IGNORED

current source for replacement potentiometers for 2600 paddles, joystick fire buttons?

madscijr

I know the Atari paddles are 1M Ohm, linear taper, but searching on mouser, jameco and digikey brings up a ton of choices. 

Has anyone replaced these in their paddles recently that could recommend an exact part number or the mm size, or other specs that I should be looking for & could filter on? 

Also, I need a good fire button switch, the standard red classic arcade joystick button, has anyone found any good quality ones at a good price? 

Any recommendations welcome. 

15 hours ago, madscijr said:

I know the Atari paddles are 1M Ohm, linear taper, but searching on mouser, jameco and digikey brings up a ton of choices. 

If you have paddles and no specific replacement part is suggested then take them apart and measure the body size and shaft mounting hole diameter. As far as I know they use fairly standard pots so body will be about 12mm dimeter by 5 mm and have a 6.25mm (1/4") diameter threaded mount. Type is panel mount as opposed to through hole (PCB) or surface mount (SMT), you already appear to know the required resistance and track type.

Power requirement will be low as 5V @ 1MOhm = 25uW, at 1Mohm resistance anything that physically fits should have a high enough power rating.

If no specific replacement switch suggested, finding one that fits exactly in place of the old one may be more difficult, but the type will be a single pole single throw (SPST) momentary (non latching). Again you can take the general body size of the original as a guide to make sure it will fit inside the controller but the length and diameter of the actuator will be fairly critical, too wide to fit in the cap and filing it down could be a pain, too thin, at least you may be able to wrap it in tape to bulk it out a little but it may be hard to get it the cap. Too long and you may be able to cut it to length, too short and it may never actuate.     

19 hours ago, madscijr said:

Also, I need a good fire button switch, the standard red classic arcade joystick button, has anyone found any good quality ones at a good price? 

Any recommendations welcome. 

maybe you should consider @Osgeld's "Replacement PCB" here:

https://osgeld.fwscart.com/

Edited by Al_Nafuur

If I'm not mistaken, there is no off the shelf potentiometer that can be bought that is a perfect drop in fit, I believe mostly due to the d-flatted shaft, and maybe only it's overall length.  Best Electronics has replacements that they had made up, and would be your best bet for a perfect drop in fit.  I'm not sure if they have anything for the the paddle's button switch or not.  

Thanks everyone for your replies. After more searching, I found one which seems to work pretty well, it has a "d" shaft whichis pretty long and is linear taper.  

Here is the part number and a link in case it helps anyone:

Philmore PC28 1 Meg Ohm Linear Taper Solder Lug Terminal Potentiometer, 24mm Body with 1/4" D Shaft.
https://marvac.com/products/philmore-pc28-1-meg-ohm-linear-taper-solder-lug-terminal-potentiometer-24mm-body-with-1-4-d-shaft

3 hours ago, madscijr said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. After more searching, I found one which seems to work pretty well, it has a "d" shaft whichis pretty long and is linear taper.  

Here is the part number and a link in case it helps anyone:

Philmore PC28 1 Meg Ohm Linear Taper Solder Lug Terminal Potentiometer, 24mm Body with 1/4" D Shaft.
https://marvac.com/products/philmore-pc28-1-meg-ohm-linear-taper-solder-lug-terminal-potentiometer-24mm-body-with-1-4-d-shaft

Good find, if it works well please let folks know.