IGNORED

PlusCart(+) + SD

Andrew Davie

4 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

I think the metal SD card slot might shield the WiFi antenna of the ESP8266 in that direction.

?

To test it you can use the "WiFi Manager Portal" to compare the signal strength with and without SD-Card board (especially when the SD board is between the router and the ESP8266).

Yes, this occurred to me, but there really aren't a lot of options as to placement and still giving access to the SD card from outside a shell.

After some testing it doesn't seem to cause a lot of interference. My router to my system is in the next room over. My issues seem to be the PlusCart doesn't like my password that my router uses. I had to set a channel to open with no password and now it connects the first time everytime. My other two carts give me a wifi retry then they work (with wifi password) and the SD would work hardly ever until I removed the password. I'll get signal strength between the two but I think the difference may be like 5-10%.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm getting some ROMS off the SD card fail with "ROM failed to download", but they do work from the Plus store.   I used the ROM images someone posted that mirrored the Plus Store...

Seems to be specific ones, other ROMs load fine.  

For instance:

Public ROMs>Classic Roms > NTSC > BY ALPHABET > A-G > Activision Decathalon.bin will work from SD card or Plus Store

but

Public ROMs>Classic Roms > NTSC > BY ALPHABET > A-G > Activision Decathalon [fixed].bin fails from the SD card (but the bin works in Stella) and works from the Plus Store

Several other titles are like this. 

Will keep testing and try to pin this down.  Has anyone had to put a pull up resistor on D0 with this board? I've seen that with the UNO cart on the 8bits

3 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Where does that limitation come from?

It is an very old limitation from the initial UnoCart code.
https://github.com/DirtyHairy/UnoCart-2600/blob/master/source/STM32firmware/Atari2600Cart/src/main.c#L348

I just renamed the struct from DIR_ENTRY to MENU_ENTRY and added some more properties. The PlusCart also only stores the first 32 chars of a filename, but the PlusStore API looks for the first file in the directory that starts with these 32 chars. The "new" SD-Card lib does not yet has this feature.

• 1 month later...

My new batch of STM boards don't seem to want to connect/register when I try to program them.

I have a vague recollection you did something different with some boards (longer button press)?  Hoping these are not duds.

Nevermind; user error. I forgot to short the pins on the dev board STM before programming.

Edited by Andrew Davie

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MarcoJ said:

I think this concept could be handy for supporting games with large resource libraries >64kb.

The PlusCart already supports bankswitching types up to 256 KiB and Supercharger ROMs with up to 256 loads (256 x 6 KiB = 1.5 MiB).

The STM32F407VGT6 has 196 KiB of RAM and 1 MiB of flash ROM (128 KiB reserved for the firmware and user settings) that can be used for the emulation or for offline ROM storage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

The PlusCart already supports bankswitching types up to 256 KiB and Supercharger ROMs with up to 256 loads (256 x 6 KiB = 1.5 MiB).

The STM32F407VGT6 has 196 KiB of RAM and 1 MiB of flash ROM (128 KiB reserved for the firmware and user settings) that can be used for the emulation or for offline ROM storage.

Wow, this is promising for what i'm working on. 

8 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

I'll wait for flashing till it's been tested some, don't want to mess with what's already working.

Someone has to make the start, dare to do so ?

You can choose:

"No risk, no fun!" or "No risk, no risk!"

• Haha 1

Mine flashed and seems to be working with the improvements too!

One of my 2600s seems to have a problem with it - it starts then gives some rolling and then loss of video.  Plays regular ROM carts fine - think the power supply is dipping based on the higher demand? (I'm sure it's the 2600 not the cart at fault - works on others)

Edited by cbelcher

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

On the Pluscart Duo with 2.1.0 firmware, it comes up with **WIFI Firmware update** which updates the cart to Pluscart(no SD support) 2.1.1

PlusCart-Duo_2.1.1.bin

PlusCart-Duo_2.1.1.elf

I don't have a PlusCart Duo, so untested.