IGNORED

Gotek as DSK1 Question

Timkorbs

I am a newbie to this stuff. I bought a Gotek that I have working as DSK2 supplementing my DSK1 floppy drive. My floppy wont write, so I want to nix that and just use my Gotek as my drive. I removed the cable from the floppy drive and connected the Gotek cable directly to the disk controller. It wasn't working and then I found some information about supposedly setting the jumper in the Gotek, so I moved that up to the supposed DSK0 slot. it still doesn't work. i barely know what I'm doing. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Timkorbs said:

I am a newbie to this stuff. I bought a Gotek that I have working as DSK2 supplementing my DSK1 floppy drive. My floppy wont write, so I want to nix that and just use my Gotek as my drive. I removed the cable from the floppy drive and connected the Gotek cable directly to the disk controller. It wasn't working and then I found some information about supposedly setting the jumper in the Gotek, so I moved that up to the supposed DSK0 slot. it still doesn't work. i barely know what I'm doing. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

Yes. Look carefully at those jumpers, mine are not in order at all, mine go from something to dsk1,2,0 and something.. but try dsk1 try using the non split end of cable too 

1 hour ago, Timkorbs said:

see photo..

This is how mine is setup for DSK1.  DS0 needs to be connected, the J5 is actually not connected.  I'm assuming you are using the 'FlashFloppy' firmware ?  If using the FlashFloppy you need to make sure your FF.CFG file (text file) is in the root of the USB drive and has the below line at the top:

host = ti99

gotekDSK1.thumb.jpg.518418172bcd18ab368092c8c1e7210f.jpg

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exactly.

Btw, what is wifi gbscontrol?

And why did the OS 6.5 work after you emailed it to me,? But when I downloaded it from whtech but it didn't.

I'm trying again with no luck with QDE being copied to gotek,  and it's also not recognized by Geneve.

It's a dsk file. Something that gotek likes because all my gotek files end with.dsk lowercase.

Edited by GDMike

I haven't tried that, but what I did was.

On the laptop, classic 99, map dsk7 to location+QDE.dsk

On laptop, classic 99, map dsk8 to

GOTEK USB stick, DSK045.

Using classic 99, started DM2K

Directory of dsk7. Like 13 files showed

Directory of dsk8, empty

I selected all files on dsk7 pressed fctn6, copy to dsk8, error...

So that doesn't work..

I did use TDIR to copy the file to the usb stick from the laptop, it copied ok, but Geneve didn't like the file, with error..as I tried dir.

13 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

With TIDIR, look at the file on your DSK image and confirm it shows up as a TIFILES format file, not a file under a different format.

8 hours ago, GDMike said:

I haven't tried that, but what I did was.

On the laptop, classic 99, map dsk7 to location+QDE.dsk

On laptop, classic 99, map dsk8 to

GOTEK USB stick, DSK045.

Using classic 99, started DM2K

Directory of dsk7. Like 13 files showed

Directory of dsk8, empty

I selected all files on dsk7 pressed fctn6, copy to dsk8, error...

So that doesn't work..

I did use TDIR to copy the file to the usb stick from the laptop, it copied ok, but Geneve didn't like the file, with error..as I tried dir.

With TIDIR, look at the file on your DSK image and confirm it shows up as a TIFILES format file, not a file under a different format.

• Like 1

That's with Classic 99.  I'm not sure if Classic 99 supports double density, so that "may" be the issue on that end of things.  I'm guessing it does since it appears to be reading the disk, but need to confirm.  

Do you have any images your Gotek drive uses that is recognized on the Geneve?  I think that is your intent.  

And, just to make sure you are aware, QDE in that last image is a MDOS file that would be executed directly from the MDOS prompt at whatever drive letter the DSK image is residing.

Before copying files, see you can view any of the DIS/VAR 80 files on that disk (input disk).  Not sure if it is the letter T or V to display the file.  Then, do a directory on the output disk by itself and see if you get errors.  Trying to isolate what is and is not working here.

Beery

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

Before copying files, see you can view any of the DIS/VAR 80 files on that disk (input disk).  Not sure if it is the letter T or V to display the file.  Then, do a directory on the output disk by itself and see if you get errors.  Trying to isolate what is and is not working here.

