IGNORED

PlusCart(+) + SD

Andrew Davie

7 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

because your board is not a PlusCart board (anymore) it is a hybrid board that can be used for building PlusCarts, UnoCarts and any combination of hard and software that can be build with the unified code (even the not supported ones can be build and run on the hardware):

BTW should I add the eagle files to the git repository?  And the shell too?

31 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

BTW should I add the eagle files to the git repository?  And the shell too?

They should be at least in the reunion branch..

?

..UnoCart shell and DIY breakout boards for UnoCarts in a repository named "Atari 2600 PlusCart", we definitely have a naming problem here. And I don't want to "hijack" @DirtyHairy's @electrotrains and @MacRorie's project.

?

I/We (The Brewing Academy) will probably offer some form of this for sale if it is okay with everyone concerned.  I plan on modifying it a little bit so the dev board is not needed, but initially, it just might be what is available.  There are other projects in the works as well that we will offer for sale.

-M

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

?

..UnoCart shell and DIY breakout boards for UnoCarts in a repository named "Atari 2600 PlusCart", we definitely have a naming problem here. And I don't want to "hijack" @DirtyHairy's @electrotrains and @MacRorie's project.

?

Now I don't know what to do, because that totally wasn't my intention.

11 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

I/We (The Brewing Academy) will probably offer some form of this for sale if it is okay with everyone concerned.  I plan on modifying it a little bit so the dev board is not needed, but initially, it just might be what is available.  There are other projects in the works as well that we will offer for sale.

-M

I am totally OK with the PCB design being used, as it is derived from GPL-licensed work so it too is GPL'd, as far as I'm concerned. The cart shell is under a CC license, and I don't particularly like others profiting off my own solo work where I get nothing. It makes me feel "taken advantage of", hence the license. I would be happy to discuss.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

I am totally OK with the PCB design being used, as it is derived from GPL-licensed work so it too is GPL'd, as far as I'm concerned. The cart shell is under a CC license, and I don't particularly like others profiting off my own solo work where I get nothing. It makes me feel "taken advantage of", hence the license. I would be happy to discuss.

I was only referring to the board, but if you want to license your shell design, we can certainly discuss it.  Always open to new possibilities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

?

?

This is a GPL project, so anyone can make and sell these, and nobody has the right to sell these exclusively, either.

There is nothing to "hijack" here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, batari said:

This is a GPL project, so anyone can make and sell these, and nobody has the right to sell these exclusively, either.

?

I wasn't talking about making and selling..

6 minutes ago, batari said:

There is nothing to "hijack" here.

I think every project owner wants to (and should) be involved when someone makes (major) changes and uses the original project name. According to the GPL and if the name is not a registered trademark this may not be necessary from a legal point of view, but it is part of good manners.

10 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

?

I wasn't talking about making and selling..

I think every project owner wants to (and should) be involved when someone makes (major) changes and uses the original project name. According to the GPL and if the name is not a registered trademark this may not be necessary from a legal point of view, but it is part of good manners.

It's nice to be informed, sure, though this is really a community project, isn't it? In that sense, nobody really owns anything and there really isn't anything to hijack.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MacRorie said:

I plan on modifying it a little bit so the dev board is not needed, but initially, it just might be what is available. 

@DablioGames has already build a production ready hybrid (SMD) PCB for UnoCart and PlusCart. He promised to release it as soon as it is "bug-free".

Edited by Al_Nafuur
  • Like 1

Here's another update to the shell STL files. This is the version WITH the SD slot.

I've reworked the pin holders so that the gap for pins matches the size of the pins. Before there was a bit of round cornering going on, and the gap was also adjusted based on pin size, which was not what it was supposed to do. Now the pinholder size is constant (and a bit squarer internally) so that there's more logic to choosing pin sizes. I include three sizes of pins, but you probably want to print "3.2" as that's a good fit for me.  Note that the pins are identified with the size across the top face, so easy to know what's what. Also the pins themselves don't adjust their width when the thickness changes. I fixed this some time ago but the change got lost due to poor version management here, so that has been sorted once again. Finally, I've tweaked the width of the "insert" into which the board itself clips. I've made the label itself ever so slightly shorter, as I was having trouble slotting it in - but this is untested here, so YMMV. 

I find that if I use the pins (i.e., the whole shebang), then when you push it together and insert one side "lip", you'll need to put the whole thing on the desk and give it a bit of a thump to get it all to snap together. It's now a solid fit and there's no way it's going to fall open once all clicked together.

Don't use pins from previous designs! 

An aside; my printer give vertical lines/ripples on the sides of things as they're printed. I just found out this is actually the stepper motors causing it, not (as I thought) the belt vibration.  It can be almost eliminated by printing walls very slowly. So, if you have the same issue then try setting your outline/shell speed to something low (say, 10mm/s). It makes a huge, huge difference for me.

PlusCart Shell 20210307.zip

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DablioGames said:

Will I implement the new changes on the board I designed and make the files available here?

Do you have a GitLab or GitHub account? You might publish it there in a new project.

I'll probably will setup a new project for the unified code base and the new DIY breakout board, you might also add your SMD board there via a pull request.  

21 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

I'm use to flashing an elf file, what is the bin for? Flashing from SD?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes the bin file is for flashing from SD, but you have to rename it to "firmware.bin" and put it to the root dir of the SD-Card.

13 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Same thing, as far as I know. I flashed the bin files until very recently.

Yes the bin file could be used to flash with the STM32CubeProgrammer too, but you have to set the "Start-Address" and I am not sure if it is possible to omit the eeprom area with the user settings

Yes the bin file is for flashing from SD, but you have to rename it to "firmware.bin" and put it to the root dir of the SD-Card.
I'll try that later so I don't have to fire up the programmer and see if that works.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk