-proof myself against eventual CRT failure. But until then, I just can’t do it. 

Oh I totally agree, my 2xpro was a little more than I wanted to pay in the first place so it will have to do the job and anything it can't work with I'll find other solutions. Luckily I have a couple really nice PVM that have barely any use on them that should keep me in CRTs for the foreseable future. 

On 5/1/2021 at 10:02 AM, DrVenkman said:

unless someone buys one and confirm it works with all the screwy video timings of 2600 games like Starmaster, Battlezone, Empire Strikes Back, etc.

Is there a full list of games with odd video timings? I just got my 5X-Pro today. I imagine I will run it through a gauntlet of consoles this evening. I can try a few things out.

I have Empire and Battlezone. No Starmaster, though.

5 minutes ago, ckrtech said:

Is there a full list of games with odd video timings? I just got my 5X-Pro today. I imagine I will run it through a gauntlet of consoles this evening. I can try a few things out.

I have Empire and Battlezone. No Starmaster, though.

I don't have a definitive list off the top of my head. Basically just start going through a stack of carts and see what you see, I guess. I never bothered documenting every cart I have - it's about 130 unique 2600 titles plus basically everything on my Harmony Cart. I kept thinking that I ought to do it someday but never did. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ratwell said:

I find some photos at Best’s website showing how the factory alignment is supposed to look like across models:

https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/images/Atari CV E2 cable.htm

6171E190-25E5-4E38-9A66-DB2AB94BD814.jpeg

It really looks like your board is sitting up way too high in the bottom case.

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

It really looks like your board is sitting up way too high in the bottom case.

It was and after a little trimming of the case here and there it’s now fitting properly.

The trouble areas were the four corners where the PCB was not clearing the holes that secure the case halves:

08D00692-46E8-48BC-9D83-E2D3D6FE62CB.jpeg

2C1B5586-C980-48E8-8846-3F5CA1406084.jpeg

Edited by ratwell