IGNORED

A personal statement by tfhh - please read. Thanks.

tf_hh

Hi @all,

I think this thread went in some directions I don´t want, especially political discussions. It was NEVER my intention to blame USPS or other. I report the current situation, and why I please all to be patient and not to start things (Paypal complaints) which can harm me in the way, that my account may be closed or restricted. Not more, not less.

So I will please @Albert to close these thread now. Although some posts are not agreed by me, censorship is not the answer, so let´s close it and enough.

One last word to Deutsche Post / DHL shipments and the meaning of tracking, because there are some not correct assumptions. Normally there are no "secret" changes to the tracking ID needed. Germany and the USA postal services uses a digital interface and this is working fine. During "standard times" everything is visible on both sides in real-time. I´ve sent more then 400 parcels to the USA the last years and never anything to complain.

The current history on tracking is absolut standard. Before the worldwide pandemic happens, mostly only 1 or 2 days are gone between "Exit Germany" and "Enter USA", because all shipments, even the cheap one, are handled with premium service and will be shipped by air. Currently all low-price shipments are using - worldwide - a combined air and sea transport. So the pure transport time between Germany and the USA are raised up to 10-15 days.

Today the last scan of the shipment is done in the international exchange gateway, mostly Frankfurt/Main. Here the single parcels are scanned the last time on Germany´s area, will be put in big boxes, sealed and go their way. The next scan is, when USPS open these sealed containers and empty it. It was all the years this way, that USPS tracking shows "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" until it will be scanned at USA territory. As some people here already wrote, it seems to be that hundreds of shipments waiting in the USPS facilities to be processed.

Last: I´ve used "Small Packets" all the time. These kind of shipments are limited to max 2kg and max. 50 Euros insurance. They´re transported with the standard postal services. Freight carrier like FedEx, UPS or DHL International charges a minimum of 38 Euros for 1kg weight to the USA. They have different tracking numbers and transport systems. So not all informations provided here are correct.

Best regards and thanks again for all the help, Jurgen

P.S.: Yesterday the first of the 17 parcels reaches it´s recipient! And today the 2nd parcel arrives in Canada! ?

• Like 15

While tracking information is more unified these days, sometimes you get more information one way than another. Some shippers also have expanded tracking at their hands but the customer does not. We all don't get or see the same information. It depends on the product the shipper has and uses as well as the recipient and what they have and use. The courier always has all the information, but the customers (both shipper and recipient) don't always get the full record and wording they'd like... unless they opt for premium service...  this is not unlike ebay or amazon tracking in that you get delayed generalized tracking but if you can plug the tracking number or reference number in to the actual shipper used, you often but not always get more detailed information and in a more time sensitive fashion.

Shipments from Canada and China used to appear stalled but when getting more detailed information you found out it arrived at port was unloaded at hub, moved to customs inspected, sent back to hub and transferred to the sorting unit and then out from there... this process usually doesn't appear anywhere and can take a few days or as little as a day. There are many variations and I paraphrase a bit. That is the gist of it though.

furthermore there is an industry created to help sellers on these sites from getting unfairly hurt by the investigative automation of ebay amazon etc... I think one such solution is called Blue shipping or Blue tracking... they fill in that information so you don't get summarily ruled against as it feed the automated process the correct, compatible full tracking information to all those sites. ;)

Edited by _The Doctor__

12 hours ago, tf_hh said:

P.S.: Yesterday the first of the 17 parcels reaches it´s recipient! And today the 2nd parcel arrives in Canada! ?

@tf_hh: Could you tell us when the original shipping date of those parcels were so the rest of us can guess at how long before ours might arrive?  Thanks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The courier always has all the information, but the customers (both shipper and recipient) don't always get the full record and wording they'd like... unless they opt for premium service... 

Something I like about FedEx is that the customer is provided with information every step of the way, but they do have high prices for international shipments.

I ordered something from Quebec in 2017 shipped via FedEx Ground, IIRC the tracking listed every depot where it was scanned and I'm on the far side of the country(2745 miles according to Mapquest). FedEx Ground is NOT a premium service.

I also worked for a small software company from 1999 to 2003 that shipped around the world, customers in almost every time zone.

I tracked one package, shipped from Burnaby BC Canada via FedEX Express, that made 3 trips between Germany and South Africa.

There was likely an issue with the customs paperwork the first time it entered South Africa, and was sent back to Germany before the issue was resolved.

2 hours ago, Krenath said:

@tf_hh: Could you tell us when the original shipping date of those parcels were so the rest of us can guess at how long before ours might arrive?  Thanks!

My shipment was one of those early ones. It shipped out on November 23 and left Germany on the 27th. I just started seeing updated tracking info. On February 11 it finally reached a USPS distribution center in Puerto Rico. Now, I'm in southern Indiana, so why in the world it's in Puerto Rico at all, I have no idea, but at least it's in the U.S., sort of, and I'm getting updates now.

Jurgen, sorry to hear you are having issues with a customer.  My stuff isn't here yet but I'm prepared to wait patiently - I know your stuff is very high quality and all of my interactions with you have been great.  You are not responsible for COVID and the various shipping companies, obviously!

I'm actually writing this because I learned something about tracking today, and I only went looking because of this thread.  Like others, I started getting the status from Deutsche Post that it had been handed off to someone not named and I might be able to get status from them.  This thread made me think that might not be a dead end.  Sure enough, I put my tracking number in on this site:

https://www.parcelmonitor.com/track-it-online/

and they were able to show that my parcel has been handed off to DHL.  DHL Paket says it's in an "Export Parcel Center" in Hamburg.