In TDIR I can view the files..

But when I placed ANY of the files I downloaded from WHTECH and move to my gotek, Geneve can't read the disk.

I can move other files though. That's how I got the new boot MDOS disk. Chris emailed it and I just put it on the gotek and it worked just fine.

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

In TDIR I can view the files..

But when I placed ANY of the files I downloaded from WHTECH and move to my gotek, Geneve can't read the disk.

I can move other files though. That's how I got the new boot MDOS disk. Chris emailed it and I just put it on the gotek and it worked just fine.

Just a thought and may be on the wrong track, but are the disk images in pc99 format or v9t9 format. Could be a compatability issue?

• Like 1

OK, be careful with the editor.  Use the LL for LoadL and SL for SaveL option when dealing with DIS/VAR 80 files.

If I recall correctly, the option SA (SAve) and LO (LOad) behave a bit differently and there was some kind of behavior difference if you used the SA and LO options with MyWord or with TI-Writer/FWEB.

Beery

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

OK, be careful with the editor.  Use the LL for LoadL and SL for SaveL option when dealing with DIS/VAR 80 files.

If I recall correctly, the option SA (SAve) and LO (LOad) behave a bit differently and there was some kind of behavior difference if you used the SA and LO options with MyWord or with TI-Writer/FWEB.

Beery

Thank you. I just went and created an autoexec and saved it using SA then loading it again, And making a change and Saving again. That seemed to work.

I'm having to learn all over again...I'm still trying to get an EA session going through EA and loading my ti-99 source files to edit.. but in GPL it's asking for files..I don't have any.. 

Oh, never mind...I found em

Edited by GDMike

32 minutes ago, GDMike said:

One thing I was surprised about, I did a copy from "A" drive and I want to copy all the files and put them on my floppy drive from gotek(A) , to my floppy, which is B Drive. And the system copied it in one pass. I'm so used to the ti copying it in increments. That's nice

The COPY * B:\ (or other device letter) command will copy as many files into available free memory before it starts writing those files out to the secondary device.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loaded GPL. It's asking, what drive is the cartridge disk..I'm wanting the editor assembler... but anyway, is it a special dsk file for programs in this GPL environment, of course the dsk for EA isn't a .bin.

I've just spent the day going through and noting The MDOS manual. From what I gather it's , well, the doc I have, is just a reference to MDOS commands. If there's any mention of GPL, it's limited. I found a small section describing color changes for the screen. Which I found neat.

A small section describes FORMAT, and is limited also in explanation.

But I finally figured out how to format my floppy drive. Using/2 /9 /30. I have no idea what 9 is. But it works.

I'm still stumped on using GPL.

Maybe there's a manual..I'll be looking..

BTW, I now have EXEC but I'm not sure that I even needed it to run the editor., as that Editor, called EDITOR, ran just fine out of the box..

Maybe I need it for GPL though.

Edited by GDMike

28 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I loaded GPL. It's asking, what drive is the cartridge disk..I'm wanting the editor assembler... but anyway, is it a special dsk file for programs in this GPL environment, of course the dsk for EA isn't a .bin.

I've just spent the day going through and noting The MDOS manual. From what I gather it's , well, the doc I have, is just a reference to MDOS commands. If there's any mention of GPL, it's limited. I found a small section describing color changes for the screen. Which I found neat.

A small section describes FORMAT, and is limited also in explanation.

But I finally figured out how to format my floppy drive. Using/2 /9 /30. I have no idea what 9 is. But it works.

I'm still stumped on using GPL.

Maybe there's a manual..I'll be looking..

The /2 should be 2 sides, the /9 should be sectors per track (ti controller (others can be higher)), should be /40,numbers of tracks per side.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I tried 40 and all hell broke loose, the drive went into all kinds of noises... so I dropped it. It reports now 360 sectors. I think that's correct. I'm DBL side single density.

360 sectors is single sided single density @ 40 track.

720 sectors is Double Sided Single Density @ 40 or could be Single sided double density @ 40 (TI controller will not do double density).

1440 is DS/DD @ 40 track or DS/SD @ 80 track with the TIFDC MOD

2880 is DS/DD @ 80 track

then of course if you have a HFDC on a Geneve you can get 1.44mb!

• Thanks 1