IGNORED

Excel Magazine PDF files - Free to download

Bob The Bug

38 minutes ago, Bob The Bug said:

Improving all the time, thanks, Paul!

Things are looking up for a change - well, as up as they can be what with the lockdown and restrictions.

Glad to hear it Bob I know things were a tad hard but glad it's on the up and up...

Tough times indeed, -17 up where you are, that and COVID are making it all very tough..

You take care, wonderful gift from you to the community...

Paul..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, mimo said:

Didn't know about these until just now. Great quality , I hope number 6 is released at some point.

18 hours ago, fandenivoldsk said:

@Bob The Bug Is #6 still a possibility? Loved the first 5 issues.

@Bob The Bug I second both these - have the first 5, love to see number 6!

sTeVE

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 2:14 PM, Bob The Bug said:

Hi Atari 8-bitters

Just a small update - Excel #6 will definitely be out soon - probably next month. 

Meanwhile, the first 5 issues are now free to download from the website...

www.excel-retro-mag.co.uk

Robert 

Thanks for these will stick them on my Ipad and have a read later didn't even know about them exisitng 

Will have to buy latest issue too to support your hard work

Thanks again

Now this is interesting. Looking at WIP games in the 2nd issue of this mag back in 2016 it mentioned another port of the Game Barbarian, as well as a port of Beavis and Butthead. 

I had a quick look on AA for both given several years have passed. Whilst it seems Beavis and Butthead was never finished I can't find anything about the Barbarian game.

I am aware of the 1990s Atari 8-bit version of Barbarian with the monochrome graphics, which is not what I am talking about.

Instead I was hoping to get some more info about the version detailed in the magazine with these particular graphics:

image.thumb.png.f0950951e0d938bbb85476bd01037045.png

Anyone know any more or have a link to a demo? Miker is cited as being involved in the music for it ( @miker :music:)

The same issue also mentioned under a coming soon section the following ports of 3D C64 games Darkside, Driller and Castle master which I'd love to know more about and whether, (I as suspect) they were sadly abandoned:

image.thumb.png.c1b67adeca8aaa9cf3d95ffa18285228.png

I had a quick look on AA for the above £d titles and whilst there is mention in passing of the titles I cannot see any evidence they were ever started/worked on. BTW I know Total Eclipse was ported.

thanks in advance for any info on any of these :thumbsup:

Dan

Edited by Beeblebrox

@Mclaneinc  Thanks for the Barbarian demo upload.:thumbsup: Real pity re the 3D games. :( Ce la vie.

Damn those are nice colours  - I love the forest backdrop. I also love the snake animations that kick in either side of the screen from time to time.  Do you know anything more about whether this new version just got canned?

So just for reference here is the 1993 commercial release of the Atari 8-bit Barbarian port ....

image.png.374b24a3e66fd7ea4914ae8eb40514c2.png   image.thumb.png.4a0f89a34f17abfe2b22f35799af0deb.png

and here is the newer post 2k demo, (screenshot taken from Altirra just now):

image.thumb.png.e3da318a3b607473ab8f69e975a8638e.png   image.thumb.png.3af71ecb24c1cb0e9949a48c38f2ac17.png

Not knocking the full 90's version we have (or it's coders).... but such a pity that it was never pushed in the colour department at the time. This demo clearly shows it was possible.

Incidentally the above visuals in a point and click adventure game would be amazing.

Edited by Beeblebrox

2 minutes ago, Vyvyan B. said:

Cool, how about some ATRs? Looks like Bob hasn't been round' for quite some time. Hope all is OK.

Aren't they available on line already? If not then I will have to drag out the old 1050 and see if it still works.

Looks like Bob was on here in early August, we're not all nutters that have to visit 20 times a day 😁