Alles Gut!  Haben einen schönen Tag!

I also put my tracking number in on the USPS site, and got about the same results as Krenath, even though I already know (or at least believe) that DHL has my package.  I do not know how to interpret that, but I'm just happy knowing where my stuff is at the moment (in Frankfurt, soon to be handed over to the carrier for the next stage of its journey).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krenath said:

It's probably best to not judge your order's approximate arrival date by when any others made it to their respective recipients.  Things are just too fluid right now.

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

It's probably best to not judge your order's approximate arrival date by when any others made it to their respective recipients.  Things are just too fluid right now.

They may not be too far off-base though. My package hadn't seen a tracking update in over two months. I just happened to see that Jurgen mentioned that one of this early batch of orders had finally reached it's destination. That prompted me to check my tracking and that's when I saw mine had finally made to Puerto Rico. Their packages may still be a long way out, but it may give them some sort of really rough idea. Definitely nothing that they can hang their hats on though.

• Like 1

Came here to relate my very positive experience with Jurgen.  Reading through the posts, I can't believe how lucky I apparently got.

My Sys-Check shipped January 4th and arrived January 28th. The last status message on the USPS site said something like "delivered to agent for delivery," and showed the green check like it had been delivered. I was out, texted home, but no package (no mail at all) yet, made a mental note to email Jurgen and see if he knew what that message meant.

When I got home a few hours later, there was already an email from Jurgen, who was also confused by the message and wanted to check with me. The guy selling me the stuff was on top of its delivery info as tightly as I was.

The other thing waiting for me was my Sys-Check; I guess that message means it's on the route carrier's truck headed to your home.

Here's hoping things start coming through for folks... and many thanks to Jurgen for his products and his service. He's one of the Good Guys.

Seems some of the parcels are starting to show life which is great for those waiting, just amazing how far away from people some of the parcels seems to route (Puerto Rico??). Its like theres and ongoing game of "how far can we send these parcels around the globe the wrong way". These parcels should be getting air miles :)

Here's hoping all the parcels turn up ASAP and Jurgen can share a sigh of relief (as well as his customers)..

In this way of things at the moment it seems to be a case of "if it can go wrong it will go wrong"...Come back normality, we miss you...

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Postal services are one of those things that get easily knocked, but once they're gone they are sorely missed.

Governments like to mess with them, tinker with them, screw them up. It happens all over the world.

On a plus note, this thread makes me want a Sys Check, email sent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Seems some of the parcels are starting to show life which is great for those waiting, just amazing how far away from people some of the parcels seems to route (Puerto Rico??). Its like theres and ongoing game of "how far can we send these parcels around the globe the wrong way". These parcels should be getting air miles :)

You ain't a kiddin'!

I had an order recently that made it from the west coast to St. Louis fairly quickly. St. Louis is only about 2.5-3 hours away from Evansville, and I know a lot of mail comes from there via USPS semi, so I figured I'd have it in a day or two. But noooooo, according to the tracking, it went back and forth between St. Louis and Dallas three times for some strange reason, before finally staying in St. Louis to finally make the trip east to Evansville. It took almost another ten days before I finally got it. It was definitely a well traveled package by the time I received it. Efficiency at it's finest!

Edited by bfollowell

5 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I never tried changing the os’s.  wasn’t sure how to do it and what OS to try. 

It comes with 4 OS's on it, the DIP switches are used to select internal/external and which external is active, they can also be updated with the SYSCHECK flash utility.

It can come in handy for running software that requires a 400/800 compatible OS, no need for a translator disk or internal modification. I believe an XL/XE OS with hi-speed patch is already installed, Ominview80 could be flashed to an OS bank to allow testing 80 column mode, whatever OS you want to try can be easily flashed.

52 minutes ago, BillC said:

It comes with 4 OS's on it, the DIP switches are used to select internal/external and which external is active, they can also be updated with the SYSCHECK flash utility.

It can come in handy for running software that requires a 400/800 compatible OS, no need for a translator disk or internal modification. I believe an XL/XE OS with hi-speed patch is already installed, Ominview80 could be flashed to an OS bank to allow testing 80 column mode, whatever OS you want to try can be easily flashed.

Yeah thank you. I actually understood that you could flash it and I tried the included OS’s that come pre-flashed.   The OS B is a great suggestion as I have that on my U1MB and can confirm my Demon Attack and K-Star patrol carts run when using it.

OmniView80 and OS B are good ideas.  Is there a SYS-Check specific flasher or a generic tool?   Do the OS’s have to be specifically formatted or any copy of found on the “information super highway” would work?  

31 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

OmniView80 and OS B are good ideas.  Is there a SYS-Check specific flasher or a generic tool?   Do the OS’s have to be specifically formatted or any copy of found on the “information super highway” would work?  

The firmware, documentation, flashing software, etc. are in a ZIP file available through a link in the PDF linked below.

http://www.van-radecke.de/STUFF/tfhh_HW_info.pdf

It's been a while, but IIRC when running the SYSFLASH utility it asks for OS source file and desired position within the ROM bank.

Even if the flash fails there is a BIN file of the original ROM contents included, this allows restoring the flash ROM, or flashing a replacement if the original fails.

PS: Even the JED files for the GAL chips are included in case they need to be replaced

Edited by BillC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1