IGNORED

Donkey.bas for Intellivision.

CrazyBoss

Hi there.

I spend a day or so to code this game. The Donkey is almost pixel-perfect to the original dos game. I found the source and used mspaint to zoom in the pixels so I could draw the sprites in a Sprite Editor. The Donkey Is made up of 3 sprites (8x16 sprites). The Car is made of 2 sprites, x-fliped.

Donkey.Bas - an Intellivsion version of the old DOS basic game made by Bill Gates & Neil Konzen.

The Intellivision version is coded in IntyBasic, and was programmed by CrazyBoss 7th-8th feb. 2021 almost 40 years after Bill & Neils DOS Basic version. The goal of the game is to avoid the Donkey, by pressing any key or disc position at the controller. You can press CLEAR at the controller to reset the game - When you pass a DONKEY, your car moves closer to the top, when you past 10 Donkeys, you will earn a point and the game starts over again. If you crash into a Donkey the Donkey (or maybe another Donkey) will earn a point. The Intellivision rom file is around 7kb - I dont think you will ever see a cartrigde release of this version.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cool!  Nice little ditty playing homage to a classic. ?

If I may make a suggestion:  maybe make the car move a bit more smoothly from side to side?  Jumping that many pixels in one go is a little weird, it's a big gap!

-dZ.

42 minutes ago, CrazyBoss said:

Yes sure, but I wanted to be "true to the original" :) so actually i wanted to make it as close to the original as possible, not really a "polished" game :) 

Sure, I understand.  I just thought that the donkey explosion at the end was a bit too fancy, so perhaps you could get fancy with the other part.  I didn't know that the explosion was also there in the original.

-dZ.

1 hour ago, DZ-Jay said:

Sure, I understand.  I just thought that the donkey explosion at the end was a bit too fancy, so perhaps you could get fancy with the other part.  I didn't know that the explosion was also there in the original.

-dZ.

Haha! I just saw a video of the original, and the car explosion is there as well. :)

Great job, it does look like the original version.  Now you need to simulate the old PC DOS fonts. ;)

-dZ.

2 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

Haha! I just saw a video of the original, and the car explosion is there as well. :)

Great job, it does look like the original version.  Now you need to simulate the old PC DOS fonts. ;)

-dZ.

PC fonts might not be so easy :) - I the original game in archive.org browser, but the pc version didn have a "explosion", but i think some random sounds when the Donkey is hit. But the Donkey and the Car fall apart. I took and modified it a bit, so basicly I took the explosion sound from SuperMinefield, and changed it a bit :)

Just now, CrazyBoss said:

PC fonts might not be so easy :) - I the original game in archive.org browser, but the pc version didn have a "explosion", but i think some random sounds when the Donkey is hit. But the Donkey and the Car fall apart. I took and modified it a bit, so basicly I took the explosion sound from SuperMinefield, and changed it a bit :)

By "explosion" I meant the car and donkey breaking up and flying outwards.  It's a cool effect, and I didn't know it was in the original, but it was.

1 hour ago, bikeguychicago said:

So Gorilla.BAS is next? :D

I like Gorilla.BAS! :)

-dZ.

59 minutes ago, CrazyBoss said:

PC fonts might not be so easy :)

Maybe so, but at least a close facsimile would go a long way into giving it the "retro" feel it deserves.

If you are interested, I could help you design some DOS-ish fonts ...

-dZ.

8 hours ago, CrazyBoss said:

Yes sure, but I wanted to be "true to the original" :) so actually i wanted to make it as close to the original as possible, not really a "polished" game :) 

I like honoring the source material, but it is also possible from the title screen, or a menu screen to select between the original port and a more polished version