IGNORED

Gotek as DSK1 Question

Timkorbs

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

Unless you have a TI disk controller, I'd always recommend to go for double density (/18 instead of /9). Better than 80 tracks with single density, double density means (almost) double speed.

Yup..ti controller. But not so much that, but the Dr itself can't do double density, but it can do double sided.

I've got a modded ti controller, with 40,80,80, I need to change the drive.

But I was hoping to access tipi and not so much worry about the fl drive.

Ok, next question, how do get into ROMPAGE and access my tipi drive?

Edited by GDMike

At the GPL Interpreter, press F5 for Rompage mode.  If you are using GPL V6.50, it is on the screen.  

If you need to load the Editor/Assembler or say the Extended Basic module for whatever you want to do/access on the TIPI, do the following when GPL loads.

First, at the GPL screen, type the DSK1.FILENAME of the module file you want to load.  I just posted in another topic area, MODULES.ZIP that contain all the modules I have.

OK, after the module is loaded, it will proceed to the next screen.  So, you are not ready at this point to access in Rompage mode the TIPI.  You need to press CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT to return back to the GPL Interpreter, and press F5 to select Rompage mode.  This will return you either to the TI Title Bar Screen or either a 40/80 column screen dependent if someone has some modified GPL grom files.

While in Rompage mode, you can then load things from TIPI.  With a TI disk controller, I am not certain you can copy things from the TIPI to a FDC controlled Gotek.  You might, but not 100% sure.

Beery

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GDMike said:

Yup..ti controller. But not so much that, but the Dr itself can't do double density, but it can do double sided.

Oh, is that so? I don't know of drives that do not support double density; is that explicitly stated in the specs? The actually hardware-dependent features are 80 track (narrower tracks) and high density (different magnetic head). DD is just another encoding with smaller cells. As if you switched from Country Waltz to Metal.

As for the TI controller, I'm still surprised how common it is still today. Before that topic came up some years ago, I honestly thought the TI controller was almost gone, hence, in my TIImageTool I set double density as the default. I switched to DD in the late 80es, I don't remember if I even waited for my original TI controller to fail before I got a new controller. We had quite a selection to choose from: Myarc HFDC, DDCC-1, CorComp, Atronic, BwG come to my mind.

But it's probably too late to spend so many thoughts about floppies. ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

and press F5 to select Rompage mode.

Ok. Did that, and If I hit F5 and my ea menu shows up, pressing 1 for edit will not load dsk1.edit1. but if I do not press F5 and press enter instead, my option 1 for EA loads.i tried clearing rom space, turning emulation for dsk1 off and on...

Continuing to see if I can see TIpi

Ty

I'm not sure on the TI-99/4A, but on the Geneve when you want to catalog and copy files, it is best to address it as device DSK0, not TIPI.

At present, unless things change, for a Geneve with a TIPI, the TIPI's CRU will need to be at >1800.  Just giving you a head's up as I see your TIPI CRU is at >1000 (the default when shipped). With the PFM's that are out there that allow loading MDOS onto the PFM, not the entire MDOS will fit on the smaller size PFM.  Both SCSI, TIPI, and I think IDE code is loaded separately once MDOS boots if you boot from a PFM.  Users without PFM's will be able to boot without issue as always.

Beery