IGNORED

U1M Question for flashjazzcat/candle

TGB1718

@flashjazzcat , @candle does U1M use addresses  $D100 through $D107 ?

The reason I ask is I built a Centronics/RS232 interface that plugs into the Cartridge/ECI interface and

am close to being able to plug it in and give it a try, the software uses those addresses for control signals to/from the interface module.

1 hour ago, ivop said:

Looks like U1MB RAM can live there. Do you know if the Centronics interface in question acts like a proper PBI/ECI device?

Sorry, what do you mean ? 

I designed and built the device, it uses those few addresses to either latch data into registers to send via RS232 or to a Parallel

port printer and to handshake with the peripheral. The RS232 can also receive serial data and pass it to the 130XE via the data bus

lines, again using those addresses to handshake.

This is the circuit, it's not complete or fully accurate at the moment, Rats ate the original when I left the documents in

a garage years ago, I sort of reverse engineered the circuit board, not quite there yet, but good enough to give you an idea

of what it is

130XE Printer-RS232.png

Edited by TGB1718
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Sorry, what do you mean ? 

I designed and built the device, it uses those few addresses to either latch data into registers to send via RS232 or to a Parallel

port printer and to handshake with the peripheral. The RS232 can also receive serial data and pass it to the 130XE via the data bus

lines, again using those addresses to handshake.

Oh, it's your own design! Didn't know that :)  If I'm not mistaken, it is constantly on the bus in that memory area. That's not a "proper" PBI device, in the sense that it should only be enabled if it is selected through the PBI device select latch at $D1FF. I think this will be a problem in combination with U1MB. So, good that you asked ;) Wouldn't want to either fry your U1MB or your own circuitry ?

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

@candle thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

btw. I built this way back when :) don't think PBI devices existed then ?

If I was doing this today, it would be far simpler, maybe use an Arduino type device.

I've been really hoping someone would build a breakout board for the PBI/ECI, something that could be easily interfaced with from the digital IO pins on an arduino or similar. We could probably do some cool stuff, and probably much faster than going over SIO.

Edited by danwinslow