IGNORED

Look: Super Pac-Man

KAZ

Click on the link below.

This is the Super Pac-Man eprom burned copy of the prototype. This guy (Voltman3) did an awesome job on the homemade label!

On the Atari 5200 4 port the locked doors and power pellets don't display (they exist, but aren't visible) for some reason, but on the Atari 5200 2 port this game apparently has these visible.

Has anyone else had this issue with this prototype, or copy of a prototype?

Thanks!

Super Pacman

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]

Charlie ("Voltman") burned me a copy of the same Super Pac-Man game a few months ago. I play it on my 2 port and I've never noticed the power pellets and doors not being visible.

It's a great game, pretty much complete from what I can tell. Strange that some graphics don't show on a 4-port!

Charles told me how to open up the Atari 5200, and to adjust the color pot.

I was having issues with putting super pacman in when the cover was not on, so I tried a game like Pitfall! for the 5200, that has an open bottom. The color pot did indeed change the color of the game....

I tried two other positions that were completely different on the pot, and took my time to try each one by putting the lid back on.

Even at the extremes, the doors are still invisible, and pellets too. Also the fruit that you eat is missing the top part of their graphics.

I tried adjusting my TV color also, but was unsuccessful.

I am starting to truly believe it doesn't work on 4 port Atari 5200's. It would be nice to hear from others on the subject.

When I first opened it up, the top lid came detached....and when I put all the screws back in, and then went to reattach the lid, I noticed I couldn't. So I had to remove all the screws again, and put the lid on FIRST. What a hassle :P

Ironic that I tried Pitfall! as the test game, since the 4 port is the only system that supports this game

I have a Super Pac-Man prototype and I've never noticed a problem playing it on my 4 port. Of course mine is a later version (3-15-84) so maybe they fixed the bug? I swear I can't find any differences between my version and the one that's been dumped (1-??-84). My best guess is it's all bug fixes.

Tempest

I had it dumped, but I'm not sure it dumped correctly since it doesn't want to work with the emulator (it crashes on the title screen). The only reason I know it's a different version is that I saw the one that is on the multicart and it was like 1-27-84. I think Sean already has my copy of Super Pac-Man since he's the one that dumped it. I doubt mine would work on the multi-cart, but it's worth a try.

Tempest

It's bad enough that Bounty Bob doesn't work on the Multi-cart but it's a real shame Super Pac-Man doesn't. I hope Sean can eventually figure it out. It really is a great game. I think it's the best maze game on 5200 easily. I can play it on the emulator and could bye it for the computers but it's just not as fun as playing it on the 5200. By the way, I love the Multi-cart. It really is worth $125. I would love a Multi-cart for the 7800. Since there are less games for the 7800 than the 5200. It shouldn't be hard to do.

Allan

Ok, if this helps anyone "diagnose" this problem Super Pac-Man apparently has with some models of Atari 5200's...here it is:

On the back on my console reads something like this:

223 0250869

Ok, I think this is the older of the 4 port models. It does not have a * which I think I've read means that it would be a later 4 port model.

Also, it may be true that someone removed a "shield" from the inside of my system, as I did not have to remove anything besides the cover to get at the "color pot".

I'm 100% it is not the cartridge's fault, but rather the model of Atari I'm attempting to play it on. It works on 2 ports, that is certain. It may also work on the later 4 port models.

I still think it is silly that they had a 4 port but only like one game (super breakout) that actually used 4 controls. And then when they changed it to 2 ports, they didn't make sure it worked with all games. Silly Atari, but I still luv em.

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]

The weird thing is, that Sean tried it on the multi-Cart and it failed, but when he burned it onto a regular cart it worked (on the same console). All I can guess is that whatever bankswitching or extra code that the multicart uses doesn't play well with Super Pac-Man which we all know is a bit touchy.

Tempest

>Ok, I think this is the older of the 4 port models. It does not have a * which I think I've read means that it would be a later 4 port model.

If it is made in America and is shiny black plastic, thats the older 4 port. Leter models were made in Taiwan and are more brownish with a pebbled type finish.

>Also, it may be true that someone removed a "shield" from the inside of my system, as I did not have to remove anything besides the cover to get at the "color pot".

I dont think you need to remove the shield to get to the color pot, but there should be a large metal shield covering most of the board, it goes around the cart slot for sure.

>And then when they changed it to 2 ports, they didn't make sure it worked with all games.

True, but the games that didnt work were not Atari games. The newer bios in most 2 ports checks for PAL/NTSC before starting. This was the problem those games had with the 2 ports.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Super Pac-man today. I've only played about 1/2 hours worth of it, but I must say it is one of, if not THE, best 5200 games I've played.

@KAZ: I played it on my original black shiny american made 4 port and all the graphics displayed just fine. Remember, my 4 port has been modified to use the VCS adaptor. I did have one problem. Every now and then I would loose joystick control. If I hit reset and started a new game, it was back. Very wierd.

Ive been playing about 15 mins now on my 2 port and again all the graphics are there. So far the 2 port has had no controller problems like I experirnced on the 4 port. Also, my 2 port uses a 4 port bios for 100% games compatibility.

I did clean the cart contacts with alcohol and a Q-tip before I tried it in my 2 port. I know these carts are made from old carts and need to be cleaned. Great example was my Sean Kelly Multicart. The thing only worked 1/2 the time in my 4 port until I took the alcohol/Q-tip to it. Now it works 100% of the time.

And YES the label is great, but mine is different than the one you have linked in your message at top.

This is a great game, and Voltman3 did an awesome job. You can find a link to his page here on atariage in the links section.

Charlie

Excellent, thanks for telling me about your success with Super Pacman.

I nearly was able to test out my Super Pacman at The Midwest Classic in Milwaukee, but they didn't have the right hookups for the two port that the Goatstore allowed me to use at the museum area.

They did have a working 4 port there, but I actually didn't try it on theirs.

I'm not too worried....I'll get a two port soon enough.

I'd get it now, but alas, I have no money :(

No Problem, Sounds like you have a bad 4 port is all. Ive had a few bad ones, but believe it or not, the bug chips from a couple bad ones, I used to replace the ones in my 2 port because it was acting funny. Now its a perfectly working 2 port :-p

BTW, I think the control problem I had with my 4 port and super pac-man was just a dirty cart. After cleaning it with the alcohol/Q-tip, I've been playing it all morning with no troubles.

Charlie

My Super Pac-Man arrived today. It works great on my 4 port 5200 system. I don't have a 2 port to compare it to. The graphics all appear. I only noticed a couple of problems with the game. The one was that at times I would just die for no reason. I guess that there is a bug in the game since it is not a finished version. A couple of times extra graphics appeared at the top of the screen that should not have been there. I would still say that it is a great game and that Voltman did a great job on the label.

Try to clean the cart contacts with alcohol and a q-tip. My Super pacman acted a little wierd too until I cleaned the cart. Remember he does make these from very old carts. After I cleaned it, it is a perfect game on both my 4 and 2 port systems.

Yes the Label is excellent :-)

Charlie